Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Western Digital Or Maxtor External Hard Drives

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Which is the better of the two?

Thanks

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 1:22 am
Just bought a 500 gig Maxtor 2 months ago (upgraded from a 80 gig Western). I like the maxtor. Seems faster although it might just be in my head.

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 1:28 am
Just got a 2nd Western Digital 500 gb HD from Costco. It was like $108 or somethin.

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 1:34 am
I had a feeling that western digital had a better reputation than maxtor... But I don't really have any evidence either way!

I'm sure somebody said to me a while ago to go for either western digital or seagate.

To be honest there's probably not much in it, but I'd go for which ever one has the best/longest warranty- that way, if it goes wrong you should be able to get a replacement!

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 1:45 am
They're both good brands, including Seagate as andy mentioned. He raised a good point, warranty. There's not much to seperate most drives in terms of performance/reliability from the major companies around the same price level - therefore warranty is may be considered during your purchase. The best drive will have the largest cache and highest rpm (there are other factors, but these are the biggest/most commonly available statistics).

A lot of xbox hackers use maxtor drives (for a technical compatibility reason) of sizes 250GB and possibly above for use as a media server and they work just fine.

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 1:49 am
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
Just got a 2nd Western Digital 500 gb HD from Costco. It was like $108 or somethin.

When was that? I need another driver for my videos

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 2:31 am
fatkatzdj wrote :

When was that? I need another driver for my videos

Like 2 days ago. I couldn't believe it.

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 2:38 am
HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Have been using Western Digital 500gig hard for 1 year- LOVE it- prices keep dropping. Great quality- great phone support too. Def go with them.

news break...they now have a 2 TERABYTE (20,000 gig) external HD.

go for it.

B

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 3:18 am
500 Gig SATA and PATA drive can be had for about $100 if you shop around. I usually get my stuff from www.tigerdirect.com. You can get an external even cheaper if you buy the enclosure and the drive separately. BTW the 1TB and 2TB drives (which in most cases are two 500 gigs or two 1TB drives) are cheaper than you might think. Stock up!

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 5:30 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I sell them since I have my own PC shop, WD is better for sure than Maxtor. All tough Seagate bought Maxtor and it is better now, I still recommend Western Digital.

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 12:35 pm
DJ-ALF wrote :
...WD is better for sure than Maxtor. All tough Seagate bought Maxtor and it is better now, I still recommend Western Digital.

My sentiments exactly.

Posté Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 1:09 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)