Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet One directory cannot be added to the search DB
There is one directory on one of my hard drives which refuses to load into the database. I right click the directory in question and select "Batch>Add to search DB" in the usual manner, but it doesn't respond.

I have two drives, each with the same music and karaoke collection. It's just the one directory on one of the drives which is giving me the problem. That same directory is fine on the other drive and has been successfully added to the database.

What could be wrong?

I wondered if it had anything to do with File Permissions, so I made sure that Full Access was selected, although I don't think this has anything to do with it. It made no difference anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 12:03 am
All I can suggest without knowing more about your mysterious no name directory with unknown contents, is to delete it (and the contents), then replace it with the copy from the working drive.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 9:57 am
Hi GROOVINDJ.

This was my intention, but I cannot understand why VirtualDJ is able to ignore a directory? I would like to know in case it happens again. There may be an easy fix.

This directory contains video and karaoke/cdj files. It's not the only directory of this kind on the drives. All the others have been added successfully.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 10:12 am
It gets worse!

So I copied the 'good' directory from one drive to the other. Same problem - Virtual DJ still cannot add it to the search DB. It's as if it cannot see that directory. There's nothing out of place with the directory name. i.e. no 'special' characters in the name, etc. I just don't get it.

I checked the drive for errors beforehand too.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 11:41 am
could the file path be too long?

i think the limit is 255 characters on windows anyway no clue about Mac

example file path -> c:/music/album name/artist - title.mp3

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 12:00 pm
Hi WICKEDMIX.

It's only one under the root directory and a short name too, so not too long. Thanks anyway.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 12:18 pm
OK. This is getting weirder.

I took the drive with the directory which cannot be added and connected it to anther machine which also has VirtualDJ installed on it. A different version though. It was as if the directory had already been added to the search DB as everything was suddenly searchable within that directory.

I cannot even begin to work out what's going on, but my life is full of weird stuff like this. Things which make no sense. I demonstrate these things to other people and they also scratch their heads in total disbelief as to how my world can be so full of these bizarre anomalies. This one is pretty straight-forward in the scheme of things.

Anyway, I don't think this one can be taken any further. I'll just file it under "one of those things", with the other weird anomalies.

Thanks again folks for your help.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 1:02 pm
You say there are video and karaoke files in the directory. Are you sure that the browser options to view video files and karaoke file are enabled on all computers?

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 1:33 pm
Yes, they are.

I presume you are referring to the SHOW MUSIC FILES, SHOW VIDEO FILES, SHOW KARAOKE FILES tabs in the left margin. In which case, Yes. I enable each one accordingly.

BUT ... I just noticed something weirder still - and I guess this might go some way to explaining the anomaly. When searching for video and karaoke files, I select only the SHOW VIDEO FILES and SHOW KARAOKE FILES tabs. I would usually have the SHOW MUSIC FILES tab disabled in order to limit the search strictly to karaoke files. However, I just noticed that, if I enable the SHOW MUSIC FILES tab, the karaoke files from the folder I have been having problems with, suddenly appear! This in spite of the fact that I have not seen these files being added to the database.

I have seen this sort of thing happen before where the wrong file type has appeared in a search. i.e. it shouldn't have appeared because the appropriate SHOW tab had not been selected.

I hope I am still making sense.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 3:16 pm
Karaoke files are normally classed as video files rather than audio.

What is the file extension, how are they encoded?

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 3:31 pm
They are a mixture of cdg/mp3 with mp4 for the video. The thing is, they have all, always been 'found' before now.

Posté Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 3:38 pm