Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Starting out, what do I need?
Hello Virtual DJ community. I want to start out doing basic DJ stuff for my personal satisfaction. I am a music lover and want to play a full slate of music, leaning toward rock, mostly. I possess a laptop computer and virtual DJ software. Can someone suggest the basic set up that I would require to entertain a small dive bar? I am old and retired, not doing this for money and just want to play songs as they are, not adding anything else. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Victor Rukavina

Posté Tue 30 Mar 21 @ 3:14 am
Could just DJ from the laptop only, but add an extra sound card (usb) so that you can pre-listen next song without the audience hearing it.. and be able to cue next song up..

But its a lot more fun and "ease of use" if you get a DJ controller (that has such a sound card built in).
Doesnt have to be expensive, and doesnt have to be huge ...

Basic options that would work just fine, could be all from Numark DJ2go2 (around $100) to DDJ-400 (around $300) ... and lots of models in-between those or in that price range
https://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

A question would be if you are going to use mic, then you'd probably want to opt for a model that has a decent mic section.

Posté Tue 30 Mar 21 @ 8:12 am
Thank you very much for that useful information

Posté Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 2:08 am
Rune, thank you for your answer. I think I would go with the 400, I think I would need a mic, but you never know, I might at some point and have to buy it anyway and get rid of the cheaper one. I don't want to impose on you so would it be acceptable to ask you some more questions? Either way thank you for your answer. Victor

Posté Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 2:29 am
Feel free to ask ;-) its that the forum is for ;-)

Posté Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 12:41 pm
Hello Rune, I will purchase the 400. What is my next step? After getting the dj controller and attaching it to the laptop, what do I need next?

Posté Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 10:41 pm
Just need a license for the software (required if using a DJ controller)
https://www.virtualdj.com/buy/

And a pair of headphones to be able to cue up next song at the controller ideally ...
Thats pretty much it ;-)

Posté Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 10:45 pm
speakers to connect to the ddj-400 (self powered would be cost efficient or else you need an amp)
headphones to connect to ddj-400

Posté Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 11:26 pm
Thank you all for the suggestions, I appreciate the input. So all that is left is a pair of speakers and I would like to get self powered speakers and headphones? I would like to purchase these items, any suggestions?
Also 1 more question, does the ddj-400 support a subwoofer? Thanks again for the help, Victor.

Posté Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 1:30 am
something like this could work if your just playing at home for yourself https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1SV7YALAPLKKO&dchild=1&keywords=self+powered+speakers&qid=1617279168&sprefix=self+powered%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-9

or have a look at what you find here https://www.amazon.com/s?k=self+powered+speakers&crid=1SV7YALAPLKKO&sprefix=self+powered%2Caps%2C191&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

the ddj-400 like all controllers is not setup for surround sound just has stereo output. that being said a subwoofer can be hooked with the right speaker system. By this I mean you can find subwoofers that accept the input from the ddj-400 and then have outputs for the full range speakers.

the output from the ddj-400 is rca connectors you should find speaks that accept that as their input or you will need adapters.

Posté Thu 01 Apr 21 @ 12:20 pm
Thank you, everyone for the answers and the needed help. I will post when I get all my equipment together. Victor

Posté Fri 02 Apr 21 @ 8:54 pm
Rune and Wickedmix, Thanks for your help. I have the DDJ-400 and a headset by Phillips. I have ordered these powered speakers, (Pair Rockville RPG10 10" 1200w Powered PA/DJ Speakers + 2 Stands + 2 Cables+Bag), waiting for them to be shipped. I think I need a few RCA cables and I should be ready to enter the DJ world. I'm a little scared of making a fool of myself though, but, I'm going to give it a go. Thank you both again, I really appreciate the help.

Posté Sun 11 Apr 21 @ 3:13 am
You'll be fine with that ;-)
And should go all well ...

Posté Sun 11 Apr 21 @ 10:45 am
Thanks for your support and kind words, Rune.

Posté Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 2:34 am
Bryce SHome userMember since 2021
Hi im new to djing i have made a few albums of songs can anyone give me advice?

Posté Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 1:40 pm

Posté Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 1:58 pm
Bryce SHome userMember since 2021
hi thanks rune

Posté Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 3:39 pm
Bryce, Rune is cool, helpful, knowledgeable and supportive, He's the real deal. I thank him for his support of my endeavor, and I think you are in good hands. Victor.

Posté Sun 18 Apr 21 @ 2:53 am