Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Sujet VB

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

nscodeHome userMember since 2003
Did anyone make plugins in Visual Basic? Could you give others some backbone structure?

Posté Mon 14 Jul 03 @ 10:49 am
sketchPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Is this possible? The author said so, but if anybody has an examples these would be greatly appreciated.

Sketch

Posté Wed 23 Jul 03 @ 10:10 pm
Yep, some visual basic help would also be helpful to me. The only SDK is for C++ or visual C :-(

Someone can help ?

thx,

Monty

Posté Thu 07 Aug 03 @ 11:39 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
There's something in the header ytalking about Com support, so it should (I think) be possible to write effects in VB, cause in VB you can write COM Objects (like ActiveX Controls)... But dont shoot me if Im wrong. Im not really a COM fanatic :S

Posté Fri 08 Aug 03 @ 3:11 pm
I know, they explicitly say it CAN be done in VB, but HOW?

Posté Sat 09 Aug 03 @ 12:14 pm
sketchPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Is there anybody out there who can understand both c++ & vb at an advanced level who can convert the header file?

Dan

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 11:47 am
I know both C++ and VB (dunno wether advanced enough ;)), but since when does VB has got something similar like header files?!?

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 12:44 pm
It doesn't. But we just need to know how to declare all the vars and procedures.

virtual HRESULT __stdcall OnLoad(TDspInit *DspInit) {return 0;}
virtual HRESULT __stdcall ComputeNewSamples(int pos,int nb,int *buffer)=0;

HRESULT (__stdcall *GetSongSamples)(int pos,int nb,int **buffer);
HRESULT (__stdcall *SendCommand)(int desk,int when,char *action);

What is the meaning of the asterix (*) in C?

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 4:06 pm
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sorry nscode, but "*" in C is something you don't have in VB, pointers!
Nevertheless it must be possible to realise plug_in in VB(I don't know how) but VB is very good to realise user interface.
Of course you can do what you want in VB but if you need a real time computing in VB, most VB programmer make... C++ dll.
So for plug_in I think you'd better to try c++. It's not so hard if you already know VB or pascal and so on.
Your code will be much faster.

I know it's not easy but in another hand, it can be usefull for you in the futur, maybe in you job.

Good luke!

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 4:38 pm
A funny thing is that i wanted to learn C the last summer, but then I discovered DJing :) Until now there was nothing I couldn't do in VB. And I supose I could do this too, but I think you are right. C is simply faster and better for the job.
But as for the pascal, I will never tuch that junk in my life. Pascal, for me, is the compexity of C, without it's power.
So,
to the book shop!

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 5:37 pm
I was thinking of something... Speed...

Why not do it in Asembler :) It will take me a year to code it, but it will be FAST!:)

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 5:38 pm
Humm... you're right too, and it's easy to do using the plug_in sdk.
asm{ ...} or something like that.
I will try in my futur plug-in!

and good idea... the book shop!
Good luke and good work.

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 7:35 pm
Assembler? Yeah why not. Good luck LOL
But no, seriously, VB indeed IS too slow for DSP Processing.
BTW: You shouldnt learn C. The Atomix Plugin API isnt C, but C++ (object-oriented). OOP can be quite hard if you come from VB, which is a procedural language. Neverthless, if you'd ever try VB.Net, it's OOP too...
And OO programming has biiig advantages, really. Maybe sometimes a bit slower, but, well, IMHO, just better design.
If you dont get the point about pointers (I didnt for a very long time!!!): once I found a very good article on the net, and after reading that one, everything became clear (and I saw God no just kidding). Ill try to find it again.

Whatever. Greetz,

Ikke

Posté Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 7:40 pm
VB def is great for UI, but terrible on speed. VB.Net is okay I guess, but C# is much cleaner. Pointers were def a hurdle for me when I was learning C++. I took computer science in college and at the core was C++, so I had lots and lots of it. Unfortunately, we learned the core low level stuff, and anything combining C,C++ and UI were all electives, and I only had 1 windows programming course. This is why I haven't attempted making any plugins (yet) because the code looks a lot like my windows programming course, and that was a pretty tough course for me, even though I squeaked out an A.

nscode, I HIGHLY reccommend learning C++. It teaches you a LOT about fundamentals, and those really stick with you no matter what language you go to after that. I had to take an assembly course, and I kinda liked it in a sick twisted way. Even though pointers are a ticking time bomb and can really screw things up horribly when not used correctly, it's worth learning them.

phatty720
dave

Posté Tue 12 Aug 03 @ 12:47 am
sup ppl ?
i was wondering if neone can make an effect that would brake 1 beat every 4 beats for example and then continue normally till the next 4th beat
like a song could be playing normaly except the 4th beat is braked to almost a stop and then it would continue normally agian till the next 4th beat and so on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

or the same effect but instead of a brake it could be a scratch

pls help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and can someone fix the sampler ,,, its good but its never perfect

thnx guys DJ SmokeY

Posté Tue 12 Aug 03 @ 1:20 am
For the sampler, what would you like exactly?

Posté Tue 12 Aug 03 @ 8:29 am
Ikke, I know its C++, I was just too lasy to type the pluses. And does ne1 even use the old, non-objec junk? :) About the VB, it is OOP... kind of. It misses some things like inherating and stuff, but objects are the cenral part of VB.
What I really like about vb is that you think WHAT to do, what briliant new feature to include. And doing it is just a few lines of code. C++ needs about a hundred just to draw a simple stupid window. And when you're done coding in C, there is a big chance it is so buggy, that it will crash your PC and probably even start a small fire inside. But sadly, MS made VB so that you can't do all the stuff you want. So, go a head and buy VC++. But things really changed with VB.Net. Again sadly, its almost a brand new language. That is why some call it the VB.NOT :)

Posté Tue 12 Aug 03 @ 9:32 am
VB OOP? Ok, maybe in a veeery little stage ;) I mean, you can't call 'button1_onclick' OOP design :S A language without basic things like (single) inheritance, sorry, isnt OOP. Jeez, and these guys of PHP saying 'We're OOP!!!!' (ok, that was exagerated, but Im not really a PHP fanatic. I mean, I hate the language (the syntax etc))
In C++ you also write code to perform what you want to do. Thats right the thing about OO Design: first ask yourself: what will this class/object do, and then implement it (ok, this is simplified, but you know what I mean) And 100 lines to draw a line? That depends. If you use existing graphical libs, even DirectX, thats, well, a little exagerated. Welcome Managed C++ (aka VC++.Net), which uses every functionality of .Net (Im not a VC++.Net guru, but C# is ok, and that resembles a lot. Drawing a line? Give me, lets say, 50 lines (which include: create a windows frame, set colors and brushes etc, and draw the line. 45 lines generated by a wizard, maximum 5 by me. Dont shoot me if it are 6 of them LOL))
C code isnt buggy. VB can be as buggy as C, just depends on your development ;) And crashing your pc... no, thats exagerated. Only the very bad ones :)

[QUOT]But sadly, MS made VB so that you can't do all the stuff you want.[ENDQUOT]
VB uses a runtime dll. You get ease of use, but limited functionality. One has to choose. And if you want more functionality: VB is very COM aware, so just write the code you cant do in VB in VC++ as a COM Component, or just in a normal Win32 DLL (altough you can have some troubles with types etc).

And yes, VB.Net is a big change. Now its quite OO, which was a prerequisite to be able to embed it in .Net (whose framework is completely splitted in classes). Can we conclude that VB6 wasnt OO at all? LOL

Just my .02

Greetz, Ikke

PS Dams, if you read this, could you add a function in the 'add message' page which shows the previous message(s), like in phpBB? Thats, well, usefull ;)

Posté Tue 12 Aug 03 @ 3:04 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)