Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Two Bass Bins Together : Pro's and Con's? - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
bigron1 wrote :
any wise comments?

Every room is different. You will need to experiment with placement. I find myself, even in rooms I've played for years, tweeking speaker angle and EQ settings to get the most out of my system. Sound is a learning process. You never know everything. One of our member, Dazmax, is brilliant when it comes to sound. I've learned volumes from him, all in PMs and Skype texts. Just keep at it and you'll get there one day.

Posté Thu 07 May 15 @ 6:21 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
This thread helped me last night. I was under equipped for a very large venue with a 1000w rms amp, and 2 x 500w rms 12" (4 ohm) speakers. Setting my mixer to mono, and placing both speakers side, by side on a very large high stage was the answer. I never felt stretched. You must remember I'm a mobile, and people often don't want to pay extra for a second amp. and bins.

PS : I might stick with mono. Oh, and two effects used by one of our best, I think it was the phantomdj, flanjet, and loop out were excellent. I liked using back spin overlapped by a new song intro as well. Also my rig is starting to look a little tidier. I've learned a lot in a short time here.

Thanks everyone (including Tayla and the star cloth which I got!)

Posté Sun 10 May 15 @ 9:34 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hey, glad I could help.

Posté Sun 10 May 15 @ 10:20 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
bigron1 wrote :
1000w rms amp, and 2 x 500w rms 12" (4 ohm) speakers.

You're 50% shy of the right power here.

Posté Sun 10 May 15 @ 7:50 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
locodog wrote :
bigron1 wrote :
1000w rms amp, and 2 x 500w rms 12" (4 ohm) speakers.

You're 50% shy of the right power here.

Not sure if he gave the amp rating for 8ohms. And, if it's only program music not live, then you don't need as much headroom. So having the amp rated at the speaker rating for prerecorded music is actually recommended. If both live and prerecorded are being performed, then more headroom on the amp is advisable.

Posté Sun 10 May 15 @ 10:48 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
ron is KJ.

Posté Sun 10 May 15 @ 11:18 pm
On this occasion I was lucky that it was just disco. The amp was the pv1500 which outputs 500w rms per channel at 4ohm. My speakers are 12" 500w rms at 4 ohm. For a lightweight rig I've never seen anything more powerful? I should have had bins, and twice the power. I do make it clear that I charge more for a 2k rig. Anyway the little speakers did the job.

Mono and side by side speakers did seem to give a tiny bit of headroom.

There is a lot of misinformation related to the matching of speakers, and amps on the Internet. Although my speakers are each 1000w program Peavey engineers recommend this pairing, and I think it is wise to follow their advice.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 5:15 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
In larger rooms, you're better off running mono anyway. The subtleties of stereo are lost in larger areas.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 6:59 am
Hmm.. another massive topic!
Mono gets my vote.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 7:24 am
locodog wrote :
ron is KJ.

Agreed
Vocals do not need the headroom of say a drum kit or other dynamic instruments.

With that aside, my rig does not have massive amount of headroom for even when I'm running live shows. I do have proper gain structure and limiting. I do not run into my clip lights. A common misconception is having to small of an amp will damage your speakers. This is not true. Running any amp into clipping will damage your speakers. But, if it's a lower wattage, you just have lower volume.

This brings up another thought. By not running my amps at double the rated wattage on the speaker, I loose maybe 1-3 DB off the maximum output of the speaker. My setup has plenty of output for the crowds that I perform for. I fill an outdoor space of 300 people dancing to EDM. I also fill that same space with a rock band performance. In both areas I have not had to run full bore more then 10% of the evening. Indoors there is no question of having enough volume. I have some upgrades planned for the future, but that is because I want to start doing larger events.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 9:11 am
The engineers at the Peavey UK headquarters did say "there only 12" speakers", suggesting that other advice may be forthcoming for bigger speakers.
The amp to speaker power ratio is a bit of a minefield. I would always contact the manufacturer, and seek their advice.
This is a good reason for having both the amp, and speakers made by the same company.

Note: I have used a 1600w rms amp on the 1012's, which has over time damaged the speakers. No red lights, no clipping and the voice coil remains perfect, a nice light brown after failure. What fails is the soldered tag joint connecting the voice coil, to the input. This does not happen using a 1000w rms amp. That could be unique to Peavey.
If you push the red lights on a Peavey amp, even though they have a built in limiter, you will burn out the voice coil, as I did. I wish I never read the bit about the amp having a limiter!
I've go UL15's as well, but rarely use them.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 9:37 am
I suppose a KJ is different to a rigid format traditional karaoke night host?
Hmm..KJ Ron! lol

No red lights has got to be the 1st Law of DJing, er..and KJing.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 9:41 am
I will have to look for my article on setting limiters to the speakers by measuring the voltage out of the amp. This would keep you from blowing your speakers even if your running a larger amp.

If your interested send me a PM or something so as not to go to far off the topic of this thread.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 2:01 pm
I have found that having some subs under the table of your setup can causes feedback on the mic, a lot of people put subs in the middle when combining them.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 3:21 pm
If you think of a wave caused by a stone thrown into a pond the the centre is always best if practical. The sound will radiate from the centre.

Posté Mon 11 May 15 @ 3:53 pm
To calculate output-power just measure outputvoltage of the amplifier like: UxU / load
For example you measure 80VAC RMS (with a simple AC multimeter) this will be 80x80 / 8ohm = 6400 / 8 = 800Watts
Run the amp with a 50Hz (or 60Hz) sinewave to be able to use a cheap multimeter.

Posté Tue 12 May 15 @ 1:30 am
Charlie Wilson wrote :
I have found that having some subs under the table of your setup can causes feedback on the mic, a lot of people put subs in the middle when combining them.

A way around that is with a low frequency cut off on the mic input or dropping the bass down on the mic.

Posté Tue 12 May 15 @ 1:40 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)