Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Sujet SBDJ FreeStyler - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Afternoon all,

I've created and been testing another range of plugins for you all that integrate VirtualDJ and FreeStyler DMX.

Current features:

* Passes CBG grid from active deck as Sound To Light trigger. No audio needed by FS.
* Can trigger commands within FreeStyler from VDJScript, allowing you to effectively map FreeStyler commands to controls within VDJ.
* Monitors Cue points with a specific naming convention to trigger commands within FreeStyler, allowing you to set cue points to automatically trigger lighting changes. This means you can program per-track lighting sequences that run automatically!
* Network and local support

There are two plugins available, SBDJ FreeStyler CBG and SBDJ FreeStyler Cue.

I have seperated these two into seperate plugins because the I didn't want the Cue plugin to bog down the CBG thread and I was having issues communicating with VDJ from multiple simultaneous threads. This may be something I can resolve at a later date, or I may just keep them seperate. Not sure yet.

Anyway, to use the Cue plugin you *must* have the CBG plugin (and at least v1.3 of that). FreeStylers network server is single client, so the CBG plugin talks to FS and the Cue plugin talks to the CBG plugin.

Sending commands is accomplished using a couple of VDJScript variables and setting them as per the information provided by FreeStyler in it's "Sendmessage and TCPIP.pdf" document. An example:

This will toggle blackout:

set '$fsvalue' 1 & set '$fscommand' 2

The network equivalent should be:

set '$fsvalue' 255 & set '$fscommand' 2

To use the cue point functionality, just drop a cue point (in the range you've specified obviously) and rename it as:

FS:command,value

The command format follows the above syntax for commands. For example:

FS:2,1
will execute a blackout, or over network
FS:2,255

Enjoy.

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15834/freestyler.html

Old versions:

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/13067/SBDJ_FreeStyler_S2L.html
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/14209/SBDJ_FreeStyler_Cue.html

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 8:14 am
Might have to go and buy some lights now, lol! Do you ever sleep, lol! Again nice work and im sure this is going to be another killer plugin!!

Huey

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 9:17 am
Myself I still use my hardware controller, so my view is kinda skewed.. IE: I have used Freestyler at home, but when working I still use my little DMX44 controller cause my lightshow is still the same from when I first programed..

so in 'that case' I find myself mainly using just three "program banks" (kinda like a "cue" in FS)
I use another three "cues" for misc stuff.. like setting off just the scanners, or turning on the colorchangers on the mirrorball, etc etc

of course, my controller only had 8 "cue" banks so I was always limited.. IE: I never bothered using any of the "cues" for running 'bumps' IE:special short term lighting sequences..

Myself:
If I just used the the VDJ Cues as "bumps" for special lighting sequences, then I think 10 would be enough..
but if I also used the VDJ cues to set the main lighting "FS cues" (IE the lighting sequence that would play for the whole song), then I would say a minimum of 20 cues..

On a side note...
would it also make sense to have your plug-in check the "VDJ comments" section? for cues?
IE: the plug-in scannes for cues (which takes up processor power), but also peroidically checks the "comments" of the playing song? (which shouldnt take up as much processor power as it only needs to be checked once a minute?? as its usually pretty 'static'...)

my reasoning is the "comments" of VDJ would set the major "FS Cues" and the VDJ Cues could be used for 'specialty cues' or 'bumps'?

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 10:33 am
This sounds like a great plugin, can't wait for it.

I don't do dmx (yet), all my lights are linked and just run on sound to light, but I guess here's what I'd want, off the top of my head...

blackout

strobe

sound to light

slow moving

all white

... and a few other colour combinations I guess.

So 10 would be enough for me. :)

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 1:20 pm
I think you're misunderstanding me. I can offer 'x' number of places in each individual track in your collection where you can tell FS to do something - thats the number I'm after.

Take good old insomnia, you might say run scene 1, then blackout at the first breakdown, strobe, scene 2, blackout, strobe, scene 3. That would be 7 commands in that track.

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 1:29 pm
Insomnia is a good example and probably one of the more complex tracks. For me I can't see myself using more than 10, but then I've never had per track lighting control. With modern processors maybe 20 would be sustainable.

Cheers,

Roy

PS. really looking forward to this...

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 1:40 pm
Oh yeah, sorry, I had it back to front, I was thinking we had a set number of commands that could be used an unlimited number of times.

That's a tricky one, I'm not sure if I'm honest! I'll leave it to people who know what they're talking about a bit more.

That example you gave sounds pretty feasible, so ten would be workable, but 20 would give a bit more flexibility for people who want to get a bit more technical (but only if it's not a noticable deteriation on performance, I'm thinking about getting a pair of numark v7's so I need all the spare processor power I can get!)

Cheers :)

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 1:54 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
SBDJ wrote :
*Passes CBG grid from active deck as Sound To Light trigger. No audio needed by FS.

For me this is more than enough. I dont use special shows for special songs. So, be my guest, add anything you like !

PS. Is it possible to add different DMX software support other than Freestyler ? I am curently using LightFactory (ENTTEC). It has midi trigger as long as linein trigger, but the CBG input would be just awesome.

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 2:53 pm
If I understand this correctly, you would program a certain number of scenes into a chase within freestyler. Then you trigger those chases using 'cue' points on the track? Hard to say how many without seeing what sort of drain on system resources it causes. SBDJ, you are probably the only one who would know that at the moment.

I can imagine situations where you might use many more than twenty. Theoretically, you could program a whole theatre or exhibition show using the cue points on the music within vdj. I know thats not the initial goal, but just thinking of the future.

I choose whatever number allows me to get my hands on it the quickest - haha ;)

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 3:16 pm
Let me do some load testing and see what I can sort. I've made some changes which might ease things a bit. I was doing my testing with 99 per track as an example.

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 6:07 pm
With some optimising I've got it so that checking 99 cue points doesn't have a massive impact. Since YMMV I've made it configurable :)

Posté Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 9:15 pm
I'd be happy with 10 per track as if your djing between 2-4 decks you could only set the lights for either the beginning or the end of a track so the cues don't interfere with each other, but as many as possible to select different scenes to have the maximum amount of variety, can't wait to try this pluggin, I'm ordering some more lights from china now! :)

Question, what would happen if you had two tracks playing at the same time that trigger together, would one take precedence or would the one that might be a fraction later trigger instead?

I'd also really like to have a couple of override cues if possible to strobe and blackout etc...

Cheers

Posté Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 3:03 am
CBG is taken from the VDJs 'activedeck' so there is only ever one beatsource and the same for cues.

I did think about using cues from all playing tracks but then realised that would be a nightmare if you were PFLing...

Override cues can be done via VDJScript (so MIDI mappable).

Posté Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 4:33 am
the only thing i see with it is if you have active deck for the signal then when your using one deck and scratching wouldn't the bpm change as you scratch?

Posté Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 12:58 pm
... could follow the masterdeck.

Posté Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 1:17 pm
actually following the active deck sounds like a better idea, if that is the case I think it would be better to have 18 cues per track as there's usually six sections.. into, break down, first bit,main break down, peak, mix out, it would be nice to be able to assign 3 cues to each section.

Also this is something I have always wated to try... when scratching the ahhhhh sound to set cue points for blinders at different intensities so the lights respond to the sound of the scratching, I guess I'm asking if the cues will work when a record is spinning backwards.

Posté Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 4:25 pm
he was talking about cues withing a light program. like in freestyler you have up to i think 54 steps and countless cues for dif light shows. if you follow the ACTIVE deck thats usually the deck your previewing in your head phones to mix in. as you change the songs, back spin, cue it up it will mess up the timing on your lights. you must not have ever used freestyler or you would understand this. freestylers sound to light feature kind of sucks IMO its never on unless they fixed it with an update since i last ran it.

Posté Fri 12 Nov 10 @ 6:33 am
Actually 'activedeck' isn't usually the one you are PFLing.

Posté Sat 13 Nov 10 @ 4:19 am
Yeah, I've never been able to get s2l to work properly, I think it because of my VV soundcard... but I can't get an audio input to register in it, but i havn't really used freestyler, I'm too use to ADJ My DMX

Posté Mon 15 Nov 10 @ 3:11 am
I use the Enttec PRo USB Interface and each time i use the Sound to Light to trigger my DMX lights a get a large latency, big enough to make my lights moving to silence and not to beat ..lol
How is the ADJ interface dealing with latency?

Posté Mon 15 Nov 10 @ 12:30 pm
7%