Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Auto backup of XML

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hello gang,

I have noticed that I am not the only person who has issues with the XML file becoming corrupt. Since I cant do anything about that, I can create an application to make sure that backups are created automatically.

So tonight when I get home I'm gonna write a quick little application that when started will 1) Make a backup of the XML file (as "CurrentName-Date.Time.xml") and then 2) start VDJ

Doing this will allow me to use this app to start VDJ and not have to worry (too much) about if I have backed up the file.

The reason I'm posting is to ask if there are any requests for this tiny piece of software?
When completed I will post the app and the source code here in case anyone else wants it. (It will be written in VB.NET 2005)

Peace,
James Rose
New York City

Posté Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 10:11 pm

Sounds like a cool tool ;) bet it will be popular...

better safe than sorry ;)

Posté Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 10:15 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
good idea ;)

would be nice if the development team could incorporate a backup system in future realeases also.

Posté Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 11:12 pm
Ok peoples,

That didnt take me long. The application is done. It's uploade to the TOOLS section.

Or email me at jameswjrose@hotmail.com and I will send you a zip file of the application and source code (in case you want it, or at least want to review it)

There are two files required for running the application:
1) Auto-VDJ.exe
2) Auto-VDJ.pdb

The third file (VDJ.vb) is the source code.

Copy both of these files to your VirtualDJ folder.
Simpy use Auto-VDJ.exe as your starting point and it will make a backup and then start VirtualDJ

If there are other features that you want, let me know.

And yes I agree that this functionality should be included with the next upgrade (hint hint guys)

Since this was written in Visual Basic.NET 2005 if there is an issue you will need to download the MS .NET Frameworks 2.0. This can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Posté Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 11:35 pm

Posté Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 11:39 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i think he did mate :)

Posté Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 11:50 pm

Posté Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 12:31 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This is funny - my Corrupt Database repair tool already had this option and features.
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/download.html?addon_id=2560

But I guess more than one is OK.

edit - glad to see the great job on this tool - but I get the Atomix can't be responsible disclaimer on mine. But it's all good - by the way my tool will attempt to repair the XML if found to be corrupt before launching VDJ. Also, it validates the XML upon closing VDJ, just incase you get those hang ups at the closing of VDJ.

cheers.
cstoll

Posté Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 8:57 am
CS,

Your app can repair the db? Very cool! I'm curious what formating you did to acomplish this... but then again I'm curious to what VDJ considers corrupt. But in any case CS, feel free to take my source and include it in yours or whatever. I didnt even know there was another tool, but then I really didnt look. (Which I will tonight)

Peace,
James

Posté Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 4:23 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No problems. Actual my tool uses vbs code and compiles down to an exe.
It's a nice like scripting tool I have that make doing quick and dirty things easy with having to jump into the full app dev tool environment like a C++, C# or VB world.

Download and read the readme.
Just a synopsis that's not in the readme.
99% of the Corrupt database problems is that VDJ was not able to finish writing the XML properly. And 1 artifact is left in the file and 1 key tag is missing. So my tool looks for the missing tag in the file, if it is missing the db is corrupt. So then I look for the last clean entry of the last track written to the db. I remove all dead and malformed xml then write the closing VDJ db tag. Now the db is repaired.

There are several other things that go one beyond this but that is the 5 sec explanation of what it is doing.

cstoll

Posté Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 4:50 pm
In my opinion a little overdone to create this small application using vb.net. You will need the complete 1.1 or 2.0 framework on your machine.

It could also been done with a vbs as cstoll said or with a simple .cmd (Windows command file) file, which I use for some years now and is only some kb's in size. If anyone would like to have the source please let me know
Ewout

Posté Sat 23 Dec 06 @ 5:25 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)