Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Who you calling microwave, button masher DJ now? - Page: 3

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Why would you not use sync. It's like saying your not real landscaper if you use a leaf blower instead of a rake. I started on cd decks without pitch control and learned to match my songs when I got decks that had pitch control. Just because I can beat match without sync doesn't mean I'm going to waste my time doing it. Why waste the time with the pitch when you can be setting up 100 other things for your mix.

I have a ton of respect for good old school turntablist, but I've seen plenty of amazing dj's with tons of other tools that are cool too. Being a dj is all about moving a crowd and that always comes down to format and style, not hardware or software. Most of the dj's that I know personally that use tts, can't pick songs to save their life. People are always wowed at first, but won't stay on the dance floor for wack tracks.

Posté Fri 17 May 13 @ 8:18 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
(In my TV commercial voice)

Hi.
Do you want to be a DJ?
Do you love the idea of being able to play music for thousands of people and making them dance all night long?
Then we have the product for you!

Sync a Song

"Sync a song" will make you the DJ you've always dreamed of being. Within minutes you will be an expert DJ doing mixes just like the pro's.
You will be playing in the largest, most exclusive clubs and earning top dollar for you DJ skills. But don't take my word for it, Just listen to what these satisfied customers are saying...

I just LOVE "Sync a song" I had no experience with music and did not know a thing about DJ'ing. I ordered "Sync a song and was DJ'ing in the hottest club in my city the same night! I LOVE this product!

"Sync a song" is the best! I just plugged it in and **!BAM!** I was a DJ. Not only was I a DJ but I was able to do shows the first night. My income went through the roof! Thank you "Sync a song"

!Now "YOU" can be a superstar DJ when you order "Sync a song" today for the low price of not $350, Not $200 but the low low price of $19.99 + shipping and handling.

BUT WAIT!!!

If you order within the next 10 minutes, we will double your order. You will get not just one, but TWO "Sync a songs"Just pay separate shipping and handling.

You get it all. Two "Sync a sons's", The ability to be a SUPERSTAR DJ with the potential to make MILLIONS.
You will gain respect and admiration, a new lease on life, a prettier girlfriend or a better looking boyfriend.
A million dollar value all for the low, low price of just $19.99.

Callll 1-800-USE-SYNC
Once again, that number is 1 - 8 0 0 - U S E - S Y N C
GET YOURS TODAY!!!
Operators are standing by

Posté Sat 18 May 13 @ 2:37 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I see your point djcity. I was worried when I started using VDJ that anyone could do it now. I'm not so concerned anymore. There's always gonna be budget djs and the sync button does makes them sound better. Everyone starts somewhere, its just easier now that the sync button takes care of the basics. I've gotten better in other aspects of being a DJ since I started using VDJ. Couldn't scratch before, didn't know how or when to use effects, and I deff have greater depth of music and can set up a vibe better then I could when I started. That being said I'm not nearly as good as I used be at beat matching the old way. If you don't use it you lose it.

Posté Sat 18 May 13 @ 3:36 pm
I used to use SYNC when I first started, but now, having bought my MTP and learned to beatmatch properly, I've taken those skills and applied them to my freinds CDJs and turntables. Don't feel so left out in the cold now.

It just makes me feel a little more involved in the mix, doing it manually, maintaining, nudging here and there, something a bit closer to how I learnt on turntables many years ago.

The only time SYNC is really useful these days is when I'm looping a single kick drum to get faster and faster.

But, for the other side of the fence, try clicking here.

Posté Sun 19 May 13 @ 1:36 am
WAKE UP CALL!

what would it be great if we can all of a sudden earn buckets full of money because of pressing a sync button ..

BUT THAT AINT REALITY!

- Anyone putting up music can call himself a DJ
- Anyone that gets people to structurally pay for him for putting up music can call himself a professional DJ
- 90% of the job is WHAT you play, 10% HOW you play it
- Matching the tempo is just the first baby step in making an interesting mix
- 80% of the customers of the professionals here are generic parties, and the crowd doesn't give shit for your mixing skills

So for all you oldschool negative sour haters out there..

The next time you are at a party where you feel YOU should have played and the DJ uses a button to skip the job of matching the tempo, look around. Are the people having a blast? Does the organisation look happy? Does it seem he's getting paid for the job? If yes to these questions.. instead of finding excuses, spend a second to wonder who the actual professional is: You getting upset over a button or the guy delivering services to satisfaction of the customer?

Posté Sun 19 May 13 @ 3:08 am
dre99gsx wrote :
I use sync profusely. I usually mix three tracks simultaneously, and shoot off samples that are beatmatched. This allows me to do other stuff and actually enjoy mixing, reading the crowd, and coming up with cool ways to transition to new songs.

Crowd never cares anyway. They just want to hear good music, even if it is simply faded in. Only DJs care about how other DJs mix. Plain and simple.

I remember back queuing turntables, well before "instant start direct drive turntables" and allowing for the extra start up time needed to avoid a long wow as the tt got up to speed ..... no one accused djs using sl1200's as cheating because they no longer needed to practise this old school skill.

Do we think a taxi driver is not a real driver because he drives an automatic.

Skills required for performance change with the technology, we all need to adapt.
Experience and a professional attitude will always win out in the end.

Posté Sun 19 May 13 @ 8:09 pm
Mikey_With wrote :
I used to use SYNC when I first started, but now, having bought my MTP and learned to beatmatch properly

That's a very funny statement!!!
It's not personal to you, but for modern (EDM or not) music, the "SYNC" button will offer a 0.001% precision when the "ear" method will offer 0.1% precision tops!!!

In my dictionary, "properly" means the "most effective" way (the way with the best result)

Yes, I started with TT's and I know how to beatmatch manually. But I don't bother anymore... Unless I have to mix songs with unsteady tempos...

Posté Sun 19 May 13 @ 10:52 pm
Is there a limit of purchasing 'sync a song'? I want to buy it as a stocking stuffer for all my friends and family members! Even my neighbor if he stops throwing his trash into my yard...

Posté Mon 20 May 13 @ 12:00 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Oh enough with the bloomin' sync argument again! The only people who give a toss one way or the other are (a small number of) other DJs, it makes no difference to the crowd!

Let's take everybody's mind off arguments that will never be settled. So, what's better, Mac or PC?

Posté Mon 20 May 13 @ 1:52 pm
djsherz wrote :
Let's take everybody's mind off arguments that will never be settled. So, what's better, Mac or PC?

Grabs popcorn, gets comfy.

Posté Mon 20 May 13 @ 3:41 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Tayla's left the building...

Posté Mon 20 May 13 @ 5:32 pm
jakovskiPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Sorry but i really don't understand all that crying about the sync button. There is a sync in every Software on the market - even the Timecode Serato has one !!

Ok, they call them BPM but in fact it shows the BPM of the left and right song. Does not seem to be complicated in my eyes. Move the pitch of the TT until it matches the BPM of the second deck.

So sorry if i sound stupid - but where is the difference ? It's exactely the same - just that there is a button which does the effect.

And everybody should be fair - even with the sync button you need to preview a song, hear that it does not fit and pitchbend it to the correct point because in many cases it sounds not that perfect as i want it to.

Just my 2 cents,
Heiko

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 12:19 am
SYNC Djs are better (LMFAO)

IF YOU CAN BEATMATCH why in the hell you want to do so just push sync its cool

LOL

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 12:31 am
To sync, or not to sync. That is the question.

This is my opinion and just MY opinion.

I have no problem with sync. I personally don't use sync but then,I have been a professional DJ for over 23 years. I learned on turntables and records. I am a hip hop, R&B party dj. I say party DJ because I do both clubs and mobile. For the most part, if it's not a wedding or a sports event, is a party. Even if it's a wedding or a sports event, I try to make it a party or party like.

If I were an edm DJ, I would probably use sync.
If I were mixing 4 decks, I would probably use sync.
If I were into production, I would probably use sync.

The only issue I have with sync is when a person (pardon me for the use of some of these words. I use them for lack of Better ones). Claims to be a DJ but the only skill they have is pushing the sync button. When that person had no desire to learn how to DJ outside the sync button.

Someone with a laptop, illegal music and a cracked copy of vdj will never be able to replace me at any event I do! These people do however sometimes force prices lower.
So far, this has not effected me but it might one day.

The "Sync a Song" post is meant to be fun and funny. It is not a jab at the sync button and it is not an endorsement either. It's funny. Nothing more, nothing less.

Use sync of it works for you. Just don't depend on it.

MY views on sync.
Rant over

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 10:31 am
Oh...
One more thing...

MACBOOK!!!
pc

But again, that's just ME.

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 12:12 pm
djcity wrote :
To sync, or not to sync. That is the question.

The only issue I have with sync is when a person (pardon me for the use of some of these words. I use them for lack of Better ones). Claims to be a DJ but the only skill they have is pushing the sync button. When that person had no desire to learn how to DJ outside the sync button.

I don't think you can seriously do any proper mixing when the only trick you know is pushing a sync button. When 'persons' have no clue on music structure and theory, energy, mixing, track selection and so on there is no way they are going to be out there and not make a fool out of themselves.

djcity wrote :

Someone with a laptop, illegal music and a cracked copy of vdj will never be able to replace me at any event I do! These people do however sometimes force prices lower.

That is however much more of an issue. There have always been people with bootlegged music, but technology and communications have gotten the initial investment to get a professional party going down to a minimum, 'affordable' for anyone and not just the ultra enthusiasts putting all their cash aside to buy their first SL1200.

Than again, haven't we all as kids started somewhat similar? Being creative and improvising gear together, borrowing music etc etc.

Prices get ruined in every type of business, especially now with the world 'in crisis'. There are always assholes that will invent some way to do things cheaper. Either truly smart, illegal or plain stupidity. Customers realize they are 'getting it cheap' but right now that's their only option to buy.

That's the sad truth of the world we live in today..... happy partying!

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 1:19 pm
wow! this one continues? sorry I acknowledged the sync comment in any way. I will NEVER do it again, I promise.

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 1:26 pm
TDBennett wrote :
wow! this one continues? sorry I acknowledged the sync comment in any way. I will NEVER do it again, I promise.

This is the song that never ends...
Lol

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 7:30 pm
danielsr2006 wrote :
Is there a limit of purchasing 'sync a song'? I want to buy it as a stocking stuffer for all my friends and family members! Even my neighbor if he stops throwing his trash into my yard...

(In my TV commercial announcers voice)

There is NO LIMIT...

You can order "Sync a Song for every member of your family.
Just think of all the fun you will have...
All the income you will produce.

Simply pay separate shipping and handling.

Call NOW!!!
1-800-USE-SYNC
That's 1-800 - U S E - S Y N C

Order NOW!!!
Operators are standing by.

Posté Tue 21 May 13 @ 7:39 pm
Hitting Sync is easier. period.

I switched, because I got sick of everyone from the bus boy to the valet, to the janitor walking by and saying "hey! I have virtual DJ on my computer too!" It's too widely pirated, and virtual DJ will not stop it because every user illegal or not makes them money.

I also do a lot of high end corporate work. When I get a rider, it usually specifically says Serato Scratch Live on a Mac. I have actually seen it written (NO Virtual DJ, Traktor, Mega Seg, etc.)

I worked a hot urban club in Atlanta, I brought my own VDJ machine and plugged in. They let me go, because they wanted us working SSL with turntables. This is when I bought SSL and decided to learn it as well. I got hooked.

I do not have an issue with the sync button. I have an issue with the cues being too slow... with the DVS system having massive latency, with the controller latency, with all the latency.

VDJ needs to stop supporting every $35 controller to hit the market, and focus on just a few professional controllers and make them work perfectly.

That's not the virtual DJ business model though. They want every 12 year old with a blister packed grocery store DJ controller to find a copy of VDJ in the wrapper and get hooked.

I have hopes that the new version will be better if it's ever released, and would gladly switch back, but once I got the taste of a really tight software, it made it impossible to tolerate any slop.

I believe sync only helps the creativity of a dj. it allows another thing to happen in that time when you would have been matching beats. The Ritchie Hawtin example was spot on!

There are choices out there. many people talk smack about other solutions without ever trying them.

VDJ doesn't have the professional market's ear. They do however have everyone else's. Given the choice, I can't blame them. let's say it was simply a dollar per user. There are a lot more bedroom djs than professionals..

I'd also follow the money. (Not the snotty DJ)

Posté Wed 22 May 13 @ 8:53 am
94%