Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Converting To AVI!

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi All,

I have seen this topic covered in various places places on the board but would like a little more specific advice.

I have ripped a number of music dvds to vob (mpeg) using Dvd Decypter using tophouses instructions with ease and they work fine, I am now in a a position where I would like to encode them to AVI to save disk space on my lappy.

I have been experimenting using TMPGEnc.4 Express (highy recomended) and I think the program looks wonderful, I have yet to find a encoding setting that will shrink an mpeg (around 180Mb) to AVI around half that size or under. I have aquired lots of AVI's that are around 40-50Mb and play fine with very little difference to the mpgs I have.

I have tried using Divx, Xvid and H264, dropped the quantizer and even compressed the audio to mp3 (198kps), I have still experienced crappy encoding with output file sizes alittle under 100Mb which I would like smaller.

Does Anyone use this software? have some settings they would share with me and help me out with my fustration.
Lee

Posté Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 2:11 pm
AVI is a strange format, and as you have found, it comes in many guises, raw, divx, xvid etc etc. Also you may find that some machines will choke a little when decrypting some of these compressions. Some have no problems with it and I'm sure you will get answers here from both sides. I stay with my nice high quality mpeg1's for 2 reasons. They decrypt nice and fast & easy with little effort from the machine, they look good, and the file size is still quite a bit less than vob, oh, and the audio quality is still great.

For me, it's mpeg1 all the way, others will disagree and give other suggestions, but out of those, it's up to you to go with what you feel happy with.

Posté Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 5:26 pm
Thankyou Tophouse for your help, I agree as well Mpeg is the best quality, and i am loathed in some ways to convert to AVI as it is a minefield but I am very low on diskspace and not keen at this moment in time starting with external drives.

If anyone else would care to shed some light on their avi conversitions I would much appreciate it.

Posté Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 7:24 pm
avi is a "container" that can actually use many different codecs to arrive at an "avi". As I understand it (and any video experts out there correct me if I am wrong) true AVI was the original microsoft video format (Audio Video Interleave) which was kind of the video equivalent of and audio wav file so the files were virtually 1:1 quality and HUUUUUUGE. As compression tequniques came along they compressed the video (and audio) but kept calling them avi usign varios different codecs. Typically today no matter what format or codec you use you theoraticallty get the same results between formats (mp4, mpeg2, avi, divx, etc.) as long as you are ripping in the "same as original mode".

Where the differences in quality come in is when you start compressing things by modifying the rip passes, sample rate, frame rate, etc., and there to get the best quality for file size trade off is a matter of (a) personal preference, (b) final viewing device, (c) your combination of settings and (d) how good is your codec.

All else being equal and all the settings set properly by "experts" for the same file size h.264 (which can be .avi or mp4) is generally acknowleged as the best (especially in the 1080i mode), followed by dixv and mpeg actually far down on the list by todays standards.

Right now I do all my videos in .avi 720x480 resolution, using the divx6.6.1 codec with "same as original" settings with 16 bit pcm (.wav) audiosettings using a program called "ImTooDVD Ripper Platimum". There is NO compression form the original DVD and it is an exact 1:1 of the DVD video and audio. I need .avi to be able to edit them in Sony Vegas. The file sizes are large, but harddrives are CHEAP these days and when the compression wars have leveled off a bit (and VDJ supprts h264) I will start experimenting with compression (probably h264 with 192kb mp3 audio) of the videos I have completed editing on, that will eventually shrink their size to about 1/10 of existing with no apparent lose in resolution (if properly configured).

Posté Mon 24 Sep 07 @ 6:45 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)