Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Skin lock built in ...

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

can we have the ability to password protect the whole skin, to stop people from tampering with controls if you need to leave your computer unattended?

i know there are some skins with this built in already, but they rely on 'clicking' in a certain part of the skin to regain control.
im wondering if you do a long click on the virtuadj logo, or a button to LOCK, then any click on the screen will popup a window prompting for a password that could be pre-set in config???

this idea would work on all skins and wouldnt need any skin reprogramming.

Posté Thu 17 Nov 11 @ 9:46 pm
You would probably be better off running a windows procedure or program that locks your computer without logging off and allows your programs to remain running. Just locking a skin would not give you much protection.

For Windows, you can look here for some suggestions:

http://kb.iu.edu/data/acdt.html

Posté Thu 17 Nov 11 @ 10:34 pm
no.
Winows lock wil deactivate full screen video out.
Lets just have a simple lock in virtual dj.
Not bothered if someone starts hacking the computer to get in. Lol

its just something to lock the skin while i nip to the loo or bar or have to step away for a minute..

I dont want any complex locking systems.

As i use a touch screen it does atract a bit of attention and people seem to think they can step up and browse my system just because they can use the jukebox on the other wall. Lol

Posté Thu 17 Nov 11 @ 10:56 pm
You don't have to use windows procedures to lock your computer. I offered that as a first step. I am thinking there must be some free simple program to do this but don't have one off hand. This would be a simple program you could just click on and off with password. It could for instance lock the keyboard and mouse or screen, until secret code is entered or similiar. There must be something out there like this.

You say some skins have locks. Does locking a skin prevent them from shutting VDJ down ?

Posté Thu 17 Nov 11 @ 11:33 pm
there might be something out there already that does this in windows.

Or i could just pull the usb cable to disbale the touchscreen input..

But i figure as this is a request page, could we not also get virtualdj to do this??

Or i could modify my own skin for my own pourpose.. Lol

Posté Thu 17 Nov 11 @ 11:39 pm
Don't know if just locking your skin is good enough... Seems locking the computer is your best bet to keep people from messing with it. I could imagine some drunk guy coming up and doing ctrl alt del or just shutting your computer down. A skin lock would not prevent this.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 11 @ 12:15 am
BTW:
Locking the "skin" won't do any good to you if you're using an external controller.
Same rule applies if you "lock" the OS. Your MIDI channels will still be transmitting/receiving data.

The only way to have a reliable lock is to implement one natively on VDJ. When "locked" it should ignore ALL input commands besides the "unlock" command. Then it should ask for a password.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 11 @ 7:22 am
if you are really bored one day you could add a variable infront of every single action on both your skin and your controller, and just have a sequence of button presses to unlock it. you could just open wordpad and write something like

var '$lock' 1 ? nothing :

then copy it infront of everything, make sure you leave a space after the semi-colin, and don't use " instead use a single apostraphy ' if you don't there will be compatability issues with skins.

then have a button to lock vdj which would just be
set '$lock' 1

for a sequence you could for instance use a combination of three buttons to unlock like this

button 1 = var '$lock' 1 ? set '$stage_1' : nothing : normal action
button 2 = var '$lock' 1 ? var '$stage_1 : set '$stage_2' : nothing : nothing : normal action
button 3 = var '$lock' 1 ? var '$stage_1 : var '$stage_2' ? set '$lock' 0 : nothing : nothing : nothing : normal action

Posté Fri 18 Nov 11 @ 7:49 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
PhantomDeejay wrote :
BTW:
Locking the "skin" won't do any good to you if you're using an external controller.
Same rule applies if you "lock" the OS. Your MIDI channels will still be transmitting/receiving data.

The only way to have a reliable lock is to implement one natively on VDJ. When "locked" it should ignore ALL input commands besides the "unlock" command. Then it should ask for a password.

This is my view on the subject. I used the windows lock at a small party while I stepped away once. Then "mid stream" in the Loo, the music stops, then scratches, then starts. I quickly finsh up and eveyone looks at me like I did it. Ingoring the total tool standing at my gear. He didn't even stop when I approched, he though I was there to watch! This has never happend since. Of course I allways have a friend guard the board now too. NS7 is too cool looking for most people to resist touching it. Also the NS7 is more complicated looking than the RMX, which is what I had back then.

It would be a great help to implement this on the VDJ software level by a "Ctrl - Alt - L" key stroke. And have a BIG lock symbol show up only on the VDJ skin screen (not the external Video one). You can add password capabilities, but most idiots.. eh heem, patrons would not figure this key stroke out.

Quick other story, I used the Windows lock before I had VDJ & the RMX. I locked the PC to go to relive myself and some guy was trying to type his request in my password widow! I got up there and he said "it is not working, it won't take my request" LMFAO! Meaning that my password window kept rejecting the request that he was typing into it!

So a Keystroke to unlock is fine. A password window only gives the tools something to do. A huge Yellow lock on the screen should send a better message. People are visual and should get that, they are not thinking of reading my skin to see what to do next.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 11 @ 11:20 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
synthet1c wrote :

button 1 = var '$lock' 1 ? set '$stage_1' : nothing : normal action
button 2 = var '$lock' 1 ? var '$stage_1 : set '$stage_2' : nothing : nothing : normal action
button 3 = var '$lock' 1 ? var '$stage_1 : var '$stage_2' ? set '$lock' 0 : nothing : nothing : nothing : normal action

This may be better for the "show killer controls" like Play, Stop, Pause, CUE and Jog wheels. The rest may just be overkill. Just an idea for those who are considering this.

Posté Fri 18 Nov 11 @ 11:26 am
actually if you do consider this it needs to change a little... forgot to reset the stages :)

button 1 = var '$lock' 1 ? set '$stage' 1 : nothing : normal action
button 2 = var '$lock' 1 ? var '$stage' 1 : set '$stage' 2 : nothing : nothing : normal action
button 3 = var '$lock' 1 ? var '$stage' 1 : var '$stage' 2 ? set '$lock' 0 & set '$stage' 0 : nothing : nothing : nothing : normal action

Posté Fri 18 Nov 11 @ 11:40 am
A default lock screen in VDJ8 would be great.

Posté Fri 25 Nov 11 @ 6:26 am
i wasnt thinking simply lock to than show a password prompt, but once locked, you have to click either on the virtualdj logo THEN input a password, or once locked just a blind key combination or similar to unlock.

Posté Fri 25 Nov 11 @ 10:57 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)