Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Windows 8 - Page: 5

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

I wouldn't pay for windows 8, if it comes with a computer fair enough.

I don't like the idea of it.

Posté Sat 03 Nov 12 @ 3:04 pm
djsalviPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Since W8 has been available for beta testing for some time now. My question is: does Virtual DJ recommend it?

Posté Sun 04 Nov 12 @ 5:51 am
Had an excellent night last night with everything working as it should.

For those doing video, the screen output on the external screens at my gig were considerable better quality than W7. Much clearer and crisper and that is through composite video!!!

.....and W8 is faster. I'm very happy with it and felt it was definitely worth the upgrade. :-)

Posté Sun 04 Nov 12 @ 9:15 am
Fantastic, 3rd night VJing with W8 & VDJ was excellent.

Fridays & Saturdays I play commercial chart, dance, R&B, etc., but, only post-millenium (2000). I'm not allowed to play 70s, 80s, 90s due another DJ in another room play retro sounds pre-millenium (and he's not allowed to play what I do). But, on Sundays the other room is not open, so, I play anything and everything from 60s onwards. It was noticeable last night that my videos of 70s, 80s & 90s were so much better quality output. There must have been a change in W8 on the graphics drivers or engine, well worth the upgrade, especially if you play video.

And of course W8 is visibly faster, I'm getting used to it very quickly. Many people don't like it, I find it great to work with. I've seen lots of people complaining cos there's no START button on the DESKTOP interface. I never used the START button in W7 so it doesn't bother me. Bottom left corner of the screen is where you switch between DESKTOP interface and TOUCHSCREEN interface. If you RIGHT CLICK there's a menu that pops up just like W7 with direct links to the Control Panel etc. ;-)

So far, the only thing I don't care for is navigating to the SHUT DOWN button.

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 4:28 am
Les,

Went on a Windows 8 "DevCamp" on Friday found out some interesting shortcuts for non touch PC's:

Forget moving the mouse to the bottom left - just hit the Windows key ... does the same thing!

Ctrl+/- will zoom in and out of your start screen. When zoomed out, if you right click you can rename your start group.

You can also re-order the groups when zoomed out by click and drag...

Simply start typing on the start screen to search for anything - local apps, files, etc or the Internet!

To create new groups, when you drag icons around your start screen, wait for a grey bar to appear between existing groups to create a new one.

Windows + . will switch apps from full screen to snapped left/right and back to full screen

To close an app (not a desktop application) click and drag from the top to the bottom of the screen.

To shut down you have several options:

Windows + L to lock the screen, then hit Enter and you then have the power icon bottom right and can shut down

You can go in to the control panel (search "control" from the start screen), Search "Power" in the control panel (top right) and choose "Change what the power buttons do" - By default it is set to sleep, but you can change to Hibernate or Shut down.

Or if you really want to be lazy, follow the instructions here to add a power icon to your start screen http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/06/25/how-to-add-a-shut-down-button-to-windows-8/

Cheers,

Roy

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 5:36 am
a quicker way to shutdown, just push your power button and let it shut down :)

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 8:13 am
Thanks Roy, but......

.....where's the Windows Key on a Mac lol???

CTRL -/+ zooms in and out........ no right click though

CMD -/+ is the magnifier

CMD by itself switches between START SCREEN and DESKTOP displays

CMD L to Lock the screen

.............................and so on, and so forth.

There's more to discover, but, it's obviously different on a Bootcamped MacBook Pro

Cheers
Les

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 12:34 pm
The Magic.DJ wrote :
a quicker way to shutdown, just push your power button and let it shut down :)

No it doesn't........ on my MacBook Pro it puts it to SLEEP

.....but that can be changed in the settings. ;-)

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 12:36 pm
DJSoulman wrote :

CMD -/+ is the magnifier

CMD L to Lock the screen

Looks like you answered your own question....

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 2:01 pm
groovindj wrote :
DJSoulman wrote :

CMD -/+ is the magnifier

CMD L to Lock the screen

Looks like you answered your own question....

Not quite;
CMD by itself doesn't bring up the W7 style menu in the bottom left corner (see above)
CMD + doesn't switch apps as it is the magnifier (see above)

There's plenty more to explore yet, but, I definitely still don't have a "Windows Key" lol

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 2:27 pm
DJSoulman wrote :
Not quite;
CMD by itself doesn't bring up the W7 style menu in the bottom left corner (see above)

No it won't. The Windows key (or in your case CMD) opens the new Metro start screen - full size.

The mini one comes up when you mouse over the corner.

DJSoulman wrote :

CMD + doesn't switch apps as it is the magnifier (see above)

Try CMD + . which is what Roy wrote.

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 4:10 pm
groovindj wrote :

No it won't. The Windows key (or in your case CMD) opens the new Metro start screen - full size.

The mini one comes up when you mouse over the corner.

Try CMD + . which is what Roy wrote.

Ha ha ha, we're getting a bit pedantic here;

The CMD key as stated above SWITCHES between the METRO SCREEN and the START SCREEN

I admit I missed the full stop in Roys post, yes it does as you say.

P.S. I still don't have a Windows Key lol

Posté Mon 05 Nov 12 @ 5:26 pm
Just to throw everything up in the air...
Im looking to bootcamp my mac and i was wondering which to get? I have read most of the treads and it seems from going from w7 to w8 its not too great... But coming from a fresh install.
Which too get...

Cheers guys

Ter

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 7:37 am
Are you asking which Mac to get, or which Windows (7 vs 8)?

If it's Windows I would say get 8.

No point getting 7 now that 8 is out, because 7 will become the dying/dead OS.

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 7:54 am
groovindj wrote :
because 7 will become the dying/dead OS.

In how long?

XP is being supported until April 2014 which is a 13 year life cycle. No need to worry about Win 7 being out of favour just yet!

Keith

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 7:59 am
Thanka guys but still hasnt really sorted my problem.. I have a brand new mac straight out of the box.
And i just preferr to use windows and vj just wondering which will be better thats all guys from a fresh start..
I have w7 on my old gig laptop.. Just wondering for my new one

Thanks guys

Ter

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 8:35 am
Depends what you're comfortable with. win 8 has a drastically different interface.

Also check if Bootcamp supports Windows 8.

There's also the issue with driver compatibility for any sound cards / controllers you are using.

Personal experience always tells me to wait until SP1 on any new Microsoft product. :)

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 8:44 am
Cheers buddy..
W7 pro it is thats buddy.

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 8:58 am
I guess if you get W7 now, you can always pay for your W8 upgrade and keep it safe for later.

And Keith, who knows how long it'll take for W7 to die out.......but it will.

All I'm suggesting is to go for the newer OS because it'll expire after the old one.

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 9:20 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Windows 7 will be supported by MS until 14th Jan 2020.

Posté Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 9:34 am
81%