Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Split Cue - Page: 3

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Scott,
That work-around doesn't work with the Maya44 USB. Or with a Maya44 USB and an internal soundcard of a laptop. I tried different settings/options and couldn't get it to work right. I was able to get Split Cue, but at the expense of it's volume also controlling the MASTER volume (or vice versa, I can't remember), which kind of sucks.

The whole Split Cue request is if for whatever reason you can't use an external mixer. Sometimes space or power is an issue. Or you just don't have an external mixer handy. Again my rationale is sometimes you don't have the luxury of monitors. Split Cue availble in our software would prove to be invaluable.

Posté Wed 12 Jan 11 @ 3:24 am
I think just the same thing as you chris, because, at the disco im working the sound reverberation its a complete caos, the reflex of the mids and high frecuencies on the walls is just anoying, and when you try to mix is almost imposible unless you are using the split cue on the analog denon mixer i have.. but, the interesting part now is that i just bougth a new VMS4 and the controller does not have the split cue function as a part of their built in analog mixer so... a split cue function available from the software would be of great help... sincerely i dont like to watch the grids on the vdj screen when im working, i love to mix with my ears.

Best regards...

P.D.

SBDJ... come on ! you are a master on the plugin stuff, at least help us to make the sugestion to the developers, perhaps coming from you they start to think about it.

Posté Wed 12 Jan 11 @ 11:23 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
djchris73 wrote :
Scott,
That work-around doesn't work with the Maya44 USB. Or with a Maya44 USB and an internal soundcard of a laptop. I tried different settings/options and couldn't get it to work right. I was able to get Split Cue, but at the expense of it's volume also controlling the MASTER volume (or vice versa, I can't remember), which kind of sucks.

How about one channel 'Headphones' and one channel 'Booth'? Like I say, I know it's not ideal but it should work.

My requests carry no more weight than that of any other user :)

Posté Wed 12 Jan 11 @ 1:55 pm
Scott,
That might work. That could technically be considered Split Cue. I'll mess with it tonight.

djfrochocr,
I'm with you, I hate using the CBG. CBG can be wrong. I want to use my ears.

Until we get this implemented in VDJ, why not try some sound treatment? Auralex has different products for different frequency ranges. Sounds like you already know what the problem frequency ranges are already. Saludos a todos ustedes en Ticolandia...

Chris

Posté Thu 13 Jan 11 @ 12:39 am
Well Chris... there is something you need to know about the company in working... these RIU guys... they dont care about acoustics... all they care is make money... i still don't understand why they don't fix the disco just like you said... what they told me last time was... "If you can't work with that we need to hire another dj perhaps" ... so... there no much to say then ehh... lol !

anyway... an split cue function on the software should be great and would be a great advancement in this awesome dj software...

P.D.

RIU is the comercial name of the resorts im working :D

Posté Thu 13 Jan 11 @ 4:06 am
djfrochocr,
That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear that. Doesn't sound like a pleasant working environment.

Well, let's just hope we can get this feature implemented. I'm amazed that something important/relevant like Split Cue hasn't been implemented; meanwhile, you can now have 6 turntables and an IPhone App. WTF? LOL.

Such is life...

Posté Thu 13 Jan 11 @ 4:51 am
You can indeed do this manually in sound options advanced. I've been doing that for some time. I first discovered how to do it in Traktor. You can either do it in a way that is permanent (until you go back in there and change it in advanced options) or you can do it in a sort of practice mode if you aren't recording your set or actually sending the live sound anywhere... i.e., you use the cue blend knob and main crossfader to change between split cue and normal cueing on-the-fly and fully in stereo when both ears are getting each side of the same signal.

There is really no reason this arrangement in advanced sound options simply can't be adjusted for the headphone-out on-the-fly with a click of an on screen button (or physical button mapped to it). It wouldn't matter about the buffer, because you wouldn't be messing with the master out, just the headphone out buffer path that already feeds the cue blend adjustment. If there's a split-second interruption of the headphone feed switching over, that's fine. Just as long as there's no master/main glitch in the process, too. It'd be much nicer than either having to fudge it when practicing in private (utilizing the main crossfader, after all... a deal breaker for live and recording) or having to go in to the advanced sound options menu every single time when you should only have to click on one little thing to do it. Very basic, universal dj feature that is unfortunately MIA on most hardware controllers. Thus we need it in the software.

Edit:

Oh damn! I just realized something typing this. A very simple way to get around this current lack-of a split-cue (Torq has it by the way)...?

*Use the "permanent method" above and a mono/stereo switch... either in the software domain (secondary software mixer, plug-in, etc), a physical one in between the headphone and the computer, or if your headphone has a mono/stereo switch on them. My old Pioneer 1000s had one before they broke. My Ixos have one, too. I have a Sennheiser headphone cable with that, but unfortunately it drops one of the channels, not actually summing it.

There are just two issues with this...

One, you'll be getting only mono even when both ears get the same cue or master signal. I often used that in my early days of djing, anyway. It can make it easier to mix.

Second, the best spot for the mono summing is prior to the headphone amp: in the software domain (again) or inside the headphone amp itself (in a properly implimented one, anyway). Summing amplified signals passively causes changes in the impedance curve the jack/amp will see, which is bad. Same reason you get reduced sound quality if you have a passive volume control in-use (that is, not fully open & at max) on a headphone cable. Any summing and volume control should be before the amplification stage.

But this would be a work-around, albeit a crude one sonically if you do it physically after the amp stage, and of course it denies you a stereo headphone safety listen of the blend. Genius, if I do say so, though.

But we really need this feature as a clickable button next to the cue blend knob in VDJ. Software domain is easier, quicker, best sound all the time, and allows more options.

As a side note, after finally installing (and happily uninstalling) Torq, I think VDJ should have the left mouse button do 0.001% pitch changes when clicking above and below the slider. Right now it jumps, which you don't need since you can click and hold to move it already. And of course right click does that temporary nudge thing. Left click's current use is redundant and using the mouse to hold and move it is too crude for fine adjustments.

I could certainly be content if someone knows of a way to use the mouse wheel to do that. Anybody?

Nice forum, btw. Never bothered coming here before until VDJ one day broke on me. Kind of like plumbers and toilets, I guess. You never appreciate them until there's crap all over the floor.

Posté Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 4:21 pm
Agree +1 . So... what about the solution he's providing ? sound like a decent upgrade in the soft engine to me... ;) and nothing hard to be made by the way...

Posté Sun 10 Jul 11 @ 4:29 pm
Split Cue can be achieved through the use of Advanced Config. I already got it to work.

It's not perfect, but close enough to be useful.

The only small problem is that there is a tiny amount of bleed in each can from the different sources. In other words, you have your CUE'd source in the left can and the Master in the right; Master signal will also be slightly present in the left. The CUE'd signal will also be slightly present in the Master signal on the right.

Posté Mon 11 Jul 11 @ 7:10 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
@Chris,
Would be helpful if you could post your advance setup menu, so people can understand more easily how its done...

Thanks,

Joey....

Posté Mon 11 Jul 11 @ 7:19 pm
JoeyKJ wrote :
@Chris,
Would be helpful if you could post your advance setup menu, so people can understand more easily how its done...

Thanks,

Joey....

Joey, no problem.

The idea is just to split up the outputs you have in a Mono setup in Advanced Config.

Most common stand-alone (no controller) sound cards have two pairs of stereo outputs. A stereo pair for the Main or Master output and another for the Headphones/Booth.

Sometimes people want to mix externally (using a DJ mixer); the soundcard will allow you to assign the the two pairs of stereo outputs to Deck 1 & Deck 2, instead of Master & Headphones.

The way I was able to have Split Cue is by using the first setup: Master & Headphones. This is what it look likes in Advanced Config.

In this particular setup I'm using two independent headphone outputs of my laptop's soundcard. Basically, it's like having two separate sound-cards.

But I've been able to also have Split Cue using two different sound-cards: the built-in sound card and an external USB sound-card.

Like this:

The only issues with either setup:

* slight bleeding of the sources into the opposing the headphone cup/can.

* there is no "button" to turn this on or off. You have to go into Sound Setup, then into Advanced Config and re-assign your outputs to
your liking to turn off Split Cue.

If you've ever DJ'ed with Split Cue before, you know that it's not something you want on all the time. Especially while you are trying to loop the CUE'd up track. You don't want the Master output in the headphones at that time.

This "work-around" is OK, but not ideal.

That's why it would be cool if Split Cue could eventually be introduced to VDJ as a standard feature, with the use of a dedicated button for quick access.

Posté Tue 12 Jul 11 @ 3:52 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
As an additional workaround, use Booth instead of Master, then you can control the master level in your headphones with VDJScript.

Posté Tue 12 Jul 11 @ 11:15 am
"* there is no "button" to turn this on or off. You have to go into Sound Setup, then into Advanced Config and re-assign your outputs to
your liking to turn off Split Cue."

Like I said.

I also don't notice any bleeding. I wonder if that's your hardware.

Posté Tue 12 Jul 11 @ 1:26 pm
mcgiver73 wrote :
it has this already.. if you use the mix station skin there is a slider in the top left corner that can split your cue

Which Skin exactly? There are several under the name Mix Station.

Has anyone looked at this skin yet, to see how it's implemented?

Posté Fri 15 Jul 11 @ 5:01 am
Reticuli wrote :
I also don't notice any bleeding. I wonder if that's your hardware.

Could be. I wouldn't doubt it.

Posté Fri 15 Jul 11 @ 7:07 am
djfrochocr wrote :
i just bougth a new VMS4 and the controller does not have the split cue function as a part of their built in analog mixer .

thanx for that info! I've looked at the VMS4 many times but never thought to look for that feature!

I'm Gonna have to check the Denon MC6000 and see if its also lacking that feature!

Posté Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 3:05 pm
Does not work with the VMS4, i tried that set up about 4 months ago... we need that option in the software... the VDJ team should appear with a solution for this... :(

Posté Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 7:25 pm
MC6000 has split cue. Used it last night ;-)

Roy

Posté Thu 21 Jul 11 @ 4:52 pm
GadgetMan wrote :
MC6000 has split cue. Used it last night ;-)

Roy

That's great.

I hope it can be implemented in VDJ soon.

Or at least be told that it won't ever be, or that it's not even being considered. This way, I won't waste time and effort pushing for it.

Posté Fri 22 Jul 11 @ 12:36 am
Hercules RMX has split cue, used it for years.

Posté Sun 31 Jul 11 @ 4:17 am
70%