Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet SoundSetup - Scratch Qual/Latency Option

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi @ all,

just a quick question about this option: I don`t do any scratching (just beatmatching) so this option should be set to "latency" ? Maybe to get some "better" vinyl feeling ? Or does it affect the "normal" (non scratch) sound quality too ?

TIA!

Posté Sun 17 Feb 08 @ 8:12 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
latency is an issue which needs to be balanced as best as possible between two things:

1) responsiveness of the software and control elements (timecode)
2) sound quality

when you crank the latency down (1ms) and the hardware cannot handle it, you will get pop/crackles/stutters in the sound. this is because the hardware is not able to deal with the data quick enough.

do some trial and error testing starting at the lowest latency. with each test, mix two tracks and engage several effects on both channels and push the soundcard to 'fail' by crackling. when that no longer happens, you have achieved the middle ground between sound quality and responsiveness.

there are other options as well that govern the sound quality and are also effected somewhat by latency settings, but on the most part, its the cpu and machine that enables these features. refer to the performance chapter in the manual to know exactly what these are.

Posté Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 9:52 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
ciacomix wrote :
does it affect the "normal" (non scratch) sound quality too ?

Yes

Posté Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 12:38 pm
Paz75 wrote :
latency is an issue which needs to be balanced as best as possible between two things:
1) responsiveness of the software and control elements (timecode)
2) sound quality
when you crank the latency down (1ms) and the hardware cannot handle it, you will get pop/crackles/stutters in the sound. this is because the hardware is not able to deal with the data quick enough.

You got me wrong, my question was about the "Scratch" option (which was answered by djcel). I`m fine with the latency, i can run it at the lowest setting (Rane SL1 / CoreDuo 2200MhZ)

Posté Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 4:37 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)