Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet XDJ-RX2 'loses' MIDI control while playing - Page: 1
Hi all,

I've searched through a ton of posts, but so far I've not been able to find anything recent related to my issue. I'm currently trying to use a Pioneer XDJ-RX2 in combination with Virtual DJ (both on their latest firmware/build), and it's presenting some 'quirks'. There's some minor things (like a high, screeching noise for a couple seconds when opening the VDJ menu/settings for the first time) but for the most part it's functional. The one major issue I face however is that after a while the RX2 will simply stop working in MIDI mode. VDJ will still be playing, and is fully functional. but none of the buttons or faders on the controller (that are mapped in VDJ) will do anything. If you click a button in VDJ however (for instance the headphone cue button), it WILL change the light/status on the controller. So all the output from VDJ to the controller works fine, but all the input from the controller to VDJ is borked. This can happen after a couple of minutes, or after a couple of hours, without any warning. I can never be sure WHEN it'll happen, only THAT it'll happen.

Although I've found a workaround -simply switch to a backup USB drive in the RX2, play a song from there and in the meantime pull out the USB cable and reconnect it- this is incredibly annoying, tedious and can lead to really messed up mixes. If it happens at a time when I'm already mixing two tracks for example, I'll have to use the mouse/touchpad on my laptop to try and fade out the outro track without it sounding too lame.

I don't really know what to do here, since I don't really have the hardware to test out all options (second laptop, second controller, etc.) Has anyone ever had the same (sort of) issue? Any ideas/suggestions I could look into? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Posté Sat 15 Jul 23 @ 7:23 pm
Since it seems the connections gets lost/interrupted, the first thing to try is probably a new USB cable

Posté Sun 16 Jul 23 @ 6:40 am
What happens if you press "Apply" in the audio config instead of pulling the USB cable ?

Posté Sun 16 Jul 23 @ 4:06 pm
I have this issue too with the DDJ 1000. Like you said it can be very annoying whilst in the mix.

I have also had occasion where you are playing, the audio completely cuts, the software registers as playing in VDJ. the the audio comes back at a much lower volume.

This happpend rarely before but since the last update it is getting more regular. Last night whilst trying to record, 30 mins in...... Today 15 mins in.....

Posté Sun 16 Jul 23 @ 6:27 pm
First off, thanks for the answers so far!

klausmogensen wrote :
Since it seems the connections gets lost/interrupted, the first thing to try is probably a new USB cable

I've tried numerous different cables, in different ports, the result is always the same.

Mobile Zombie wrote :
What happens if you press "Apply" in the audio config instead of pulling the USB cable ?

Nothing happens, I can switch audio settings, press apply and best case scenario nothing changes, worst case scenario VDJ crashes.

Posté Sun 16 Jul 23 @ 9:17 pm
I am going to do a test today.

I built a new PC last year (intel 12900k). I went the whole hog with RGB and as a result had to plug in four icue controllers and one icue commander pro to the USB by splitting the internal headers (They are powered by sata) I also have the PC headset dongle, Keyboard, mouse dongle, 2 cameras. I have unplugged all the internal USB (icue hardare will remember the setting). I am going to try and eliminate as much USB traffic as I can from the system.

I also will order a pro cable (usb-c to b) at the end of the month. (need a new one anyways)

Posté Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 7:09 pm
Test Failed.
14 mins and it happened. lost Audio, then controller, white lines on jog wheels, then every came back out of sync. just editing the video and will add it to this thread

Posté Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 8:15 pm

Posté Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 9:29 pm
EdsEvilTwin wrote :
Video here.... looks like the same issue. I do not have the option to use a USB drive like the RX2, so everything dies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufAgbDhdog

That's not the same issue I'm afraid. I currently have no way to record myself, but with you the audio cuts out and then seems to be lagging/buffering for some reason. As after a while the sound comes back again. Unless I'm interpreting the video wrong?

My issue however is manyfold by this point. The original problem was that the controller would stop sending input to VDJ (but would still receive output from the laptop). So, the music was fine and would continue playing, I just couldn't use the controller to affect it in any way. It seems the soundcard of the RX2 was running just fine, just the MIDI side of things didn't.

Unfortunately I've come across some new issues now as well. I tried hooking up the RX2 to my PC instead of my laptop, and that led to an eventual ASIO buffer overflow for whatever reason. Meaning that the sound got garbled and messed up. I then switched back to my laptop but tried using Rekordbox 6 instead and then after a while I DID have a similar problem to you, i.e. the controller and laptop were both working fine, but the audio just died. I have 0 expertise when it comes to these types of devices, but it looks more and more like the RX2 my friend lent me has some issues. I hope I can get my hands on another stand alone system at some point and see if that'll work as intended or not.

Posté Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 10:04 pm
On this occasion it came back, usually it does not. If you look at the controller you will see the jog wheels drop to solid white bars, nothing responds, then it came back. I have other examples where it just stops working and I have to unplug the usb or reset the controller. my software still shows as playing but the audio from the ddj is not.

Posté Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 10:35 pm
EdsEvilTwin wrote :
my software still shows as playing but the audio from the ddj is not.

Like I said: that's different from my main problem. For me the music keeps playing like it should, and I can even stop or start new tracks in VDJ. I just can't use the buttons on the controller anymore as those are completely locked up.

Posté Mon 17 Jul 23 @ 10:57 pm
The difference between the 2 situations is if you only loose only the midi or both the midi and the soundcard
In both cases the problem is most likely outside of VDJ, since VDJ doesn't handle any of the connection stuff. That is up to the operating system, drivers and underlying hardware. VDJ simply sits on top of all of that
If it's a hardware issue (like port or cable) it will most likely get worse over time, until it's fixed
It's unlikely that it's related to a VDJ update

Posté Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 5:28 am
Why not try another program to see if the failures will happen regardless of software

Posté Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 5:22 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
The difference between the 2 situations is if you only loose only the midi or both the midi and the soundcard
In both cases the problem is most likely outside of VDJ, since VDJ doesn't handle any of the connection stuff. That is up to the operating system, drivers and underlying hardware. VDJ simply sits on top of all of that
If it's a hardware issue (like port or cable) it will most likely get worse over time, until it's fixed
It's unlikely that it's related to a VDJ update

what is being failed to grasp here is that I have the exact same issues as the OP as I said above , however there are other presentations (the one I recorded was such). The usual is the the controller stops responding but the VDJ keeps playing and is fully functional. It has only started recently (A couple of updates ago). works fine in rekordbox and mixx. Have tried 7 different cables (5 new and sealed), each of the 10 usb ports on the system. Windows has been re-intstalled, various bios usb config options. My next option is to switch the USB in on the DDJ to the second input to eliminate the first USB.

Posté Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 8:51 pm
Mobile Zombie wrote :
Why not try another program to see if the failures will happen regardless of software

I have, and the problem happens in Rekordbox too.

klausmogensen wrote :
The difference between the 2 situations is if you only loose only the midi or both the midi and the soundcard...

I've never lost both at the same time, but from time to time I WILL lose the soundcard. So the controller will still be functional, it just won't output any ASIO sound. (music from a USB drive on the RX2 itself will still play as normal)
klausmogensen wrote :
...It's unlikely that it's related to a VDJ update

I completely agree. It is not a problem I have solely with VDJ, hence why I also contacted Pioneer directly about it. I'm just looking for people who might have (had) similar issues that have found a definitive solution (whether it be something trivial, like a setting being 'wrong' somewhere, or having the device serviced in the worst case).

Posté Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 9:18 am
Have you went through the process of checking what USB drivers you have and tried to see of there are updated?

BiOS updates?

Sorry if this already was covered in the thread

Posté Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 9:29 am
Mobile Zombie wrote :
Have you went through the process of checking what USB drivers you have and tried to see of there are updated?

BiOS updates?

Sorry if this already was covered in the thread

Apologies if this was unclear. I have the issues both on my laptop and my PC, and both are completely up to date with any kinds up drivers, software and BIOS/UEFI, as well as the firmware on the RX2 being updated to the latest.

Posté Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 4:17 pm
Could be a hardware fault with the controller then.

Posté Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 4:25 pm
Fixed the issues I was having. The Bluetooth mouse controller polling was causing a lot of data traffic. moved the DDJ to the USB-C (adapter on original cable) no errors. will monitor and let you know if it fails again. Tonight 2 hours no issues.

Posté Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 10:00 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Could be a hardware fault with the controller then.

Yes, it seems the controller itself is the common denominator then

Posté Thu 20 Jul 23 @ 8:20 pm
95%