Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Duplicate tracks

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Many of my tracks will appear in several different folders simply because a lot of them can't be categorized in just one genre. For example I have 3 copies of "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse; one in my "Top 40" folder, one in my "Lounge" folder, and one in my "Dance (Pop)" folder. If I do a search for this song all three tracks appear in the browser. Not a big deal, I just click on one of them. BUT, if I type in an artist who I have a lot of tracks for like Jamiroquai, I get tons of results due to the many duplicates and triplicates of his songs that I've placed in various different "genre" folders. So even though I might have only 50 tracks by Jamiroquai, I'll get like 150+ search results with all the multiples. Again, not a big deal, I can always scroll through which only takes a little time but I would really like it if there was some way for VV to recognize when songs have identical file names and only display one copy. This would clean up a lot of clutter, make my search that much more efficient, not to mention it would give me a better idea of exactly how many songs I actually have. Currently VV shows that I have around 18,000 songs but my guess it's more like 15,000 with all the multiples and all. Is there a way to implement some sort of "Remove Duplicates" function in VV? I understand that a con would be if I wanted to check the filepath for a song I could only do it for the single copy that appears in the browser. I'm OK with that, I never feel the need to check which folder the song is in, and if really needed to I could always do a search within Mac OS.

Posté Mon 10 Mar 08 @ 10:04 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Why don't you just delete these "Duplicate" tracks in other folders,

that's what I do when I come across one in my folder system.

Jimmy b

Posté Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 8:11 am
BECAUSE I have songs that can't be defined by just one genre.

Posté Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 10:30 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Right OK,

I don't use the Genre to sort my folders out, because of this problem.

Jimmy b

Posté Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 10:36 am
I thought of keeping all my tracks in one big folder on my HD and then creating multiple virtual folders within VV to organize by genre but currently there is no way to create virtual sub-folders. I suppose I could use filter folders except that would mean I would have to re-tag all my tracks.

Posté Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 12:52 pm
You can enter multiple genres for any track in an ID3v2 tag editor by separating each one with a semicolon ";" character. Then when you rescan the tags in VDJ and bring up the genre list (checkbox in cofig>browser to display genres), the track will appear in each genre that applies ;)

Posté Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 2:11 pm
Hope this helps; this is how I categorise my tracks into genres:

Let's take 2008 music for an example. In my 2008 folder, I have No One by Alicia Keys. I would consider this to be R&B, but also a wind down song. So, even though I only have one copy in my 2008 folder, I create an R&B folder AND a Wind Down folder within my 2008 folder. I then highlight the Alicia Keys song, right click, and copy.

Then, I open the R&B folder, right click, and PASTE SHORTCUT. Then I do the same in my Wind Down folder.

So I end up with the song located within its correct genres, whilst only having one mp3 of it on my hard drive. You can make as many genre folders as you like, and paste shortcuts to ALL your tracks into whatever genre you see fit.

Very, very simple, but if you want to do this for your entire mp3 collection, it will take a long time. But believe me, it is worth it.

Posté Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 6:13 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)