Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Vista or XP?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

tygar2PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hello

I am about to purchase a laptop for mobile Virtual DJ VJ use and need some advise. Am I better off getting a laptop with Windows XP over one with Vista?
It's because I have read of numerous problems from vista users, have they all been sorted?
The issue I'm having is that I will be charged extra by Dell for a "downgrade" to windows XP.

Posté Sat 26 Jan 08 @ 10:43 am
It's much more important what this laptop will have onboard, what video card, how much memory and CPU. Don't try cheep ones if you earn mony on djin'.
I bought VBI platform with nVidia 8600m GT. and XP sysytem. It's Very cheap regarles to f.e. Asus G1S but be careful some new laptops does not have drivers under XP for some parts installed. Mine Laptop Do not have Wireless Card Becouse of that. If I want to install it I must work on Vista...... no comments...
And one more Thing.
Be careful also with nVidia 8600 Cards - You can't Disable turbocache function with rivatuner under XP but Some people wrote that They has no problem with that under Vista......
So as You can see. Its Hard to say. If You will Specyfy more details on what Laptop You're interested in, I can tell you more.
regards

Posté Sun 27 Jan 08 @ 8:40 pm
tygar2PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Below is the spec of the laptop I am thinking of getting.

Components
BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional
LCD 17.0" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024] edit
HARD DRIVE 160GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive edit
GRAPHICS CARD 512MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX graphics card edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
PRIMARY BATTERY 9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (80 Whr)

The laptop can be purchased either with XP Pro or Vista Home premium. Please advise on the spec and which operating system you think is best

regards

Posté Mon 28 Jan 08 @ 7:48 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
That looks like a good spec. Do you have the option for 2 Hard Drives in Raid 0? That would double your amount of space and double the speed for accessing files.

Posté Mon 28 Jan 08 @ 8:55 pm
I don't Have any Experience with This video Card : nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX
Video Card is the heart of working system VDJ, if you want to mix video.
But as it seems It is Hi-End class Notebook for Vjing.
I recently installed Vista to try this system Out. With my Video card it's not working any better than my XP Home with SP2.
it looks much better of course but nothing more for me.
So my advice is:
If You want to use this laptop only for Virtual DJ its 50/50 xp or Vista
But if You want to use any else hardware such printers, cell phones etc. 90/10 for XP! Much more drivers and checked stability of the system working with VDj by many people including me.
On Xp I am shure if I start GiG i finish it with no crashes etc..... Vista costs more and doesn't providing me any better penformance, and any less Cpu Consuption, and Gives me much more memory consuption and more compatybility problems.
I hope it will help you in anyway/
regars

Posté Mon 28 Jan 08 @ 10:14 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Video is much better in Vista.

Make sure you set Vista to use more memory for applications rather than background services.

All the software I own runs as well on Vista as it did on XP including my printers/cell phone etc.

I should also add that in the UK I am sure Dell and others were ordered to supply XP at no additional costs if requested.

Posté Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 6:59 am
XP is the best version to use because it is very stable. Vista has too many issues. I had vista and i " Upgraded to XP" since upgrading to XP. I never had an issue. I have no audio distortion, No problems with time codes etc.. say hello to my stable friend.............

Posté Sun 03 Feb 08 @ 2:08 am
Vista here

Posté Sun 03 Feb 08 @ 4:02 am
Vista is def better for video. My damn laptop with the 8600 card and XP, I am ready to smash it...

Posté Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 5:19 pm
spool32PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I've been running VDJ on a Vista desktop without issues at all. I work 5 nights a week and play videos, karaoke and mp3's. I use the Numark iCDX for an external controller.

I also found that the file search indexer in Vista is excellent once you get it configured properly (only have it index the file extensions you use like .zip, .mp3, .vob, .avi etc. and remove the others).

The other thing too, if you own Vista, you are entitled to an XP key from Microsoft, so you can legally run a dual-boot setup of both on the same machine. For the cost of one Vista license you have both and dont have to worry about a future upgrade!

Posté Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 5:59 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I don't want to sound like a moaner or a spoilsport, but...

spool32 wrote :
The other thing too, if you own Vista, you are entitled to an XP key from Microsoft, so you can legally run a dual-boot setup of both on the same machine. For the cost of one Vista license you have both and dont have to worry about a future upgrade!

I feel it necessary to point out just for reference - my understanding is that the downgrade rights only apply to Vista Business and Ultimate editions.

Also, it is illegal under the terms of the license agreement to dual boot both versions if obtained in this manner - only one can be installed at any time.

Microsoft wrote :
Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows XP Professional (including Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

There are certain exceptions and extra licenses granted for volume license users, but this won't apply to most users.

Regards,

Scott

Posté Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 9:26 am
I have a year old acer aspire 9410 with the gma950 (224 mb) integrated video card, 17inch widescreen monitor, 120gb hard drive, 2gb ram, dual core 1.6gb processor, webcam, dL dvd burner, card reader, vga & svideo outputs .. I purchased mine used for $475 from a friend about 8 months ago, it listed for about $800 new. It came with xp media center installed which wouldnt work with my Numark Total Control due to usb audio drivers I was told. After installing XP Pro & Black XP the machine would freeze/stutter with video play. I installed Vista ultimate & reduced the ram to 1.5gb & its running like a champ. It seems to me that the operating system may affect how stable the vdj program performs. Even though xP should use less cpu/resources than vista, in my experience Vista processes video better (drivers or codecs or something????). I am running TCV, Numark total control, maya 44, technique 1200's, external monitors with a video amp/splitter.. I also have a gateway MA7 or MT6705 notebook running vista with the same specs that also runs video well.. Why Is ThaT??????

Posté Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 8:09 pm
spool32PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Scott:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205101355&pgno=1&queryText=

Interesting article, they refer to it as "sidegrading". In any case, I get the Ultimate version from newegg as an OEM for a resonable cost. Long ago I learned its better to just spend a little extra money and save time later by not getting a crippled version of anything like Vista Home etc.

My original intention with Ultimate though was to use bitlocker and encrypt the entire drive so that if my computer were ever stolen, the data would be useless to them. I havent gotten around to that yet though, i've ended up working way too much.

Posté Sat 08 Mar 08 @ 11:27 am
Spool32,

Wouldn't encrypting your hardrive make it harder for VDJ to access your music and videos? I would think it would slow down access to files since they are encrypted. I am only asking since I really don't know. If it does not, then I might think about doing it also.

Killabee44

Posté Mon 10 Mar 08 @ 9:38 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)