Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Gapless playback - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Its worth remembering that the gapless problem only occurs when the mix is accross tracks that join on a CD. If they were put on the CD as a single track mix/megamix there's no problem.

It is only where the CD mix is divided into tracks which can also be accessed directly from the track list numbers but when played through (like a vinyl record) they are seamless.

This may explain why some people have mixes that are fine - its when they need to join the track back to back or through relay play you get a small gap.

Posté Wed 19 Jan 11 @ 5:40 am
Hi Guys

I have been looking and playing with this again - still no progress.

Some people seem to have no problems with it while other cannot sort it and none of us are complete newbies.

Just a thought but maybe it only effects PCs and not MACs. I use a PC running XP Pro SP3 so if you have it working is it on PC or MAC, or if you can't get it to work similarly which system.

And just for those of you who say stop complaining, I'm not - just asking for a tiny improvement to a great piece of software.

Cheers

Posté Sun 20 Feb 11 @ 6:41 am
MP3 is not a gapless format; LAME supports it but then the player must implement the extra logic required to understand it. This problem shouldn't exist if you rip your cds to AAC (although I've not tried to confirm).

Posté Tue 22 Feb 11 @ 3:12 pm
Hi Andrew

I read you reply which makes good sense, but I keep comming back to why does some software play them fine and gaplessly.

I'm not disputing what you say as you seem to know what you are talking about, it just dons't seem logical that some players will play gapless and some don't.

I will try ripping in ACC as you suggest and see how it works

Cheers

Posté Tue 22 Feb 11 @ 3:56 pm
It's just the way the decoders have been implemented, i.e. they understand the non-standard implementation to handle gapless mp3s. Think of it like meta-tags, where Virtual DJ cannot read FLAC tags even though it can play the files, yet many players can do both. Gapless mp3s contain extra information detailing how much silence there is before and after the track starts (unfortunately it's a limitation of mp3 that this silence exists at all) but not all players understand or obey that information.

Posté Wed 23 Feb 11 @ 7:27 am
So from a technical perspective VDJ could be improved to overcome (or at least significantly reduce) this problem by the writters modifying the code.

This would be a significant improvement - if it can be done it would be quite a bonus.

Posté Wed 23 Feb 11 @ 12:45 pm
Up... 2 new wonderful versions of VDJ (7.03 & 7.04) and always the same problem; VDJ still can't play gaplessly (even with gapless format)

Thanks to the team for all your work on our top DJ application, but please, if you can solve this problem, i really hope to have it in a really near new version.

Thanks for reading and good mixes...

Posté Sun 05 Jun 11 @ 6:30 am
acDCukHome userMember since 2007
Here is a workaround which works for me...

1) Select Automix Type > Fade (remove nothing)
2) Select Automix Length > 1s
3) Exit the Virtual DJ application (very important)
4) Edit the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ\AutomixLength and change the Decimal value from 44100 to 5000
5) Relaunch Virtual DJ, check that the Automix Length has NO VALUE selected (this means the hidden setting from the registry is enabled)
6) Test your pre-mixed CD rips and listen for the gap inbetween.

You may wish to experiment with the Decimal value chosen slightly to find a perfect place for you, but 5000 works well for me and my friend.

Basically, this works because the setting which is required to accomplish gapless playback is somewhere between 0s (0 samples) and 1s (44100 samples).

Ideally, Atomix could make a setting in the dropdown box inbetween 0s and 1s which is the equivalent of 5000 samples.

The downside to this workaround is that if you change the Automix Length within the application you need to exit the application completely to change the registry so that the tweak takes effect again, whereas if Atomix made it an option, it could be done on-the-fly within the application itself.

Posté Wed 31 Aug 11 @ 4:32 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
PRESTIGE SONORISATION wrote :
Up... 2 new wonderful versions of VDJ (7.03 & 7.04) and always the same problem; VDJ still can't play gaplessly (even with gapless format)

Thanks to the team for all your work on our top DJ application, but please, if you can solve this problem, i really hope to have it in a really near new version.

Thanks for reading and good mixes...

I think I fianlly understand what you mean, though there is no way your description was specific enough to describe this. I am not trying to poke fun here. I just so happended to use VDJ to record a live set that I mixed and I used the track cut to seperate the tracks for later burning to a CD. So my wife could skip forward to her favorite songs.

So, I personally mixed this set (not auto mix) and recorded it. At the start of each next track (at the end of my fade), I did the track cut so that when burned to a CD they would all be seperate tracks but should have been gaplessly recorded as I mixed it.

After my mixed set, I burned all my mixed tracks (that should have had no gaps) to a CD. When I play that CD back in my car or anywhere, there is a very brief skips or blip between tracks.

This also happens if I play back just the unburned MP3 files created directly by VDJ in any PC program like Itunes, WMP or VDJ if it is in automix mode (set for "None - back to back" play). It has the same quick skip in the middle of my mixes, exactly where I hit the track cut during the live set. VDJ also does not remove this quick skip if it is set to "Remove Silence" in automix. It is deffinately recorded into the start of each individual track.

What I have found is that if you lower your recording bit rate for 320 to 192, the very brief gap is slightly smaller, but is still there.

Any help from the support team would be great as it appears he is right. Hopefully my description will help you reproduce it.

Posté Tue 06 Sep 11 @ 8:44 pm
@Dhoude - I can't say I have tried recording my own mix and cutting it up etc but I do know from experience when copying pre-mixed CDs that to copy them successfully you needed to copy them as a disc image and not make them into individual tracks and put them back together when you re-burn the disc.

A lot of CD burners (or the burning software) turn the laser off between tracks which can cause a gap etc - to overcome this you need to have the burning software set to 'remove gaps' between tracks and also 'durn disc at once' which means it burns the whole disc as one continuous track and not individual ones. Even with this some software will not make a continuous gapless music track.

Hope this helps.

Posté Wed 07 Sep 11 @ 1:34 pm
DHoude wrote :

This also happens if I play back just the unburned MP3 files created directly by VDJ in any PC program like Itunes, WMP or VDJ if it is in automix mode (set for "None - back to back" play). It has the same quick skip in the middle of my mixes, exactly where I hit the track cut during the live set. VDJ also does not remove this quick skip if it is set to "Remove Silence" in automix. It is deffinately recorded into the start of each individual track.

The problem is not with ripping my discs. I ripped these tracks a long time ago and they are perfect. Nor am I ripping sombody elses mix. I took tracks that I wanted to use as a demo and mixed the set the way any DJ would with my ears, style and skill.

The problem is part of the recorded track. If you listened to my set live, there was no skip, blip or silence durin the mix. VDJ has a record cut feature so that while you are recording you can hit record cut and it will seperate the tracks of your mix. As if you hit Record Stop, then Record Start (immediately) and then automatically, sequentially names the tracks 1, 2, 3, 4.... so that you know what order they were played in. Unfortunately this VDJ recoding feature does not cleanly seperate the tracks so that they would play back seemlessly.

This is with no burning of tracks either and not even closing VDJ. If I immediately load all those freashly recorded tracks that are only on my hard drive at this point, when played back in Automix they will have a very short skip at the start of each next track. So a mix that was smooth with no skips, now has a skip between the songs where the VDJ record cut function was hit and the next track is started.

Thanks for trying, but we are talking about different problems here.

Posté Wed 07 Sep 11 @ 8:37 pm
acDCukHome userMember since 2007
DHoude, dude... did you even read my workaround post a few posts above?

Posté Thu 06 Oct 11 @ 5:41 pm
I did, thank you for tring to help. With all due respect, if I wanted VDJ to play back the CD mix that I just made with VDJ, your work around would be really helpful.

Unfortunately, that is not what I am trying to do. I would like to be able to fix why VDJ puts gaps between my recorded sets when I am mixing. This is the route of the main problem and what I believe the OP was talking about. Although he never responded back.

For instance:

I mixed Song 1 into Song 2, etc. I then placed a track cut (a VDJ option) in the recording, when I was faded all the way into track 2. What this does is finalize the first recording and imediately start the second recording. So I end up with 1 MP3 file for every song I mixed. This way when I burn all the recorded tracks to a CD and play them back in my car the CD would play gaplessly as I had mixed it, but also allow me to skip ahead with normal track skip on my CD player.

What I have found is, the only way to get a gapless recording of my DJ set, that I can burn to a disc, is to make the mix 1 big large file.

You are skipping ahead to how I can make automix fix this. I am saying, I made this mix and can repeat it so I have no need for VDJ to do it for me. But when I use any CD player with my burned disc, OR VDJ with either the burned disc or un burned MP3 files (or any other software for that matter) my mix that I recorded with VDJ, does not playback gaplessly.

I just want to be able to record a set, so I can have a demo CD for employment. When it plays back with "skips", it is not very proffesional.

Posté Thu 06 Oct 11 @ 6:21 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)