Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet DJ Gear and Set Ups and Humming

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

djzim4PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi everyone

I love this forum, I always come away with some new ideas.

I have been DJing wedding and stuff for almost 3 years. I have been through so much gear... amps, cd players, speakers, lights etc.

I was wondering if you people could let me know your gear and what it is like.

I am asking this question becuase I find my system really hums and was wondering how you might eliminate the hum.

I use Virtual DJ on a HP Laptop
It runs through a Gigaport AG
This runs into my ION DJ Station
It runs into my Behringer EQ
Then into my Cross over
One channel out to the mains and the other to my Sub
My mains run off a Gemini XPM-900 Amp
My sub runs off a Gemini XPB-1600 Amp
Everything is plugged into a Furman M-8L
I used Yamaha S115-IV Speakers
The subs are a mixture of Yamaha and Madison.

Please let me know your ideas, or tell me about your gear and if you have been able to eliminate too much hum.

Thanks
DJZim4

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 1:14 am
djzim4 wrote :
Hi everyone

I love this forum, I always come away with some new ideas.

I have been DJing wedding and stuff for almost 3 years. I have been through so much gear... amps, cd players, speakers, lights etc.

I was wondering if you people could let me know your gear and what it is like.

I am asking this question becuase I find my system really hums and was wondering how you might eliminate the hum.

I use Virtual DJ on a HP Laptop
It runs through a Gigaport AG
This runs into my ION DJ Station
It runs into my Behringer EQ
Then into my Cross over
One channel out to the mains and the other to my Sub
My mains run off a Gemini XPM-900 Amp
My sub runs off a Gemini XPB-1600 Amp
Everything is plugged into a Furman M-8L
I used Yamaha S115-IV Speakers
The subs are a mixture of Yamaha and Madison.

Please let me know your ideas, or tell me about your gear and if you have been able to eliminate too much hum.

Thanks
DJZim4

in my experience, a 3 prong to 2 prong AC adapter will usually fix the source of the hum. especially if your laptop or mixer have a 3 prong plug and nothing else does.

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 1:19 am
A few ground loop isolators between your sound card and mixer works wonders. I use two sound cards, deck 1 & 2 from my herc mk2 and my internal laptop card for 3rd channel (samples/ preview). I had humming sound sound too, put the ground loop isolators between all three card outputs and my mixer and the humming is gone. I don't remember how I was able to live without them now;^]

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 1:27 am
Ditto on the ground loop isolators, they are a godsend to the computer DJ

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 2:29 am
this is a ground issue... Most mixers have a seprate groun out on them... this happened to me... also when djing weddings make sure that you go to homedepo and get top of the line power chords.... this will also increase your amps...

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 3:26 am
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I mainly work in nightclubs, but recently i have done 2 weddings for family and a friend.

I've often read about these 'hums' and possible solutions from using ground loops isolators to temporarily disconnecting the earth wire.

In 4 different nightclubs i get no hum or background noise from my HP laptop, but while doing both of these weddings i got very bad noise problems.

I used isolators, removed the earth and even used an expensive mains conditioner and it didn't solve the problem.

I'm not an electronics expert, but i've found that the distance between the laptop and the amplifiers made the difference between hum and no hum.

I've never had the problem in nightclubs, but in all the clubs i've worked in the amps, lights and mixers have all had their own separate power supplies and the amps are always a long way away from the mixer & laptop.

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 5:17 am
European guys don't have this issue (they don't use grounds as far as I can recall). For us in North America it can be a bit** trying to solve this issue. The hum can be caused by any piece of equipment in the chain creating a ground loop or hum. It can also sometimes be a buzz caused by a bad cable picking up noise as well. A good way to check if it's the computer if you happen to be using a laptop is to unplug it and use battery power to see if the hum disappears. If it does you will need to use ground isolators on your sound card outputs to the mixer to best remove the hum. I that doesn't work you may need to use a cheater which will change a grounded plug to 2 prong. In many places these are illegal however so be careful if you do that. Some cheap mixers (several numarks come to mind sorry) can pick up noise all on their own due to defective shielding especially on microphone channels. I've since purchased myself a decent mixer (denon dnx500) for my mobile gigs and had no issues.

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 4:00 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
No, we do have grounds, but we call it 'earth' not 'ground'

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 8:01 pm
Can you guys imagine what would happen if you removed the grounding post from a lightening rod? Suffice to say it'd be asking for trouble, same with removing grounding posts from our equip., better to stay safe & just use the ground loop isolators;^]

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 9:47 pm
Timmyg1978 wrote :
Can you guys imagine what would happen if you removed the grounding post from a lightening rod? Suffice to say it'd be asking for trouble, same with removing grounding posts from our equip., better to stay safe & just use the ground loop isolators;^]

Gentlemen, please read again. This is common sense.

Posté Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 10:49 pm
themrfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You can always go to Rat Shack and purchase a 12Volt power supply that has a cigarette lighter outlet on it. Get the automotive power supply for your laptop and plug it into it. Sure it is a bit more clunky but you will have enough power to last through a gig, and the DC power does not create the humm.

Mrf

Posté Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 7:17 am
dj scutPRO SubscriberMember since 2013
excuse me guys but to some this may sound idiotic but i have noticed that some laptops dont take well to the settings of some sound cards........the fix is to go into the sound card settings and mute the monitor levels if u r not using them.....it has worked repeatedly for me and some other djs that i have helped w/the same issue

Posté Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 4:26 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)