Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet What people say that get on your nerves - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Don't you just hate these to 2 saying's

1. Are you the DJ, ( thinking to myself, no I just like standing here for the fun of it )

2. Have you got that song that goes like..............

Really gets on my nerves, lol

Jimmy b

Posté Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 6:58 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
haha,, u got that rite.. lol..

Posté Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 7:02 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I would keep an old cell phone that is out of service..and hand it to them and tell them to call someone to come and get them. They obviously lack the tools to operate a car after asking such an obvious question.

Posté Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 7:17 pm
Yeah I get that Are you the dj all the time so I tell them no I am a car salesman and offer them a great deal on a car then they look at me like i am crazy.

Posté Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 9:22 pm
are you the dj?
"No, but I play one on TV."
"No, I was just seeing how these headphones work."
"No sir/ma'am, I just stand up here all night and let people throw money at me"

this one takes practice with a poker face...
"Is this where we make requests?"
"we have a new system for that. you have to go to the front door, they put it on a piece of paper and then walk it up here/email it up here, so we can keep track of requests, then we can play it"
AND YES... THEY DO!... our door man has walked up with a huge grin on his face with requests papers in hand!

these keep coming up more and more lately....
"can i use your computer to check my email/myspace/download a song for me/make me a cd?"

everything else they say is pretty much standard drunkenese.

Posté Sun 11 Nov 07 @ 10:11 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Your sh!te

Posté Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 3:32 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
"Give me the 2 bears!" LOL

Posté Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 6:17 pm
This happend on Saturday. A woman came up to me and said it was her 31st birthday and if she could request a song. I responded by saying " depending on what it is". It was a song that did not fit the club format at all. Well, she went away. Sometime later a guy came up to me and ask for the same song in which I replied " it has already been requested ". Later that evening a different person asked for the same song. Now, I'm really annoyed so I got on the mic and said while the person was still standing there " the next person that comes up to me and request the *** song. I will cuss your ass out and not think twice about doing it". The person left angry with my point accross.

The Sad part is sometime at the peak time of my set, I rolled into techno and before the songs breakdown. I thaught that same stupid song would fit perfectly in the rhythm of this song. I threw it on and filter the low end. Perfect!!!

The next thing I hate it people asking for request after I just made last call or all the music has stopped and they come asking for another song. I just told you we were closed and you want to fight with me about a song.

Songs that you play on a regular routine so you decide that your not going to play it that night. It's always those songs that get requested the most that night.

I know how you feel about people coming up and asking if this the place to request. I'm going to start using the front door answer... hehe

Posté Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 8:53 pm
i have made a sign saying that a "request is $1 and ill be with you in one minute" but its only where i can see it and i have to point it out. but of couse they come ask while im on the mic and my hands are flying trying to get the next song going and all the cues, samples and everythng else set, so in the the midst of all that i just point to the sign and more often than not they shell out a buck. but since i do mostly weddings i tell them that all request funds will be givin to the bride and groom as part of the dollar dance funds. so it all works in the end but when they go for a song that doesnt fit ill say that i dont have it, but if they do ill try to work it in somewhere, they break out the ipod and i dont even try to play off it even though i can.

Posté Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 9:38 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
People that bring in cd's or ipods expecting you to play their song.
People that request a song and expect it to be straight away and get angry if its not
People that demand (almost to physical level) one last song after the computer has been quickly shut down. Ive had one guy threaten to bash me because I wouldnt play one more song luckily someone else got into a fight with him while he was waiting outside.

Posté Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 2:04 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Another one I get is at the end of the night I turn the music down and say "it's the last one from me, hope you had a good one, and have a safe journey home.

Then I always get someone saying "Is that your last song" I just laugh to myself.

Jimmy b

Posté Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 3:43 am
LOCAL WANNABEE HIP-HOPPERS WHO WANT YOU TO PLAY THEIR DEMO CD!!!
"come on dog you gotta spin this! its a (insert hood slang descriptive here) song!"

in 10 years at the same club i have had 1 song from 1 guy that i even THOUGHT about playing. and i STILL threw it in the trash.

or these:
"can you play one more" after closing is definitly annoying, especially from customers who have sat on their ass all night long cause you didnt play what they wanted to hear when they wanted it, because as you know, dj's are psychic and should already know what the customer wants so they dont have to move their lazy butts.

crap... i gotta stop before i get to worked up to enjoy a night off...

Posté Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 6:05 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
My personal favs:

1) Are you going to play something good? (No I only play crap music)
2) Do you have Shakira? (when I'm doing my Deep House or Acid Jazz night)
3) What DOOO you have? (when I've said 'dont have that' to at least 5 tracks which have nothing to do with my set)
4) Can I mix your next record?

Posté Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 3:10 pm
Paz75 wrote :
My personal favs:

1) Are you going to play something good? (No I only play crap music)
2) Do you have Shakira? (when I'm doing my Deep House or Acid Jazz night)
3) What DOOO you have? (when I've said 'dont have that' to at least 5 tracks which have nothing to do with my set)
4) Can I mix your next record?

#1 happens all the time - and since i am very request oriented... they have only themselves and their drunk friends to blame.
#2 the one time shakira was played in the building (hips dont lie of course) i watched the dance floor empty and the other dj get confused cause the song was such a hit and people asked him for it all the time when he was dj'ing other places.. he dont work here no more.
#3 are we supposed start spouting off the database tracklistings? are they gonna keep asking for songs we would have no possible reason to even think about having?
#4 is almost as bad as asking to have sex with the girlfriend/wife/etc...

my favorite saying lately is from one of the owners - "you need to play "gimme more'" and then watch his confused look when the floor empties.

Posté Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 6:31 pm
and last night in the middle of a COUNTRY CONCERT for cryin' out loud...

"i love this guy's music, but you should play some booty shakin' music in between his songs!"

yep. them's my customers.

Posté Fri 16 Nov 07 @ 10:00 pm
I'm getting to the point where I want to say " F*Ck OFF" but instead I give them the "Gas Face" and turn away from them. I'm too busy to fight with them. I have to find my next cue and I leave them standing there and I turn up my monitor... The funny thing is these people still try to talk to me through the monitor... DAH! How stupic can you be? It all sounds like charley brown to me.

Posté Fri 16 Nov 07 @ 11:35 pm
yeah, i share your sentiments mate. however we have to remind ourselves that djs are not like normal people. See my thread here:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/80439/Mix_lessons/DJ_Genres.html

The classical sense of a DJ is to provide music to the people. Because the DJ started when radio was invented, we were terraformed (so to speak) against this system. Radio management these days is about playing the status quo and people love to hear themselves talk, so take every chance to make requrests. For those DJs like myself that deal in format rather than playing any pop track asked of us, the status quo of sheep feels out of place.

hence the stupid requests. they dont understand how to recognize what kind of night they walk into and think it's acceptable to just approach any dj and ask for whatever they feel like.

ali dubfire from Deep Dish had a dude climb over the dj booth to ask him for some stupid-ass request. he could only smile and say no. i would love to menace at these people with a blood-dripping axe but as the person who is there to provide entertainment, we have to find a semi-nice way to get rid of them.....

a 'f##k off im mixing' t-shirt often helps ;-)

Posté Sat 17 Nov 07 @ 7:00 am
I bought a sticker from a 25 cent sticker machine and posted it on the door to my dj booth.

"The voices in my head don't like you"

Really cut down on the silly requests

Posté Sat 17 Nov 07 @ 5:29 pm
we really need a good sticky thread for "Dumbest / Most Annoying request/question of the night."

have you seen my phone?
do you have my phone?
could you stop the music and ask everyone if they have my phone?
could you help me find my phone? i think i lost it on the dancefloor (while she was dancing around with 400 other people...) but i cant rememeber where i was.
can you turn on the house lights / some brighter lights, so i can look for my phone?

AND THE REALLY BAD PART ABOUT ALL OF THIS....

she was sober.

really stupid.

but sober.

there is no hope.

Posté Sat 17 Nov 07 @ 7:47 pm
LOL! You never know, she may have been cranked on lithium or something...

Posté Sun 18 Nov 07 @ 4:43 am
9%