Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet VIRTUALDJ V5.0 SLOWER AT SEARCHES - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Hey guys,
I have to say, I just came back from doing a wedding and VirtualDJ 5.0rev.2 totally rocked. The only question I have is this. I did a full scan to all my music and videos. I recursed all 4 of my external drives, I also added all the drives manually to the search DB, I did a full scan on all drives for genre, etc. I presently have about 220,000 mp3's and about 11,000 videos. when I do a search, I get the sort screen and there's a big delay before I see my search results on the screen. I never had this problem with V4.3. Aside from that V5.0rev.2 is working really well for me.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:23 am
yeah..

i found this glitch type thingy too...

for me tho it turns out that if i am in root then the searrch takes longer and sometimes it freezes, but if im in a folder with a few songs and then seach, it searches really fast...and the whole freezing thing happened when i was two and a half hours into the gig...

i think this is because it splits the search into files in the folder and elsewhere....so if you are in root and then search, the results take longer...

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:33 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 8:36 am

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 10:24 am
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The link is probably for pro users only...

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 12:21 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
it is filter to at least home edition user level.. sorry

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 12:39 pm
cstoll,
I just tried your recomendation of recursing all my folders and then sorting by artist and by title. Once I did that, I hit the asterisk key and did the same, sorted by artist and by title. The whole process went pretty quick I didn't have to wait that long. The last step I did was shutdown VirtualDJ and bring it back up, I did not see any improvements on my searched, what did happen was alot of files came up with the yellow question mark as though VirtualDj had never seen them before, I also lost the length and bpm for those files. They were both mp3's and videos. Now, I'm in the process of rescaning those files. this happened to me before. What can I do to stop losing info?

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 6:28 pm
1. Have you downloaded and installed V5 Rev2 yet?
2. So the sorting is better - and have you gone to the link above and read the info there? It explains allot.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 6:31 pm
Yes, I'm running VirtualDj 5.0rev.2, I have gone to the link above. I followed your instructions for sorting.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 6:36 pm
What about the post (3rd down) that talks about Search Issues?

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:02 pm
I believe I've done all of that. When imported my database to VDJ, I recursed, added to search DB, I also did genre/year, etc from tag. Then I went to the browser tab and checked, cleaned and fixed all my external hard drives. After that, I went to the gathering info area and set tags and comment to never read. Last step, I shutdown VDJ and brought it back up. I have done these procedures numerous times, but my searches are still a bit slow.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:13 pm
If got about half you collections size and yes alittle lag on first couple letters - but I can equate that to having a single core system that's 3 years old.

What type of hard drive are you using? And how many are there in the system?

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:25 pm
My system is a Dell XPS M2010, the specs are as follows:
processor: core 2 duo T7600 (2.33Mhz)
video card: ATI X1800
ram: 2Gigs (667Mhz)
hard drives: 2 hitachi 100gig (7,200rpm) in raid. (super clean, no music or videos just OS)
external hard drives: 2 seagate 750gb & 2 maxtor 300gb all are 7,200rpm.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:34 pm
What type of connection are the externals ?
If USB are they hubbed? Or to dedicated ports on the system?
If FireWire are they 400 or 800 are you running them daisy chained?

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:44 pm
The 2 300gb hard drives are hooked up to a powered hub. The 750gb are in a coolgear dual external case hooked up directly to the computer. All drives are connected USB.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 7:49 pm
OK, quick test. Your choice of which to do first. Only run the 750s, how well does search work? Only run the 300s, same question?

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 8:13 pm
I have the 750's connected now and I just ran a test. It looks like they search alot faster than when I have all drives connected. Another question I have is if I purchase an ExpressCard with firewire800 will it help. Will I get the true 800 speed, cuz I heard ExpressCards are a waste of money because they don't give you the speed they say they do.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 8:19 pm
Did you say that hub for the 300's was a powered hub?

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 8:21 pm
Yes, it's a Belkin powered hub, I have the 2 300gb hard drives, the DAC-3 and my Gigaport AG connected to it.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 8:23 pm
Man, there's the problem.

I wouldn't have all that in one hub - the data traffic is fighting the audio data traffic. How many USB ports on your computer.

Posté Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 8:27 pm
74%