Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Video card problems.

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

tygar2PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hello

I am new to virtual dj and need your help. My plan is to have a stable video dj setup via a laptop but am not sure what laptop spec to get so am doing my experimentation via my desktop pc.

I read here about the need for a good graphics card so I went and bought an Invidia GeForce 7300GT DDR2 AGP card with VGA, DVI-I & s-video output. The card is connected via AGP.

The problem I am having is that frequently during video playback, particularly when mixing (using hercules mk2), I get distorted video colours and colour loss in the mix. I am getting this green flicker which almost totally conceals the video image. Does anyone have a solution?
I have read here how 256mb cards seem to suffice so am confused why a 512mb card (granted that its AGP) appears to be struggling (thats what I think is happening). I have fiddled with the card settings but it does not seem to help.

Any advise would be appreciated as I need to work out my laptop spec asap.

Posté Wed 23 Jan 08 @ 10:51 am
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi, normally when people have reported green distortion in previous posts, the advice has been to update the driver.

Gary

Posté Wed 23 Jan 08 @ 2:09 pm
Hello

I managed to sort it. As discussed in another forum I downloaded XP Codec Pack,made it my Windows Media Player codec and this solved my problem!

Just one more question on graphics cards,what size card do I need to run video mixes on a laptop. I am planning to buy a dell xps and am torn between two systems,do I really need a 512mb graphics card? There is a bit of a price diffference.The specs are below

System one:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
17.0" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 graphics card
Cost: £949

System two:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7400 (2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
17.0" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
512MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX graphics card
Cost: £1349

As you can see there is a massive difference in price of £400. For this money all I see is a bit of extra processor power, a bigger hard drive (can always use external) and the Geforce 7950 GTX. Will the first machine be up to the task? Is the second machine a bit of an overkill? Mainly Im concerned about the graphics and the processor I need to run VDJ flawlessly.

regards

Posté Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 9:58 am
I wouldn't buy either of them, but thats just a personal choice.

I'm currently using this laptop, which seems to be within your budget and on special offer.

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=425621

It works very well with video, its between the prices of the ones you are looking at, and has better spec than both of them.

Gary

Posté Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 12:03 pm
Thanks GaryBr

That's seems a really good laptop! Anyone else know of a higher spec laptop than that for about £1200?

Posté Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 3:36 pm
I can tell you it really works well with VDJ, which does mean a lot. (Hearing from someone else that it works is a huge bonus!)

It has 2 video cards, both 256mb dedicated memory. You don't use them in SLI mode (together) though, you use them independantly so one powers your laptop screen and the other powers your SVHS output to external screens.

I've tried 4 laptops, as other users can vouch for i'm sure (a lot of people have offered a lot of help getting VDJ running smoothly) but i can honestly say this will work out the box without any tweaking.

Its also very well built and has a lot of good reviews for its build quality.

I'm sure others will suggest other brands and models, and of course the choice is yours.

If you have any specific questions about the laptop, feel free to ask and i'll answer.

Posté Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 9:56 pm
Thanks GaryBr

Will go down to comet and have a look.Had a trawl online and couldnt find one with same spec cheaper. Am curious though, do I ned 2 GeForce 8600 cards? Will one not suffice?

Posté Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 4:33 am
djpawPRO InfinityMember since 2006

Gary Br, hi, i see you have a nvdia SLI, i also have one, but im triyng to figure out how can you run one card for the output, and one for the laptop display, can you hellp me otu wit this isue?

Posté Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 10:43 pm
Hi djpaw,

First of all, in the Nvidia control panel make sure SLi technology is disabled (turned off) and reboot your system.

When you extend your desktop to output to a second screen, it will automatically use the 2nd video card for this.

Hope that helps?

Gary

Posté Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 11:03 am
I'd recommend www.zepto.com
They have good specs to a really competative price + they are configurable before buying (as dell) but you don't have to choose an OS (for those who already have one).

Posté Thu 21 Feb 08 @ 3:58 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)