Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Accidental double press protect mode

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I don't know if I'm the minority here, but all 3 of my controllers (mixtrack pro, NS6 and now HS5500's) over time developed a bug which caused certain buttons to send a doubled signal after pressing. I would press play and track would move a few mili seconds and stop, on Serato i would press load, and software performed an instant double function which was associated with double clicking load button.

I assume that it comes from used up micro switches but I figured it wouldn't be too much trouble to add the option "prevent accidental double press" which would cause Virtual DJ to ignore every double press that occured, let's say less than 10ms apart. It's not humanly possible to double press a button in such short time so I think it wouldn't affect anyone performance and it would really help out all of us using a slightly "worn out" hardware.

Posté Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 3:30 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
The term is 'contact bounce' and HW has debouncing built in usually about 50 ms so I'm not sure this is a goer.

Posté Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 5:16 pm
HW?

Posté Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 5:34 pm
HW=Hardware SW=Software

Posté Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 7:15 pm
Well as I said I used 3 midi devices, and none of them had it or it didn't work properly. Software implementation shouldn't be much work, hence the thread. Am I the only one who had experienced such problems?

Posté Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 8:01 pm
No all hardware has debouncing written in to the firmware, (it has to) adding another layer of debouncing in the SW will make it a bit unresponsive, I think it's time to get the soldering iron out.

Posté Thu 04 Dec 14 @ 1:28 am
Ok I've read about "contact bounce" and I understand why one can assume that debouncing has to implemented in the hardware itself as it's a case for every switch by nature. Sill i've looked at few sample codes implementing debouncing and they do not appear to be resource consuming in comparison to all the other things software has to do every time a button is pressed. I'm not that hi-level programmer to presume I can think of every drawback to adding a second level of debouncing in the software, but if it's possible it would be a nice feature.

If not - well my soldering iron has it's own little spot on my desk ;).

Posté Thu 04 Dec 14 @ 5:30 am
To be honest, the cost to replace a few button switches does not justify the cost to implement a second layer of software protection.
Also the key here is not CPU consumption, but LATENCY!!! Software protection against accidental double clicks would increase the latency between the button press and the software processing the command.
Finally the fact that when you press play you can hear some sound and then it stops, means that the second "press" was enough time ahead of initial press to get away from protection.

PS: When you scratch, or tap buttons "quickly" to create a stutter effect your hand can get as low as sending a command every 3 ms!
PS2: The useless information of the day: Some drummers are known to be able to manipulate hits approximately every 1.6ms meaning 600 hits per minute (per hand - 1200 total)! So, no it's not impossible to hit willingly the same button twice in less than 10ms!

Posté Thu 04 Dec 14 @ 1:36 pm
Understood.. Thank you for taking the time to explain the problem in such detail. Shutting up now.. ;)

Posté Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 11:42 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)