Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Display Total Time For Selected playlist in main browser window? - Page: 1
Is there a bit of VDJ script to show total time of selected playlist? I need to know the projected time/length of my playlist without having to drop the entire playlist into the sideview automix window.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 12:51 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
select all, open tag editor

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 2:58 am
Thank you, that's a nice workaround but I'm talking about implementing a heads up display similar to the Automix window except right there in the main browser window. It doesn't seem like a major hurdle to program. If there's a bit of VDJ script to display that information I can just place it above in my custom skin if the VDJ devs are against making that information available to users in the main browser window..

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 3:01 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
In the main browser, you can see the total time in the tooltip of the number of files display.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 5:54 am
I'm on version 8.4 b5874 and have tooltips disabled because I find those pop up boxes distracting. Even when I turned tooltips back on it just says "File Count" when I hover over the number of files in a playlist next to the search box in the main browser window. Is there not a VDJ script to display total time for playlist?

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 12:45 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It was only recently added to the tooltip, so it will indeed not work with very old versions of VDJ.
There is no script that returns this time currently.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 12:58 pm
Are there plans to add that Automix time display feature to the main browser window? That is an extremely simple and elegant solution as opposed to hovering and pop up tooltips imho. Projected set length time is fundamental right up there with track length in terms of planning out sets and general gig preparation. Hopefully they can implement that or add a script to display that variable. Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 1:10 pm
The point is that automix should be ran from the automix window and the time is displayed there already.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 1:17 pm
I don't use Automix. I just want to know how long my set length is when preparing for gigs and don't want to have to jump though too many hoops to get there on a regular basis. Case in point: I have a 5 hour in-store gig coming up and want to know if the set I have prepared will be long enough to fill the time comfortably. I used this feature all the time way back on Traktor 3 when my career as a digital DJ was just beginning. They displayed that information in the browser window and I found it to be incredibly useful in preparing for the many varied length extended in-store gigs I did. To me it does not seem like an extraordinary request or something the vast majority of DJ's would not find useful/helpful information if displayed in a heads up accessible fashion. I mean can anyone give a good argument for NOT implementing that feature?

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 1:27 pm
It already exists in the software?

Is it really too much of a hassle to hit ctrl+a and drag to the Auomix window. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean the software needs to be changed just for you?

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 1:47 pm
I think a great analogy is having a car with the speedometer hidden in the glovebox. All you have to do is open the glovebox and look in there while you're driving to check your current speed. Simple right?🤣 I say why hide it in the glove box? Just put it on the dashboard already. Other car makers are doing it!😂 Hopefully the VDJ crew can implement this simple feature in the near future. I think many DJ's would find it very useful to have that heads up info even if they hadn't thought to use it as a tool. The keyword is "heads up" no drag and drop no click and a pane opens no select all tracks and open the tag editor. Just simple effortless and functional like so many of the existing VDJ scripts and features.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 1:53 pm
It would help if you were using the latest version of the software v8.5 b6606 nothing more to say.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 3:06 pm
gabrieldiggs wrote :
Projected set length time is fundamental right up there with track length in terms of planning out sets and general gig preparation.

But the Automix pane is where most DJs assemble their setlists for general gig preparation. It automatically calculates the overall time and you can save it and restore it later for further modification. Many DJs also use the Automix window to add ideas for tunes to play later and/or add requests. It can also be set to remove songs as they are played, very handy if provided with a playlist at a wedding. You can also remove duplicates from the list.

IMHO the Automix window is one of the most useful features of the interface, you don't have to use it in Automix mode. Explore, experiment.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 4:18 pm
DJ Skylite wrote :
It would help if you were using the latest version of the software v8.5 b6606 nothing more to say.

Are you saying the latest version of VDJ has a heads up playlist length displayed in the main browser window? If so I'll upgrade right now!

If not please save your comment. All I'm seeing is people making excuses for poor design imho. I love VDJ and have advocated this software in forums across the web but I'll never defend a shortcoming especially something as simple to add/update/implement as this. I still have not heard a good reason NOT to have that information displayed right there in the main browser window. No hideaway, no workarounds, no extra steps, no "use the latest version that still doesn't achieve what you're looking for."

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 4:49 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
gabrieldiggs wrote :
Projected set length time is fundamental right up there with track length in terms of planning out sets and general gig preparation.

But the Automix pane is where most DJs assemble their setlists for general gig preparation. It automatically calculates the overall time and you can save it and restore it later for further modification. Many DJs also use the Automix window to add ideas for tunes to play later and/or add requests. It can also be set to remove songs as they are played, very handy if provided with a playlist at a wedding. You can also remove duplicates from the list.

IMHO the Automix window is one of the most useful features of the interface, you don't have to use it in Automix mode. Explore, experiment.

I agree with you that the Automix window is incredible and useful but I disagree that it should substitute for having a useful bit of information like selected playlist length displayed right there in the main browser window. I've experimented, explored and recorded mixes and played sets that never would have been possible with another piece of DJ software but I still think the VDJ devs should go further and implement what is a simple functional and convenient feature and put that set length right there in the main browser window. There's plenty of space there in the bar next to the search box and they're already halfway there listing the number of files in the playlist. As it is the fact that they added a pop up in the main browser window to show playlist length kind of proves my point that it is a useful feature to have that information at the ready. I say go all the way and just provide it there without the need for a hover or pop up.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 4:55 pm
I am using V 8.5-64 b6609. If I hover my cursor over the number of files, the total time is displayed. Is that simple enough?

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 5:01 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
I am using V 8.5-64 b6609. If I hover my cursor over the number of files, the total time is displayed. Is that simple enough?

Did you read my previous comments? My argument is that playlist time is such a useful and fundamental bit of information that I'd prefer the devs skip the hover and pop up tooltip and just print it plain as day in the browser window. If DJ's find that distracting just add a feature to turn it off or better yet create a VDJ script and allow DJ's to decide for themselves where to place it in the skin. I have hover tooltips turned off because I find them distracting as I navigate around the GUI during my live sets and at home prep. Most DJ's who have Tooltips turned off probably have no idea that new playlist time feature was added!

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 5:06 pm
Well you can argue all day but 99% of us are happy as is.

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 5:19 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Well you can argue all day but 99% of us are happy as is.

It does not matter if 99.9% of the DJ's on planet earth are happy and where do you get those metrics anyway? Imho VDJ is all about breaking barriers, pushing boundaries and giving the user as much customization and features as they need and even features they didn't realize they needed. You're talking about the status quo, don't rock the boat, accept everything as it is given, go with the herd. That's not what I'm about. And I would argue that's not what Atomix is about and that's not why I use this software. Why even make a useless comment like that? Is that what the forums are for because we're all perfectly happy with VDJ as it is and here to sing the devs praises? As I said I've championed this software across the web but I'm also not afraid to ask for more and push further when I feel it can aid my convenience and my craft. Hopefully the devs are listening in and will bring this simple feature to a future build of VDJ.😁

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 6:59 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
not sure 99% of us are always happy, but 100% have to deal with what is available

Sometimes extra feature can make life easier and 99% will adopt it and make them happiest
i.e.: I'm pretty sure 99% karaoke DJ would prefer to be able to load their karaoke playlist in sideview karaoke list, not only in automix or sidelist ^^

Total duration is computed, it appears in automix; why not for other playlists ? why not usable in scripts ?
Partial (selected tracks) duration is computed too, it appears both in tooltip (with missing localization) and in tag editor; why not to make it available either?

Maybe Automix page is one of the most useful features of the interface. This is a simple playlist.
There is no reason to introduce limitation for other playlists (all lists could use the same base playlist handling)

Posté Tue 24 Aug 21 @ 7:00 pm
95%