Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Problem with ext. mixer - sound output one channel

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi,

This is killing me...I can't figure out what's wrong! I need your help.

I do gigs every week to this pub and they use an external mixer Numark 1720 (4 faders) with assignable crossfader. The first two faders are assigned to two denon cd decks. So far, so good. I use a VDJ on a laptop with an external sound card Audigy 2 NX (7.1), where the front and rear output goes to line-in (fader) 3 and 4 respectively. Here is the problem. The sound goes out only in one channel. When I pan the mixer`s fader to right - no sound at all, only in the left channel.

First I thought that problem would be with my RCA cable or even with my sound card. However, I use a Numark DM3002X mixer at home with the same settings and everything is fine.

Now listen to this, when I pre-listen the song in the mixer's cue at the pub, I can hear both channels (I know this because some songs have like the guitar in one channel and the drum on the other channel - like the beatles), but still no two channels in the pub speakers.

I've tried to plug my sound card to the CD deck's faders, thinking that line in 3 and 4, might be broken, but no same results.

By the way, when I play a cd in the either decks I can hear both channel and if I select on the mixer the sound to be "mono" as opposed to "stereo", I can hear both channels with VDJ, but with lesser quality of course.

The only test remaining is to try playing music through winamp to test if the problem is not with VDJ, but I still don't understant why It would work on my own mixer and not the Pub's.

I'm out of ideas :-( I guess that It could be that the mixer is broken, although It was purchased last year.

Any suggestions? - thanks in advance

DJ Acadien

Posté Wed 15 Sep 04 @ 2:58 pm
is the MASTER at mixer set to mono play?

In that case, the mixer might just "listen" to ONE "side" of the stereo inputs for each channel (mono)... u can still hear stereo in cue with headset, but if the master is set to mono-play, the pan fader will often only have sound at one side (mono)...

(mixers are VERY often set to mono at clubs, and it's VERY often the best setting for a club! stereo sound does not sound good often, depending on placement of speakers, room size etc)

not sure if i understood u 100% correct... so if this is NOT the issue, ignore my reply ;) lol

Posté Wed 15 Sep 04 @ 3:55 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi

"When I pan the mixer`s fader to right - no sound at all, only in the left channel".

did you try: swaping cables, or putting the sound output from the working channel into the right channel?.

It sounds like your doing everything right, but in respect it's what you haven't said that probably contains the missing link..., either that or i'd think their is something wrong with the mixer, either it's not working fully (unlikely) or there's something your not quite doing properly to get the desired result..., having looked at the numark mixer, it looks really quite straight forward, 4 stereo channels, assignable to crossfader, 10 inputs, I can't understand why their should be a problem..

All you can do is keep playing around with it and trying new things...

It's really hard to comment on these cases as i'm not in your shoes, and I understand it's really horrible when your having such technical difficulty...

Regards.:)

Posté Wed 15 Sep 04 @ 4:10 pm
djlarsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
* Scrolled down the sound setup in vdj?
Selected 1 x 4.1 card + external mixer?
Selected 1 x 4.1 card + 7.1 mode + external mixer?
*have been there myself*

"Channel" are confusing, guess you mean "DeckA" and "DeckB" TO channel 3 and 4.
DeckB output will/should go to rear - Many options here with the AudigyNX as it has center/sub and rear center/sub jacks too...
Think it was the green jack for DeckA, Black for DeckB - not blue, orange or ...

Also speaker setup in Audigy controlpanel is of great importance!

Make sure Audigy NX is default sound device in windows controlpanel, and matching speaker setup here also...

Good luck!

Posté Wed 15 Sep 04 @ 9:04 pm
Thanks for your concerns and inputs

FYI : the Master volume on the ext. mixer is set to stereo. I`ve tried switching the RCA plug from left to right, still doesn`t get the right channel. I`ve also tried all the VDJ options in the sound configuration (4.1 + ext mixer, etc). Keep in mind that I have an external mixer at home and it works fine.

I just wanted to know if anybody had experienced something like this before.

Anyway, like I said I'll do some more testing... and keep you posted next Sunday.

thank you

Posté Thu 16 Sep 04 @ 12:25 am
djlarsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sorry M8!

My intentions were good, but I got hung up in your rca's, channels, switching, pub setting etc. that I missed this little point :
"However, I use a Numark DM3002X mixer at home with the same settings and everything is fine."

And you still have :
If you swap the jacks in Audigy NX - no sound from deck B? (at pub only)
You are logged on as the same user (profile) at home+pub?
- if not, the Creative driver package may be user dependent for settings, preferences etc.

Should work at both sites regardless *blank*

Sincerely

/DjLars

Posté Thu 16 Sep 04 @ 8:37 am
oliwynnPRO InfinityMember since 2004
quality son!

Posté Thu 16 Sep 04 @ 8:40 pm
Acadien, have you listened to the Main Output in your headphones by turning the CUE mix control completely to monitor Output ? The other thing to note is if the CD decks still output on both channels when you are plugged into Line 3 & 4. If not, then there is some sort of bad impedance mismatch between your soundcard output and the Line IN of the mixer thats causing the mixer to go nuts.

Posté Sat 18 Sep 04 @ 9:24 pm
Ok, here is the deal...

I went on to check my mp3 player to the mixer and I got the same reslut. I also tried playing music through winamp and also got the one channel problem. Here's what confused me, when I first did the check, I thought that the CD decks didn`t have that problem, but they are also only producing sound in the left channel. So I've discussed the problem with the sound technician of the Pub and he told me that set up was in "mono" as opposed to "stereo". However, on the mixer the knob setting was to stereo as opposed to mono. Thus, I was only getting one channel. Finally, the solution was to set the mixer's knob to mono to solve the problem.

The other issue that I noticed, is the sound quality that my sound card was producing compare to the CD deck. We noticed that the CD sound was much clearer than my sound card, although that I'm using one of the best sound card on the market (Audigy 2 NX). I used the 32 band equalizer plug-in where I jacked up the treble and the sound improved significantly enough to similar to the CD deck's sound. I wonder if any of you ever noticed a sound quality diffrerence between the CD and your sound card?

Anyway, thanks to all users who helped me. I think that someone pointed out the mono vs stereo issue above, so thanks again.

Posté Sun 19 Sep 04 @ 5:09 pm
good to hear you solved the problem :) as I tried to say, many clubs/pubs have mono setup, and switching to mono will fit the system setup....

regarding your soundcard, I have the same, and crystal clear crispy sound... strange. I know there is a setting in control panel for what sample-rate the soundcard should use...Make sure it's set to high level.

Also, MP3's sould be at least 160kbps - I recommend 192kbps.. encoded in LAME or a good encoder! Anything else will loose dynamics, and crisp sounds! Even a bad encoder (like MusicMatch etc) will make really bad sound at high bitrate... I have heard such bad encoders many times make "flat" sound, and EQ can help a bit, but not giving the cd quality u want. So make sure u have GOOD encoder, at GOOD bitrate. Downloaded files from the net are often bad... try to find a new one ;)

dj in norway

Posté Mon 20 Sep 04 @ 12:26 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)