Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Windows 8 - Page: 4

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

GadgetMan wrote :
@maki, I take it you used the download/upgrade option. How was it? How did it work?

My concern is that it is a one shot upgrade... what if you want to upgrade the hard drive or you need to re-build after a system crash?

Do you get the chance to burn a dvd? Did it upgrade the recovery partition?

Cheers,

Roy

oy sorry for not answering you before..no my bad i ordered the one that came on a cd i upgrade it from wind 7 (with no service packs ever installed) and all of my data is still here so i did a upgrade and they ask you do you want a clean version or a upgrade i wanted a clean but didn't know will it delete my D: partition where my music is so i choose a upgrade. any way its not a one shot upgrade you can always revert back and all of your files will stay there in case of a system crash (which i highly doubt will ever happen) depending on what kind of a crash it is if its just windows restarting should do the trick and you are up and running :) to burn a dvd yes you can do it

@Maki2001, I have moderated your post, please do not discuss illegal software on the forum.

Thank you

Keith

Posté Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 5:18 am
GadgetMan wrote :
Thanks Timmy,

Just the info I needed...

Roy

No problem;^]

Posté Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 8:08 am
DJRAVEMPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Timmyg1978 wrote :
DJRAVEM wrote :

I really don't know why anyone would upgrade their "Gigging" machine to Windows 8. I like new stuff too, but I just can't justify unless I had a touch screen or a tablet.

There's more new features "under the hood" so to speak, my gigging computers CPU handling is much more efficient and handles playing videos with MUCH more ease under win 8, even though my graphics card is discreet. BUt I also knew upgrading that I have until the 15th before my next gig, which would have given me plenty of time to go back if I needed to. Weird thing is, my internet computer has a few problems (prolly cuz the graphics chipset is older) whereas my gigging computer so far has zero problems.

Got both my upgrades with the 14.99 upgrade offer, used the option to burn the setup to dvd from iso just to be safe, so I can re install from win 7 or 8 if I need;^]

Ok, that is good to hear! Usually, with a new version of Windows is the desire to upgrade hardware because it is sucking more resources. But if it is actually running more efficiently than Windows 7, then maybe I will try the RC of 8 on my 6 year old Dell Precision with VDJ and some video and see what happens. :)

Posté Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 12:41 pm
DJRAVEMPRO InfinityMember since 2007
discobrian24 wrote :
Mine is a touchscreen on my gig machine.

What are you using for a touch screen?

Posté Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 12:43 pm
You may want to make sure your graphics card is supported first, my gigging laptop is only a few months old, my older laptop is maybe 3 years and the graphics card (HD Radeon 4200 + HD Radeon 5000) has some conflicting issues that make even youtube play choppy. I have a workaround for watching online videos but it only works for a short period of time. I hope AMD will offer drivers soon to fix that issue because I love windows 8 so far;^]

Posté Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 12:49 pm
Just installed Windows 8 on my gig machine...

However I followed the instructions here and created a Virtual Hard Drive (VHD).

Nice thing is the process respected my existing dual boot (have 2 1Tb HDDs in this lappy) so now I get a third option ;-)

Will be using this VHD to test Virtual DJ and for some Windows 8 development.

Also, please note, in the past VHD's were used for virtualising machines within a machine (ie running XP after booting Win7). This is not a virtualised machine. The new features of the disk management capabilities of Win7, 8 and Server 2008 R2 allow you to treat VHD's and actual drives - without having to resort to partitioning your drives.

If this works - and works well - I will be rebuilding this machine and using VHD's instead of losing gigs of wasted space in unnecessary partitions.

Cheers,

Roy

Posté Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 2:23 pm
Just a standard 17" touchscreen on my homemade rig. Built computer into a mixer case and the screen on the hinged part. Run an Evolution X Session and a DMC2.

Posté Wed 31 Oct 12 @ 3:57 pm
Just had my very own Halloween nightmare updating to Windows 8.

For various reasons it did NOT go smoothly and took around 9 hours through the night til I got to the point of running VDJ with a couple of plugins. :-( Finally got to bed at 6am this morning and have just got up (11am). Now gonna get back to it and start installing other bits of software.

Felt reasonably confident to update my gig laptop because its a Bootcamped Macbook Pro and I have the Mac side setup for gigging if needed. As I mentioned earlier I felt my partition for Windows 7 was too small at 32gigs. First thing I did was to copy all folders and programs except the Windows folder to my external hard drive. Then I downloaded and burned the 32bit version to DVD. When I attempted to upgrade first problem was it wanted 16gigs free, I only had 2.5gigs...... gulp!!! So, set about deleting all the software I had backed up. Tried everything without disturbing Windows 7, I managed to get to 13.8 gigs, still not enough gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ended up trashing the windows partition and started afresh allocating it a bigger size (50gigs). First attempt W8 claimed that the new partition was not formatted to NTFS. Normally the Apple Bootcamp software takes care of that. Went back on the Apple side and checked and it said it was formatted. So, attempt 2 it went ahead and installed.

Next I installed Apples Bootcamp utilities (for mouse pad, keyboard, etc.). Then I after installing VDJ started with various drivers. Had a problem with the screen display. Couldn't get the extended display to work in VDJ and I nearly threw the towel in to go back to Windows 7. Persevered and eventually got it up and running, why have the video "fade to black" enabled as a default??? Had me going nuts at first as I work with video 100% of the time. Once I pushed the faders up the video display worked.

Got the Showlogo installed and working then SBDJ's Scrolling Text v2.

Then time for bed. Right, gotta go, got lots to do ;-)

P.S Oh, nearly forgot, the software I backed up on the external turned out to be just the folders gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Posté Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 6:45 am
..............and the nightmare continues.

Booting into W8 it asked for the Product Key to Activate. Wouldn't accept it, tried several times but no. I finally tried from the control panel and it refused and said this was an upgrade license and not able to use it on a clean install, gggggrrrrrrrrr.

When downloading it offered to burn to DVD to install on a separate partition, so why?

Seems like I may have to re-install W7 and upgrade from that, ggggggrrrrrrr......... unless somebody knows better.

Posté Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 7:18 am
Les,

First thing.. You can't backup software by copying the folders. Due to every application needing registry settings and possibly placing files in multiple places, it just can't be done...

Second... Use the 'Easy File Transfer' utility in windows to backup your profile and user folder.

Thirdly... PartitionMagic would have allowed you to increase your system partition without having to trash and delete things and would have saved you a whole heap of time...

Finally... For testing, I would have used the VHD option as I have done. You can create a virtual hard drive and use it as a partition that you can boot from without affecting your critical (and working) existing OS and working programs.

The only other option I have used in the passed is to buy a new hard drive and do a clean install. If things go pair shaped you can always reinsert your old drive - even minutes before a gig!!!

I've done this and actually keep the old hard drive as a backup in case of HDD failure, so it's not wasted.

This advice is probably too late to help you Les - although you can use a VHD to install Windows 7 back without taking off Windows 8!!!!!

Cheers,

Roy

Posté Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 7:46 am
Thanks for the reply Roy.

I wasn't backing up programs, but, folders and sub-folders of data. Just been checking there are only certain folders with missing contents so all is not lost.

I have PartitionMagic, but, I'm working on an Apple MacBook Pro. PartitionMagic is a PC program so a non-starter.

As mentioned, I have VirtualDJ on the Mac side as well as the PC side. I have an external backup drive setup for use with both PC & Mac (formatted FAT32). So, I was happy to dive in because I could switch to the Mac version for gigging.

I've just solved the problem of activation on a clean install. Meant trolling around in the registry, but, it's done now. :-)

Windows 8 Pro is all setup for gigging with everything working. Just need to get a few more plugins. Still have other software to install yet, but, it's nice getting rid of all the crap and having a clean system.

Incidently, I got the Pro version and I believe I can get the Media Centre addon for free.

Cheers
Les

Posté Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 9:04 am
DJSoulman wrote :
Incidently, I got the Pro version and I believe I can get the Media Centre addon for free.

Yes, until the end of January 2013. You just need to enter an email address here to get the product key.

Posté Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 9:14 am
i ondt understand why would anyone install a mac on their PC the only reason the work good is of the software/hardware collaboration

2. why did you do all that complicated stuff you could of just bought the wind 8 as a download and burned the iso to dvd and boot refresh and you would have a running wind 8 just complicated everything :/

Posté Thu 01 Nov 12 @ 9:16 pm
maki2001 wrote :
i ondt understand why would anyone install a mac on their PC the only reason the work good is of the software/hardware collaboration

Eh? Install a Mac on a PC? It's a Mac Bootcamped with Windows.

maki2001 wrote :
. why did you do all that complicated stuff you could of just bought the wind 8 as a download and burned the iso to dvd and boot refresh and you would have a running wind 8 just complicated everything :/

Yes, I bought the Windows 8 download........
and burned the ISO to DVD.............
and boot refresh.........

hang on a minute....... the Windows Partition is not big enough!!!..........
can't install Windows 8.........,
there's not enough room.........

So, then what would you do next............???????

Posté Fri 02 Nov 12 @ 12:14 am
I upgraded my Fujitsu Lifebook from W7 to W8 Pro re installed the latest VDJ Pro and have been trying it, I clicked top right corner option to reduce window size (not the option to move to task bar) but it reduced to taskbar and is now stuck there, I can not open VDJ I shut down and tried to reopen VDJ but it goes straight onto my taskbar as a small icon and that's it.......................erm HELP ?

Posté Fri 02 Nov 12 @ 3:46 am
Not sure but can you ctrl-alt-del and maximize from there?

Keith

Posté Fri 02 Nov 12 @ 4:05 am
DJSoulman wrote :
maki2001 wrote :

Eh? Install a Mac on a PC? It's a Mac Bootcamped with Windows.

maki2001 wrote :
. why did you do all that complicated stuff you could of just bought the wind 8 as a download and burned the iso to dvd and boot refresh and you would have a running wind 8 just complicated everything :/

Yes, I bought the Windows 8 download........
and burned the ISO to DVD.............
and boot refresh.........

hang on a minute....... the Windows Partition is not big enough!!!..........
can't install Windows 8.........,
there's not enough room.........

So, then what would you do next............???????

ouuuu its not big enough :D well my dir sir than i apologize :D deeply :D

Posté Fri 02 Nov 12 @ 4:06 am
That's OK.

It was a nightmare but it's all done now and I made the partition much bigger giving much more room to work.

Was testing everything yesterday. Got everything in place for DJing tonight. Denon DN-MC6000 working nicely. Program options setup, samples in place, basic clip bank setup (more to add), plugins loaded (still some more to add).

Just got my Top 40 Chart/playlist to do and add my new Promo Only Videos downloaded last night, then ready to go.

Still got other software to install that's not important for gigging tonight.

So far loving Windows 8. :-)

P.S. For those using Windows 8 try this;- take your mouse pointer to the bottom left corner, instead of Left Mouse Click for Desktop try Right Mouse Click and a menu list pops up just like Windows 7. ;-)

Posté Fri 02 Nov 12 @ 4:47 am
Just finished a 5 1/2 hour gig with VDJ on Windows 8 :-)

My only problem was......... no video!!! Oooops

I had tested at home with an external screen directly plugged in with a VGA adapter. It all worked fine.

When I got to the gig and setup, video output is through the VGA adapter to a PCtoTV Convertor Box. This I hadn't tested at home assuming that the external screen working meant everything is OK.........WRONG!!!

I hold my hands up, it was my mistake.

The screen resolution changed to so large I could only see 1/4 of the screen, totally unusable! I tried to get the extended desktop sorted, but, was not successful and with a busy dance floor right from the start I didn't have time to fiddle about. I just had to disconnect the video output and continue with sound only.

Had a great night and after finishing I messed about for 10 minutes and got it sorted. Not too difficult when not under pressure. :-)

Other than the video hiccup, VDJ and Windows 8 worked fine.

Posté Sat 03 Nov 12 @ 12:56 am
kradcliffe wrote :
A pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.

If it wasn't for the fact that the VDJ Windows version is far better than the Mac offering I wouldn't use Windows at all. I'm flipping sick of every time I use my gig laptop getting the same old familiar updates, install, reboot, wait 10 minutes crap.

XP is fine on a minimal install or a netbook but that's about it. :)

all you need to do is tweak windows my friend, i shut off everything not needed and then it never sees the internet again :-)
as a result i have a rock solid operating system thats the same every time i turn it on , 2 years running no issues.

Posté Sat 03 Nov 12 @ 2:16 pm
65%