Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Time difference between VDJ and NDX500
Hi
I have 2 Numark NDX500 and the track's time on those does not reflect rhe one in VDJ. Is there anyone who knows why and how to fix it?
Thanks

Posté Tue 18 Apr 23 @ 10:43 am
Several controllers require the time to be sent in "absolute" terms.
This means that changing pitch/tempo will not alter the time information that's being sent on them.
On the other hand, the time display in VirtualDJ GUI is always adjusted by tempo so that it shows the "real" time a track will run.

That's why sometimes time differences exist.

Posté Tue 18 Apr 23 @ 1:00 pm
I made a test on 2 devices playing several tracks with CDJ2000NXS2 and NDX500. The former always shows the same time with VDJ vs the NDX that always has a huge difference. I would assume that there is something wrong with NDX or a great feature with the CDJ

Posté Tue 18 Apr 23 @ 2:08 pm
When pitch/tempo is set at 0 (no change / original tempo) do you still get a time difference in the display ?

I don't have access to a NDX500 and it's a quite old unit to be able to find one around. So we will need some more information about your issue.

Posté Tue 18 Apr 23 @ 7:02 pm
The issue is that NDX always shows the original track time and it does update when I change tempo of the track on VDJ. It does not happen with the CDJ though

Posté Wed 19 Apr 23 @ 8:07 am
You know that you can press the "TIME" button to toggle between elapsed/remain time display, right ?
(From what you're saying I get that display is stuck in showing the total length of the track, and of course that can be changed by the TIME button)

Posté Wed 19 Apr 23 @ 8:11 am
The total length is wrong when I changed the tempo on VDJ

Posté Wed 19 Apr 23 @ 2:16 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I just connected a NDX500 to VirtualDJ.
The time displayed on the LCD of the NDX500 is correct. But as written in previous posts, the device firmware requires Absolute Times, which means the Time displayed will not be changed when Tempo is changed.
So if the Tempo/Pitch is at center (original BPM), both VirtualDJ skin and NDX 500 will show the same Time.
But if not, then those values will not match.
If that is not the case for you, please provide example (Track) and/or pictures/screenshots of what you get.

You could try to remove the 'absolute' parameter from DIGIT_MIN, DIGIT_SEC and DIGIT_FRAME keys of Mapping to get the relative time values, but this could cause some glitch on the LCD functionality (device too old to recall what and why - sorry)

Posté Wed 19 Apr 23 @ 2:30 pm
That's exactly the issue I posted. I wrote that when I change the tempo, the ndx still show the original time vs cdj which showns the updated one always in sync with VDJ

Posté Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 7:16 am
As I said, some controllers/units require the absolute time to be sent.
This means that when tempo is not at 0, instead of changing the shown time, VirtualDJ just sends faster/slower the elapsed time.
These units that require absolute time usually use the elapsed time as a sort of means to know the progress of the track (e.g. how much % has been played). For these units it doesn't matter if a "second" of audio was played in 0.5 seconds or 2 seconds. It only matters that the track progressed "by one second" (at nominal speed). In other words, they convert time to distance.

Unfortunately for units that require "absolute" times to be send, we cannot do anything to change that. Usually other things brake if we send "true" times.
And TBH, CDJ2000NXS2 also uses "absolute" times in it's default mapper.
In fact CDJ2000NXS2 requires "absolute" times for too many things to work properly (jog needle, progress bar, placement of hotcues on the waveforms, slip pos, loop pos e.t.c.)
If you change time from "absolute" to "true" it's quite easy to brake all of the above on a CDJ2000NXS2

Posté Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 10:38 am
Thank you so much

Posté Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 7:05 pm