Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Sound is muffled when first turning stems down - Page: 1
GSloatPRO InfinityMember since 2019
I have a 4 channel controller with the outer channel EQ knobs mapped to Rhythm, Instrumentals, and Vocals. My stems are all prepared. When I start turning down the volume of a stem, just at the very beginning, like from 12:00 to 11:00, all of the output sounds muffled. Like if I'm turning down the instruments, the vocals and rhythm and instrumentals are all muffled, like everything is underwater. But once I turn down lower than about 11:00, then everything sounds clear again. Same thing if I'm going from 12:00 to 13:00. When listening to a few other DJs here who also use Virtual DJ, I hear the same thing happening.

Do other people notice this? Why does it happen, and how can I avoid it?

Posté Thu 05 Sep 24 @ 10:28 am
Is there any additional info about the files, that you can share, ... that you experience the muffled effect with?

MP3 ?
Flac ?

were they processed with Platinum Notes ? (which version)

streamed tracks ? (Guess not since you mention prepared stems)

Is it EVERY track, or just some ?

anything else that you are aware of that make these tracks different?

what version of VDJ are you using, and how long have you noticed this?

Maybe the Devs would be interested in examining one of the tracks,
(if still an issue after further examination)

------------------

I ask since.... when noticed, it was track dependent, (and have replaced & deleted, those tracks)
think there were 2 tracks
(suspect could be platinum notes causing issue, but didn't investigate fully)

the muffle effect was during the first 7%, of the movement away from the 50% (off), (maybe like bit of low pass filter).
The muffle seemed greatest at a 3-4%, away from 50% (at 47% & 53%), and is gone, no muffle, by 8%. (at 42% & 58%) on the EQs.
(also no muffle at 50%)

Note:
1) used Pro skin no controller

2) created an 8 beat loop, for musical consistency to listen (using stems 2.0, w EZRemix).

3) created custom buttons with, button "name"s of:
`eq_low`
`eq_mid`
`eq_high`
to be used to show the actual values of skin's, Stems knobs positions.

currently
Win 10

Posté Thu 05 Sep 24 @ 3:27 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
Guess not since you mention prepared stems

Actually, stems can be saved from cached streamed tracks (certainly from Tidal anyway). They're encrypted.

Posté Thu 05 Sep 24 @ 3:36 pm
GSloatPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Thanks for the detailed response.

-All of my files are 320kbps MP3s.

-Platinum Notes- that's a good question- I did process a lot of them a few years ago with Platinum Notes but I haven't done anymore since then. Most of the files I am testing with must not have been processed with Platinum Notes.

-all mp3s, no streamed files. Since you mentioned that, I tried a bunch of tracks streaming through Tidal, and those do *not* have this issue. So my mp3s have it, but not streamed tracks.

-VIrtual DJ version v2024 b8280. I may have just missed it before, but I only noticed it within the last month or so. I usually update as soon as there is a new version.

-Your experience, IIDEEJAYII, sounds exactly like mine as far as the range and what the effect sounds like, a bit like a low pass filter.

So it seems like this issue is specifically with my MP3s.

Posté Thu 05 Sep 24 @ 5:07 pm
I have this same problem as well on my Denon Prime 4. Noticed it last month being an issue and have been trying to figure out a solution since.

This happens on both 320 MP3s, FLAC, WAVs (I have all 3 of those types) with prepared stems and no saved stems. I've tried deleting the stems, redoing the separation and saving, comparing an unprepped track to prepped track, the issue persists.

Posté Thu 05 Sep 24 @ 10:16 pm
Appears not to be a controller issue.. since it happens without a controller,
and also not related to the prepared stems..
but is somehow something to do with the individual track..

Never explored the issue further, just deleted/replaced those tracks .. and didn't report since it seemed not a VDJ issue .. but a track issue. (as was only on 2 tracks)

And you are implying that it occurs on every track ?

If any processing was done, does the original track also have the issue?

Posté Fri 06 Sep 24 @ 1:18 am
Yes, it occurs on every track for me. No external processing done to the tracks besides using stems 2.0 to save stems.

I'll try replacing a track and see if it fixes it at all....if it does for some reason? Thats an entire music library worth to try to delete and replace.

Posté Fri 06 Sep 24 @ 2:03 am
If its the entire music library.. and its a common issue, then maybe others need to weigh in this..

If widespread . then maybe devs need to get, a sample track, to examine.
Maybe a tweak is needed somewhere.

Should not need to replace the entire library.

PS
its not the saved stems that is the issue.. since, for a track with the issue.. deleting the saved stems and computing the stems live, also has the described muffle.

Posté Fri 06 Sep 24 @ 3:51 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Can you make a recording where the issue can be heard?

Posté Fri 06 Sep 24 @ 3:59 am
Adion wrote :
Can you make a recording where the issue can be heard?

Most definitely can do, won't be tomorrow, but can do it the day after (Saturday PDT timezone for me)

Posté Fri 06 Sep 24 @ 4:48 am

Posté Sat 07 Sep 24 @ 5:33 pm
Can you try to remove the prepared stem and prepare it again?

Posté Sun 08 Sep 24 @ 9:03 am
IIDEEJAYII wrote :

PS
its not the saved stems that is the issue.. since, for a track with the issue.. deleting the saved stems and computing the stems live, also has the described muffle.

FYI: was my experience
(both live, and recomputing them with the "Save prepared stems" R-click menu)

Posté Sun 08 Sep 24 @ 11:27 am
The track in the video does have stems saved though. I tried with the same song but from Tidal and no issues either.
Could you send the original mp3 perhaps?

Posté Sun 08 Sep 24 @ 12:10 pm
Adion wrote :
Can you try to remove the prepared stem and prepare it again?

That stem was prepared right before I recorded it. I just picked a song that would give a good representation of the ISO "Modern EQ"s distortion/muffle. It quite literally affects any song, deleting and preparing new stems doesn't have any effect.

Posté Mon 09 Sep 24 @ 2:11 am
And if you don't use precomputed stems?

Posté Mon 09 Sep 24 @ 6:50 am
Then Modern EQ/ISO EQs (Kick, melody/vocal, hihat) aren't available to use.

Posté Mon 09 Sep 24 @ 4:58 pm
If that's the case then either your computer isn't up to the job of separating stems on the fly, or you've got that option disabled.

Posté Mon 09 Sep 24 @ 5:11 pm
groovindj wrote :
If that's the case then either your computer isn't up to the job of separating stems on the fly, or you've got that option disabled.

It was the latter, because I was just messing with the settings, as I interpreted Adion's question wrong. When I delete all pre-computed stems, and do them on the fly then it works like it is suppose to work. However, it only works for that time that track is currently loaded, say if I unload the track and reload it with the now saved stem, issue comes back. It also returns after about a minute after it saves the stems while the track is playing.
So that narrows it down to happening when it saves the stem file.

I normally have all stems prepared, so its not constantly computing stems on all four decks on the fly as I am not just running Virtual DJ while I play a set, I also have my visuals and because I do a lot of VR sets, all my VR stuff is running. Thus I prefer to have the stems prepared and ready to go at any time.

PC spec wise:
Nvidia RTX 3090
AMD 5950x
DDR4 32gb 3600mhz
4TB HDD (1.59TB of Music stored here)
3x 1TB M.2 SSDs

Posté Mon 09 Sep 24 @ 5:40 pm
With an RTX 3090 it shouldn't really be necessary though to save the prepared stems?

Posté Mon 09 Sep 24 @ 5:58 pm
61%