Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet i5 or i7?to

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi all, I am contemplating a new laptop. My Current Lenovo b50 seem to often be running at her limits processor wise (amd Ratheon 2 core) and I have been looking at intel equipped Laptops. My question is, is the extra expense of an i7 processor justified by it's performance? I want to start incorporating more Video, and I am afraid my current set up is not gonna to be up to the task, also taking into account the controller upgrade I want (Numark NV) which I have read doesn't work well with AMD processors, thoughts? The cost difference i5 vs i7 is about $125-$150.

Thanks,
Darren

Posté Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 2:53 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Of course a stronge CPU is always advantageous ( Intel recommended in general)
But please focus also on a strong videocard (e.g. Intel HD 4600 or higher) if you trying or planning to do Video.

Posté Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 5:35 am
Let me put it this way:
An i5 processor will cover all your needs for CPU power and it will rarely go higher than 80% while the overall usage should be around 20%-30% max.
An i7 processor will also cover all your needs, but it will rarely go higher than 50% with the overall usage been around 10-20% max.

If that difference justifies the extra money, is up to you to judge.

But as Rob said above me, if you are really going to do to video you should not invest only on the processor. You need a good video card as well. Also for video you better invest on more RAM as well.
So, in order to recap, if money is an issue I would go for the i5 processor in order to get more RAM and a better video card for the "same" price I would spend on the i7.
If money is not an issue, then nothing can beat a well built i7 based system in terms of power.

Posté Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 8:03 am
Thanks for the feedback, that kinda confirms my thinking as well. Buy Once Cry Once!

Posté Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 5:17 pm
I say go with the i7, but would like to stress the video card. I know some people on here use the Intel HD video cards. They may do very well, and you should ask the users their opinions on that card. I am all video, and have only used NVidia cards, because they work and they work great. I started out building desktops, and when I finally went to a laptop, I went NVidia. Good luck.

Posté Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 6:58 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I5 with nvidia gt740 here.
but did some gigs with the internal HD4000 as well.
all good.

Posté Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 8:37 pm

Posté Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 5:27 pm
smells good to me.

Posté Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 5:44 pm
On its way!

Posté Tue 13 Oct 15 @ 9:35 pm
That was the way to go! Normal usage barely registers on the cpu meter! My old one would spend most of it's time in the red.

Posté Tue 20 Oct 15 @ 5:45 pm
So, what's the meaning of that ?
Having a car with a V8 engine running on idle most of the time.
Your CPU will die early due to boring life I'm afraid. LOL

Posté Tue 20 Oct 15 @ 7:23 pm
MrJackson2014 wrote :
So, what's the meaning of that ?
Having a car with a V8 engine running on idle most of the time.
Your CPU will die early due to boring life I'm afraid. LOL

So when I step on the Gas it goes, like running 4 decks and downloading 2 tracks from CU and running video, Cpu just shrugs and goes "Is That all you got?"

Posté Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 1:59 am
catgoatPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I would just like to add to this thread for future generations: I found a mobile GPU comparison list:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

In my research, it seems an Intel HD 4000 card is the barest minimum for vdj, so this list makes it pretty easy to see where a certain GOU stacks against the barest of minimums. thanks for the info in this thread, it has been very helpful.

Posté Thu 19 Nov 15 @ 11:11 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)