Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Sync button occasionally lights up solid?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Quick question --

Using various pieces of hardware, the sync buttons will normally flash away to the beat as a track is playing, but occasionally one deck will light up solid even while a track is not playing. It doesn't seem to have any effect on anything - I'm not using them and nothing else seems to change how it is operating. I'll notice this about once or twice a night, and always have since first switching over the Virtual 5 years ago (so it's not a v8 thing).

Like I said, I don't use the sync buttons so it seems odd they do this every now and then - anyone have any insight?

Posté Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 3:03 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
It's only a simple script which controls the led. Have a look in VDJ setup --->CONTROLLERS --->find the script for the SYNC button, and its LED.
These is always the possibility of multiple functions mapped to this button.

Posté Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 3:13 pm
I know how to turn the LED on and off with scripting - I'm more curious as to why it's on in the first place. According to the manual, it sounds like it is something to do with "master" mode, but I don't know what that is, or why it would be turning on and off by itself.

Posté Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 7:28 pm
It is not about switching the led on / off.
Unless it's hardwired the manual is unimportant.
VDJ scripts most likely control that button, and when you mention modes that means the button may control more than one function.
Look at the scripts and figure out what their doing.

So many functions are hidden away, particularly on buttons, and might affect say the jog wheel changing what it does from browse to jog, or scratch.
Each of these would be a jog wheel mode which a button determines.

The led is not turning on/ off by itself, you're doing something to change the mode.
Maybe just a simple further press.

I've rarely found the manuals adequate to clarify the script functions.
It's better to examine them, and then if needed modify to suit your needs.

Posté Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 7:54 pm
djoddity wrote :
I know how to turn the LED on and off with scripting - I'm more curious as to why it's on in the first place. According to the manual, it sounds like it is something to do with "master" mode, but I don't know what that is, or why it would be turning on and off by itself.

The light IS turning on/off by itself and it's more then likely your "Master" deck.

The Master is the deck that your samples will follow when you play them.

If you've NEVER selected which deck is your master then VDJ does select a deck automatically for you.......... And YES do read the manual as it has a ton of info.

@Ron, your making this waaaay more complicated then it is. Anything script related can be found in the WIKI......

Posté Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 10:44 pm
I respectfully think your line of thought is wrong for many people Beatbreaker.

Take my decks as an example.
Can you find a manual for the Denon DNS1200's which explains the VirtualDJ mappings, and what the CDJ's buttons do?
I don't think so?
I figured out what the scripts did on those decks by viewing them, trial and error, and understanding.

On the MC6000 the mapping are forever evolving, and being modified.
I do have a manual for that item, however the VDJ section is nowhere near comprehensive.

Many controllers do not have specific sections in their manual to guide VDJ users. What do you do then?
They were not designed for VDJ but do work perfectly well.

What if you download an optimized mapping from the VDJ website?
Few have comprehensive guides.

As to what it is which is changing the state of the button, that can easily be determined from the script.
I'm not providing an answer, but a way of thinking which will resolve a multitude of problems of this type.
If adopted it will help users get the full benefit of their controllers.

Is it a masterdeck led?
It's easy to find out from the scripts.

Yes I always study the manuals, but this is an additional approach which is of great value.

Your approach is different to mine.
You want to devote all your effort to DJ'ing.
Many have the "I just want to DJ" approach, that's fine.
However different types of DJ do exist, and some will embrace the technical issues.

"anything script related can be found in the WIKI......" the relevant scripts are in your laptops in the VDJ8 settings-->controllers. The wiki defines the laws used to construct those scripts, and gives usage examples.

I am making things difficult, I'm saying learn.

Posté Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 12:26 am
I was just giving him a direct answer and as far as manuals go. All of my hardware does have a PDF file which I downloaded from VDJ. And I don't think a novice should be playing around with the scripts because that can lead to bad things IF they don't really have a grasp on how VDJ script works.....

But yeah you are right, I'd rather build my Dj skills then tinker around

Posté Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 4:22 am
djoddity wrote :
Quick question --

Using various pieces of hardware, the sync buttons will normally flash away to the beat as a track is playing, but occasionally one deck will light up solid even while a track is not playing. It doesn't seem to have any effect on anything - I'm not using them and nothing else seems to change how it is operating. I'll notice this about once or twice a night, and always have since first switching over the Virtual 5 years ago (so it's not a v8 thing).

Like I said, I don't use the sync buttons so it seems odd they do this every now and then - anyone have any insight?

Back to topic:

It's not the controller, nor the button or the led that have an issue.
It's just a minor glitch/bug where a few visual elements can calculate their status in a "wrong" way.
Usually this happens when you stop the deck right after a significant change of the element's status.
Until now only "sync" and "compressor" leds are known to be affected by this glitch. Since they calculate their data dynamically based on the output of the sound engine, there's a rare case that if you stop the deck (which stops all calculations) while they are at their "pick" calculated value, they can get stuck until you do "any" operation on the deck.
It's a minor issue and it's only a visual one.

Posté Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 7:02 am
Sorry to hash up this old thread, but I just saw Phantom's reply now and it is basically what he said - light is on until you jiggle the jog, then off it goes. No harm, no foul, and at least now I know what's causing it and that it isn't affecting anything else, so mystery resolved.

Also, who you calling a novice beatbreaker? I have no issue diving into code - I've custom mapped all my gear. ;-)

Thanks for the help.

Posté Fri 15 Jan 16 @ 3:35 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)