Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Where should music folders be in relation to VDJ? (windows)
I haven't been able to find this topic addressed anywhere. I'm wondering where music folders should be ideally on my computer drive for best results with VDJ. I don't know where on my main drive the actual VDJ program resides, but wherever that is, I want the least problematic path to my music.

My music folder and subfolders are currently in my desktop subfolder. but I suspect this may have caused problems with browsing/searching music. Anyway, in a nutshell, what I want to know is, should my root music folder be directly under 'C:\'? For example, "C:\music\ (etc.)

Posté Wed 29 Dec 21 @ 9:47 am
It really doesn't matter at all.

I used to create a separate partition for my music but that was 20 years ago.

Only thing I would advise is to avoid folders with very large amounts of files, otherwise Windows and the speed of machines nowadays won't have an issue. Even external drives / SSD are plenty quick enough.

Posté Wed 29 Dec 21 @ 9:49 am
For practical reasons (such as syncing media files between different systems, or migrating easily to a new system) I would advise you to AVOID the Windows "special" folders like "Desktop", "Music", "Documents", "Downloads", "Videos" e.t.c.

If you want everything to be as simple as it can be, then yes create a "Main" folder on your C:\ drive (Like C:\Music) and then organize everything inside that folder.

This way, moving to a new system, or syncing multiple windows machines (e.g. your main and backup laptop) are extremely easy tasks to do.

Posté Wed 29 Dec 21 @ 12:26 pm
Thanks for the replies, guys. 👍 I'll apply those recommendations on my laptop. FWIW, I don't deejay professionally anymore -- haven't since even before I sold my turntables and all my vinyl more than ten years ago. I just can't bring myself to close the book, so I replicated everything as MP3s, bought the "infinity" VDJ license and I stay as prepared as if I might have a crowd on the floor this very night, even though I'm only playing for my entertainment.

Posté Mon 03 Jan 22 @ 8:21 pm