Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Sujet Auto update database in VDJ8 - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

I mostly use VDJ 7 at gigs but sometimes I use 8. The reason is because 7 has a few features that I don't necessarily like in 8. I once got a pop up saying that VDJ7 database is newer than 8. Would I like to update it(or something like that). I choose yes and it does. Great feature in 8. My question?? Will it ask each time if I used 7 at the previous gig? I can't try it as I don't have my external hard drive available at this time...

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 4:43 pm
Not aware of that feature at all.

If you delete database.xml, version 8 will create a new one based on your V7 database every time it's deleted.

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 4:50 pm
Now I understand why I got the pop up to update... That explains why I don't see it anymore. Lol Thank you! For me that would be an excellent feature to add with a choice to use it or not. I continue to use 7 at most gigs because I got really use to drag and drop of songs I put in the sidelist and automix. I change my mind so much during an evening to make sure I play the perfect tunes all evening so I drag out songs really quickly I know I won't use anymore. I actually don't use automix. I use it exactly in the same as the sidelist. I use the sidelist for example: beats over 115 that I wanna play and automix section for beats from 65 to 100. This way the songs are in my face all night(less flipping through folders). And I use SBDJ scrolltext2 all night as well on many weekly gigs. I have asked on a few occasions to add the drag and drop in VDJ8 for this reason but I don't think it will ever happen. Sorry the rest wasn't part of my original question but each issue for me has something to do with the other.

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 5:11 pm
Actually this is an option now (since version 8.1) "importV7Databases"
If set to yes (default setting) then VirtualDj 8.1 will prompt you if you want to import the V7 database every time it detects that your V7 database is newer than your V8 database.

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 5:42 pm
I suspect this option is to be used with caution...

Say for example you have mainly been working in VDJ 8 and have added a lot of comments, cue points, POIs and so on to the 8 DB.

Next time, you use VDJ 7 and maybe you add some new tracks to it - so the date of the DB is newer.

If VDJ 8 were to then import the VDJ 7 database, what happens to the data you added to 8? Does the process replace the 8 DB, or just add the new info to it?

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 5:50 pm
Yes, I now see it and it is set to yes but it never asks me if I want to update. It asked me once a when I updated to 8.1 and has never asked again? I just played about 10 songs in VDJ7 and then closed it opened 8 and it doesn't update and it didn't update from many gigs ago. Am I doing something wrong?

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 5:51 pm
Nice feature, just never knew about it!

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 6:27 pm
Ya nice feature if it works? It's certainly not working for me! Anyone out there know how to get it to work? My default is set to "yes" but it doesn't automatically update or ask if I would like to update and I use VDJ7 much more often than 8. " Groovin" also made some valid points. Can someone give us more info please?

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 7:52 pm
I wouldn't want this to go unanswered. At this point it's moving down the line quite rapidly. Can someone from the VDJ team respond please?

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 4:15 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I think it will not ask you everytime the v7 db has changed. but after a couple of days it will check if v7 has changed and then prompt you.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 4:40 pm
Actually it asks only if your V8 database is more than a week older than your v7 database.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 4:47 pm
Thanks for the answer but it has never updated more than once... that's when I updated to 8.1. I use 8.1 very very rarely. maybe once a month to see if anything has changed. I use 7 3 times a week. Here are other concerns that Groovindj had as well:

Say for example you have mainly been working in VDJ 8 and have added a lot of comments, cue points, POIs and so on to the 8 DB.

Next time, you use VDJ 7 and maybe you add some new tracks to it - so the date of the DB is newer.

If VDJ 8 were to then import the VDJ 7 database, what happens to the data you added to 8? Does the process replace the 8 DB, or just add the new info to it?

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 4:51 pm
no headphone from vdj8 since the last upgrade. solutions anyone??????...
using windows 10 and headphone works fine if I switch to vdj7. problem with ni audio 2dj , audio 2mk1 and internal soundcard.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 4:58 pm

Nothing to do with this topic, however go to options, check headphonesGain is set to 0.50 or above.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 4:59 pm
funkmasterfrank wrote :
Thanks for the answer but it has never updated more than once... that's when I updated to 8.1. I use 8.1 very very rarely. maybe once a month to see if anything has changed. I use 7 3 times a week. Here are other concerns that Groovindj had as well:

Yes, that option is to be used with caution. When VirtualDj re-imports the V7 database, then it deletes the old V8 database.
This option was added to help people that want to switch to V8 after having tried it out some time in the past and didn't feel comfortable to do the switch at the moment.
These people already have an outdated V8 database on their systems (since they tried V8 some time ago) and VirtualDj prompts them to re-import V7 database.
This option WAS NOT designed with people who want to use both V7 and V8 at the same time in mind.
So, you should either use VirtualDj 7 or VirtualDj 8. If you want to use both versions then just switch this option to off so that VirtualDj 8 completely ignores any changes you make on V7 databases and keeps it's own database no matter how old it is.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 5:05 pm
My final question is what step do I take to import my 7 database into 8 as it never asks since the 1st time months ago when I installed 8.1? Do I delete 8 database?

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 5:54 pm
Yes.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 5:56 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Yes, that option is to be used with caution. When VirtualDj re-imports the V7 database, then it deletes the old V8 database.
This option was added to help people that want to switch to V8 after having tried it out some time in the past and didn't feel comfortable to do the switch at the moment.

Just a question, because I can't test it:

Will V8 save a copy of the "old" V8 database in the Backup folder before updating and deleting the database?
Same thing happens if VDJ tries to repair a broken database.
If that is not the case, it would be a good fallback in case the conversion of v7 to v8 database messed up to much data.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 8:42 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
As far as i know backup will be made only when a broken DB is being deteced and a repair procedure take place.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 10:31 am
Ok, I deleted database.xml and VDJ 8.1 did not create a new database based on 7? Ideas, it just created a new blank database? This is what I was told to do in an earlier post... Tried this also and it didn't work... I used VDJ7 10 days ago for a gig and last night I opened VDJ8 and it did not ask if I want to update as VDJ7 was newer? Ideas? I made sure importdatabase was checked in setup options but nothing is working for me... As I said from the beginning it has only asked me once automatically if I want to update the 8.1 with 7 database as it was newer. And that's only happened when I updated from 8 to 8.1! I'm trying everything suggested but not getting ahead! Is there someone from the "Team" that can sort this out please? I use 7 most of the time so it has many years of history. I don't use comments or any other things , I solely use the database in 7 for date last used and BPM so I wouldn't loose any other data. I periodically like to test 8 to see improvements or additional features.

Posté Fri 26 Feb 16 @ 4:49 pm
91%