Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Help-I Somehow Botched My Databse! - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
using vdj 5

my main drive is my external

my backup is my d drive should the external fail. all songs are not backedup to the d drive but most.

tonight I decided that maybe I should analyze the songs on the d drive so when the external fails ill have songs ready to go on my d drive...sounds good eh? or was this a bad idea?

load vdj5 and get database corrupted on both d and f! I have duplicates showing up in the database...is this normal? personally don't like it. next... I have bpms and lengths missing from songs on my F drive that's my primary.

do I have to rescan everything to get em back including the files on my d drive that haven't been scanned yet?

help. I'm stuck. I tried the fix in config browser and it didn't recover the missing information.

thanks!

Posté Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 6:12 am
ackkkkkkkkkkkk my cues are gone too!!! anyway to recover all of this? aaaaaarrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posté Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 8:29 am
do you still have 4.3 installed? and did you setup you cues etc in 4.3?
if so, i wonder if you reinstall 5.0 if it would re-read the database file from 4.3 and import it to 5.0 if that database is still current.

donno if your a muti version user on 1 machine like i am, but if so you might be in luck

hopefully someone would correct me if i am wrong. i dont want to be incorrect on a sensitive issue :) as for now im off to bed "last post 4 the night"

Posté Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 8:52 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You have new option in V5 to fix it, try it in VDJ Settings.

Posté Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 2:21 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
JayMSY wrote :
using vdj5
my main drive is my external
my backup is my d drive should the external fail.
load vdj5 and get database corrupted on both d and f! I have duplicates showing up in the database...is this normal?

JayMSY - I need to know 2 things and then we can straighten this - very easily.

1. What O/S? XP? Vista?
2. Did you upgrade to V5 when this happened? Because you started your post of by saying 'using vdj5' but then you say 'load vdj5..' with 'duplicates'.

Just let me know and we will have it straight by days end.

cstoll

Posté Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 3:05 pm
1) XP
2) No. I had already loaded VJD5 on it and everything was great minus the titler that you know about. :)

I have a lot, not all, of the same music on my primary drive backed up on the D drive in the laptop. I keep music on the D drive for when the external decides to not work I can use the music on the D drive (internal).

In VDJ4 I used "favorites" for folders and used recurse. Didn't have any duplicates in the database then.

I clicked on the D drive last night to see if the songs on there were analyzed (bpms, lengths, etc) and they were not. So I thought "hmm perhaps I should analyze these tracks so WHEN the external goes down I won't be stranded and have songs analyze when I load them." Well this created duplicates in the database. Personally, I would not like for the songs on the D drive to show in the database but if they have to so be it. My F external is my primary drive.

After analyzing SOME of the songs on the D drive I stopped the process to close out VDJ because it came time for me to use it to DJ. When I first loaded it up it said the database was corrupted on both D and F drives. I went into the config and told it "fix" but it didn't do that. I think I tried all of the choices including "Clean" and the other one.

A lot of BPMs and Lengths for songs on my primary F drive (external) were missing! I then loaded a song that had all that information still intact only to find my cue's for that song was gone! I then loaded some other songs only to find those cues too were gone.

I have not added a lot of songs since I started using VDJ5, which was Wednesday Sept 5. I still have my 4.3 database because I still have 4.3 on the laptop.

1) Could we reuse the 4.3 database and it bring back all the missing information and cues? If so how?
2) Having backup files/songs on the D drive - is it a good idea to have those analyzed before the external crashes? If so...
3) How can I get the songs on the D drive not to show up in the browser?

I'd rather not use, or be able to choose, the songs on the D drive when the F drive is working.

Thanks C!

-Jay

Posté Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 8:47 pm
OK, so let's start by rebuilding using your 4.3 database.

Go to your F: Drive's root and rename the file - VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml - use .old or .bad
Go to your D: Drive's root and rename the file - VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml - use .old or .bad
Got to your My Documents-> VirtualDJ folder and rename the file - VirtualDJ Database v5.xml - use .old or .bad
Now there in the VirtualDJ folder you should see a copy of your v4.x database - VirtualDJ Database(username).xml

So far, in good shape ?

Now close those dialogs and Launch VirtualDJ. Be patient at first as it's building the v5 database files, so you might see a slight delay in VirtualDJ getting to the main interface.

Now once in VirtualDJ -> Go straight to the Config->Browser Tab and change the Search Database to 'Add Manually' - Click OK
Now back at the VDJ interface, go to the left browser panel, drill through the Desktop item until you get to your F: Drive.
Right click and choose - recurse -- let it work... when done,
Right click and choose - Add to Search DB -- let it work

Shut down and restart VirtualDJ.

What happens...?

I will give you the next steps once you report back.

cstoll

Posté Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 9:26 pm
"Now close those dialogs and Launch VirtualDJ."

I did that and the X box pops up with Database on F drive is Corrupted. Tells me to go to Config/Browser and click "Fix" to fix the F: database.

Was this supposed to happen?

So I did what it said first...fix the database then I did your instructions.

I shutdown the cpu and restart then restart VDJ and the X box appears again saying the database on F is corrupted.

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 12:20 am
In your F: drive root, is there now 2 VirtualDJ Local Database files? The old one and a new XML ?

How big is the XML file?

Also, do you have iTunes on this machine?

cstoll

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 1:02 am
Yes there are 2 files. the xml and the xml-old

xml = 1,879KB
xml-old = 2,270KB

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to Itunes! Never had it don't plan on having it!

Now when I open VDJ5.2 it opens fine. No database errors and I am finding my cue's in the songs.

What about the D (internal) backup music folder? Is it even possible to have VDJ scan those files so WHEN, not IF, the external decides not to work I can use the files on the D drive but yet not have them show up in the brower thus causing duplicates?

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 1:21 am
What I did was leave the external out and analyzed the C drive. So when you hook up the external put your external as your favorite and not touch the internal drive until you need it. I like this since each drive has it's own XML.

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 1:36 am
Hmmm so leave out the external and then analyze the tracks on the D drive? Won't I have duplicates showing up in the database when I plug back up the external? Ie: When I search for "Jayskee" my edits and mashups will show up twice?

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 1:39 am
I use 2 externals and have everything backup on internal drive. I forgot that I had an internal drive until your situation.

CSTOLL >> did I do something different or was it chanced that everything worked the way it did. ( just double checking my info ) I don't want to mess with the man's database since he just got it running again.

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 1:48 am
OK, so everything is back up - and to your liking so far.

So let's talk that 'backup'.

So first is No, you don't need to have the drive disconnected.
Second is, the reason I had you change the Search Database option to add manually is so we can analyze the D: data and it won't get added to the search. No duplicates then.... if you need them added, then all you need to do it Recurse the D: and the manually 'Add to Search DB'
So, yes need to analyze the D: data now. But one thing you can try, is if there is a D: drive XML, delete it and copy the F: drive XML to the D: drive location. Open VDJ, and run a CHECK, CLEAN and FIX on the D: drive. You may be able to get some of the info from the F: drives database if your back up structure is the same as your F: drive and the filenames are the same.

HOWEVER, want a cool trick - for handling duplicates with backups... (well cool use of the filter folders)

Create 2 Filter folders - Jay, I will use your drives since I know the letters - fatkatz you'll figure it out --

Filter Name - F: Drive
Filter String - filepath contains F:

Filter Name - D: Drive
Filter String - filepath contains D:

Now add all your files to the Search database.

When you are at the gig - click on F: drive filter -- this will show all your F: drive files. If you do a search all the ones above the line are on the F: Drive and the ones below the line are on your backup (D:)

There are lots of ways to use the filters.

Hope we are getting you back up and not to far off topic.

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 2:06 am
my structure on the drives are the same. the only thing different is, due to space, not all files are backed up on the d drive.

my structure is
f:\music\(subfolders) with older music files in the music folder. my edits and mashups, rmx services, montly files folders, etc.

I will give the filter folders and other things you mentioned a try tomorrow. I called it a day at the office and now home watching a close game between baltimore and cincy!

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 2:49 am
Filter Name - F: Drive
Filter String - filepath contains F:

Filter Name - D: Drive
Filter String - filepath contains D:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

When I did the one for the D Drive I see a blue folder for D: Drive but when I click on it no files show up. I typed the string just like you had except I did "filepath contains D:\\Music" since all my music are in that folder and its subfolders.

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 10:04 pm
OK, Did you recurse your d:\\Music folder, then right click on the d:\\Music folder again and select 'Add to Search DB' ?

If not, then that's why there are no results for the D: drive filter folder.

cstoll

Posté Tue 11 Sep 07 @ 11:42 pm
Wow! I'm so glad I found this thread. I was getting corrupted database errors and I thought I lost all my bpms and cue points but the steps that cstoll posted helped me get everything back from the 4.3 database. Wheww!

Posté Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 6:05 pm

Posté Wed 12 Sep 07 @ 6:42 pm
CS...no I didn't do that. That explains why I didn't see them. I'm going to hold off on doing that because I dont want to have duplicates in the database at the moment.

When I put in * in the search box I the duplicates show back to back.

ie: Black Eyed Peas - My Humps (Ferry Corsten Mashup)
Black Eyed Peas - My Humps (Ferry Corsten Mashup)
Jody Watley - I Want Your Love (Soulcast - Jayskee Mixshow)
Jody Watley - I Want Your Love (Soulcast - Jayskee Mixshow)

Seeing duplicates like that with * in the search box will cross my eyes. LOL

Posté Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 12:45 am
91%