Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Structure in the browser

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I work at a pretty big company, MS Rentals. (Check my blog to see what we do!)

We are about to switch to DJing with PC's. I just did a demo for my boss to show what Virtual DJ can do. He was pretty impressed and he was even so impressed that Virtual DJ might even win over PCDJ.

The only problem was that the structure in the browser wasen't perfect (and my boss is a perfectionist). He said he'll be convinced if two more things will be intigrated.

He wanted to add more than one comment (add more renamable columns), so he could sort out data by two (or three) seperate parameters. (like: i want a dance song from the 90's - sorted on BPM)
Second thing is that the search function was too limited. If you want a dance song from the 80 or 90, you can't do that. You can search a dance song from the 80's OR a dance song from the 90's but you cant search a dance song from the 80's or the 90's... Get what i'm saying? (i know its quite complicated :P)

If you need more explanation just ask it, i'll make a longer description :P

Posté Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 6:06 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
VanStino --
It's all in how you organize things in my opinion. I think the big difference and what your boss is desribing is use of ID3 tags. PCDJ is very heavy in this area and one of it's biggest drawbacks is their recordcase. With VDJ, yes there are limits and very little support to ID3 tags, but because of that it is the MOST responsive and best performing. Where you overcome the difference is how you organize your data and use the 1 comment field to your advantage. I have seen people us a code scheme in the comment field so they can best find what they want.

Also, please note that you don't have to solely use VirtualDJ's recordcase. There are several applications that provide media management and you can drag from those applications into / direct onto the VirtualDJ decks. Not all applications do this, but there are many I have tried that do.

I think given the pros / cons and some creative thinking you can convince your boss that VDJ is the right choice and the right direction.

cstoll

Posté Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 6:34 pm
Yeah well can't there be a small addition that enables you to add different comment fields (as much as you would like)? This would really help sorting the thousands and thousands of songs. We don't really use ID3, if we just had more comment fields we can sort them on more different ways

Posté Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 6:40 pm
I agree that maybe that would be a revolutionary addition. You have definitely made your request in the right place. I will pass up to the VIP level as well.

Posté Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 6:59 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
sounds great

good thinking folks :)

Posté Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 7:26 pm
Yeah it was the only remark i got: If you could have like... 5 comment fields, you could search on style and sort on year or on key or something. Besides that, VDJ is perfect :)

Posté Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 10:20 am
I have posted it to the VIP crowd and have gotten a favorable response. However, that doesn't mean anything as to the next release. But it's a great start and we will just have to see what happens.

Posté Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 7:16 pm
BUMP!

Maybe another thing i just came up with. If i have two songs with comment fields like this:

1: Dance ; Trance ; Techno
2: Dance ; Techno

And i type in the search bar: Dance ; Techno. Is it possible to find both of these songs? Or is it not possible? Should i type this all the time?

* Dance * Techno * (with the * between every word?)

Is there some kind of special seperator between words?

Thx ;)

VanStino

Posté Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 11:07 pm

Posté Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 3:26 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)