Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Pioneer DDJ-1000 with dual PC connected strange behaviour - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

I'm running the Pioneer DDJ-1000 with both my PC's (one for backup) and it works quite well must say.
But something weird has happened twice in my last two gigs.
The backup PC is connected to USB-B port and main is connected to USB-A port of DDJ-1000.
Deck 1 and 2 are assigned to main PC (USB-A) and Deck 4 (spare / backup) is assigned to USB-B.
Suddenly the backup PC can be heard through Deck 2, independent on the fader position.
So it seems like even if the backup PC is connected to USB-B, the audio playing can end up on ch.2 on DDJ (Deck 2 on main PC)

Any advice?

Posté Thu 06 Jun 19 @ 12:24 pm
What you need to understand is that DDJ-1000 mixer is not hardware but MIDI.
This means that the volume faders and the source switchers on top just send MIDI messages on the connected application.
Also this means that effectively both computers connected on USB A and USB B can send audio at DDJ-1000 at the same time on both master and headphones outputs.

The way DJ software deals with this is to MUTE the corresponding deck when the source swithcher is not on assigned on the correct USB.
If you altered your mapping to remove the "mute" function please restore it back.
If you use the factory default mapping and you still have issues then please consider to switch back and forth the source switchers to both USB positions before you start using the controller for the rest of your gig

Also due to the MIDI nature of the mixer if you unmute or alter the volume of a deck via the VirtualDJ GUI the decks will become audible

I hope this info helps.
If not, please try to provide the exact steps to reproduce the issue.

Posté Thu 06 Jun 19 @ 3:49 pm
Thanks Phantom.
I always need to flip the usb selection switches before gig and I have a habit now to do it every time.
And this was also the case yesterday but during the gig it changed by itself.
Mapping is not changed. Pure original.

Will try to reproduce. Have a gig on Saturday.

Posté Thu 06 Jun 19 @ 7:28 pm
Ok. Just FYI:
Normally on the backup laptop you should see MUTE - on the track's Artist/Title display on the GUI when the source switcher is set on the primary laptop.
If that's not the case the decks will be audible...

Posté Fri 07 Jun 19 @ 9:18 am
SADLY, This is why I refuse to use a midi/software mixer with my gigs. I recommend always paying extra for a hardware mixer like the ddj-sz2 or ddj-rz.

Posté Fri 07 Jun 19 @ 4:23 pm
Funny, but DDJ-SZ2 is NOT operating as a hardware mixer with both Serato or VirtualDJ
It operates as a MIDI mixer with a internal/external mixer hybrid audio setup.
The volume of each deck is controlled by the software, but it's sent on a different audio channel that then get's passed to master output.
And then you also have a PFL audio channel that's also MIDI controlled (in other words the PFL buttons operate via MIDI)

Also while DDJ-RZ can be set to operate as a hardware mixer by default it operates as MIDI mixer for both Rekordbox and VirtualDJ.
And you can't set it to hardware mixing with Rekordbox! Rekordbox sends a hidden message via the drivers of the unit and reverts it to MIDI mixing upon launch.

MIDI mixing is not bad. And personally I believe it gives you more functionality than hardware mixing. POST-FADER effects being the most important, then auto-headphones and other stuff.

With DDJ-1000 Pioneer redesigned the way dual USB ports can be assigned on decks. Now you can set any deck on any (of the 2) USB ports you wish.
Before DDJ-1000 you had to flip the entire left or right side of the controller on one computer.
Now you can assign deck 1,2 and 3 on USB A and deck 4 on USB B if you wish.

The only controller from Pioneer that featured a full true external hardware mixer setup was Pioneer DDJ-SZ (the first model)
All other controllers from Pioneer use internal (MIDI) mixing, or a hybrid like SZ2
Also all Pioneer Rekordbox controllers (DDJ-R series) always work as MIDI mixers with Rekordbox.

Posté Wed 12 Jun 19 @ 10:24 am
I should probably correct my Sz2 comment and state that I own an SZ. I must also say that I run the RZ in hardware mode and it behaves exactly like my SZ does.

Posté Fri 14 Jun 19 @ 4:47 pm
I found similar problems ever since I update to firmware 1.06 in the controller. The only way the 2nd computer will work, is if its using recordbox. :(

Posté Fri 14 Jun 19 @ 10:49 pm
downgrade the firmware

Posté Sat 15 Jun 19 @ 2:10 am
this post got me thinking, think i solved it.

Posté Sat 15 Jun 19 @ 2:11 am
gmediaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
On your second PC, can you display only the skin for 2 VDJ Decks, but assign 3 and 4 to those instead of 1 and 2?

Sincerely,
Chris

Posté Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 10:12 am
Yes you can. Basically the default 2 decks skin works with left/right logic. So on your second PC you need to toggle left deck to deck 3 and right deck to deck 4.
Then you'll be able to use the 2 decks skin with decks 3&4 on DDJ-1000

Posté Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 12:46 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Yes you can. Basically the default 2 decks skin works with left/right logic. So on your second PC you need to toggle left deck to deck 3 and right deck to deck 4.
Then you'll be able to use the 2 decks skin with decks 3&4 on DDJ-1000

I have stared at it for a long time on multiple occasions in the past to do what you are saying, but I am overlooking the place to toggle. Can you give me a screenshot or something?

Thanks a lot!!
Chris

Posté Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 1:21 pm
Ok, I think I figured it out, except for one issue.

So you have to:
1. Change to FOUR DECKS skin
2. Select the LEFT button for the 3rd Deck and the RIGHT button for the 4th deck
3. Change back to the TWO DECK skin

Now the two decks will be the 3 and 4.

This is great!

The only issue is that when I toggle the jog wheel on the LEFT between 3 and 1 and the RIGHT jog wheel between 2 and 4, it will switch which of the decks that I can physically see in VDJ to one of the decks that is inactive. Kind of confusing, but hopefully you're understanding.

So, I set it up to where the LEFT computer is Decks 1 and 2 and the RIGHT computer is decks 3 and 4.

As soon as I tell the jog wheel I want to switch which deck it controls, VDJ will make the track I had loaded in that deck disappear, because it will bring up a hidden deck that is not being used and "mute it". Since I only want to see two decks at a time on each PC, the PC will not show the tracks I have loaded unless I switch the jog wheel to that deck.

So for the LEFT PC that is supposed to be for Decks 1 and 2. it will show me decks 3 and 4 if the jog wheels are not set to 1 and 2. Or even if I only switch one of the decks, it will show the inactive deck for that side and the active deck for the other side, i.e 1 and 4.

I suppose what it is doing is it is toggling the RIGHT and LEFT buttons on a particular PC, each time you toggle the Jog Wheel Deck button.

A solution for me would be:

1. There is a DUAL PC mode in VDJ, where maybe it will not assume more than two decks are present or will not automatically toggle RIGHT and LEFT buttons.

or

2. You can HARD select what decks you want to see on your PC, and they do not change unless you go in and HARD select different ones.

Any thoughts or a solution?

Chris

Posté Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 3:12 pm
Anyone??

Chris

Posté Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 9:57 pm
This is exactly what I’m looking to do.

Posté Wed 11 Mar 20 @ 9:22 pm
Me too. Unfortunately, I am still not sure how to accomplish it, and there has been no love here.

Chris

Posté Wed 11 Mar 20 @ 9:30 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
does the switch button send midi? [i assume it does I just can't see which in the mapper it is]
might be an issue you can solve with a custom skin

Posté Wed 11 Mar 20 @ 9:43 pm
Not sure here. I assume it does, as it triggers a change in VDJ. I'm not completely sure how to check though.

Chris

Posté Wed 11 Mar 20 @ 9:46 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
press the button while in the mapping section

Posté Wed 11 Mar 20 @ 9:49 pm
61%