Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Parse Files etc

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi, I have had a look at a few posts about this subject but need more info and clarification please.
I want to tidy up the file names of my entire music collection over time. But for now I want to get started with the most used songs.
I have a music file management program that allows me to import an album and make any edits to the file names including the format, (order ie. TAD, ATD, etc).

I expect it would be easier for me to use this program, then have VDJ re-read the edited files.
I need to know which format is preferable for VDJ? I assume ATD? Or does it even matter?

All my music is stored on an external hard drive, which is plugged into my gig laptop.

OR.... Would it be easier / better to do the reverse and do all the editing in VDJ, and send the edits to my external hard drive?

Either way I'm not 100% clear on the entire process for either. If there is somewhere these processes are explained please show me where. Or perhaps someone could please explain here?

Also will my playlists be automatically updated if the edits are made to the root / source folder in VDJ?

Posté Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 2:22 am
Righto, no takers?
I have done some experimenting and found that:
The playlists do automatically update with changes made to the source folders.
It seems that the preferred filename format is AT (Artist Title)?
I added ID3 tags to some .wav files in a 3rd party program, (most of my music is in .wav format), and when imported into VDJ, the tags seemed to be ignored. The filename was used instead.
If no one can give me any better suggestions, I may just have to edit the files outside VDJ to be in proper standard format, (DiscIDArtistTitle), then edit the ID3 data in VDJ.
I really wish I could do away with that second step. Getting it all done in the first step for VDJ to be able to read the info correctly.

Posté Tue 11 Jun 19 @ 6:52 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Why not just edit the tags from within vdj?
Then you can still choose to automatically rename the file from within vdj as well.

Renaming from outside vdj will not update playlists or virtual folders, so you may get missing links there

Artist - Title (Remix)
is the most common file name format

Posté Tue 11 Jun 19 @ 6:57 am
Kenny Speed wrote :
in a 3rd party program

What third party program?

Unlike the tags in MP3 etc, WAVs don't have a single widely supported tag standard - so tagging them with software A does does guarantee they can be read with software B.

You may be able to find details of how VDJ tags WAVs here somewhere if you search. It's definitely been discussed before.

[EDIT] Here's one such thread, with a little bit of info. click here

Posté Tue 11 Jun 19 @ 4:40 pm
groovindj wrote :
Kenny Speed wrote :
in a 3rd party program

What third party program?

KJ File Manager by Karasoft.

Unlike the tags in MP3 etc, WAVs don't have a single widely supported tag standard - so tagging them with software A does does guarantee they can be read with software B.

You may be able to find details of how VDJ tags WAVs here somewhere if you search. It's definitely been discussed before.

Oh, ok, thankyou. I'll check out the info below after breakfast.

[EDIT] Here's one such thread, with a little bit of info. click here

Posté Tue 11 Jun 19 @ 8:58 pm
Thanks GroovinDJ, that thread was helpful.
I should be able to navigate my way forward from here.
Cheers,
Speedy.

Posté Tue 11 Jun 19 @ 9:27 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)