Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Amp – Speaker Question --- ADVISE NEEDED - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Ok … im a mobile DJ … and I already own the CREST AUDIO CPX SERIES CPX2600 AMPLIFIER … it puts out 500 WPC @ 8ohms 750WATTS@4ohms

My question is .. what are the best speakers to get in my price range(size range) … my range is $1000 for a pair… and I don’t want them to heavy or large.
Im thinking the Peavey IMPULSE 1015 Weather Resistant 15" 2-way speaker … they come in 8 ohm .. and 4 ohm… I was thinking the 4ohm.

Thanks for any help … im looking to purchase new speakers in the next week or two.

*edit*
I’m not sure were to post this question so im posting it twice … sorry.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 5:03 pm
I use Yamaha Club Series speakers ... The 15" are $329.99 Per Speaker (in US) .. They are great..
They are 500 WATTS RMS @ 8 Ohms (1,000 Peak)

They have 12" that are $299.99 EACH. They are 300 WATTS RMS @ 8 Ohms (600 Peak)

BECAREFUL THOUGH! Like other manufactorers, they have there cheap series... The Club Series have a V at the end of the model number. and the Cheap ones are the BR Series they have BR at the beginning of the model number.

I have the 15s, 12s, and 10s. Club (V) Series.

For Amps, I recommend the QSC PLX Series or Crown Power Base series

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 7:00 pm
I can recomend D.A.S. speakers or Makie, for me they are the best.

I use the Dynamic series DS-115A ( Power speakers ) they are great, a bit expensive but the sound is incredible. D.A.S. has passive speakers at diferent price range check up the webpage http://www.dasaudio.com/

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 7:39 pm
The most important part of any system is the audio signal. if your budget is $1000. I would spend part of that money to get a limiter. I recomend this beast. If you use this unit correctly you will never blow a speaker! I can walk u through pm if needed. Peaks is what kills speakers. If you don't have them u won't blow. Thus not needing to spend $1000 on a pair of speakers that can handle the peaks. Spend a 1/4 of that money & ensure you don't have peaks. Plus you will sound better than the big dawgs because you have a controlled signal thats loud & not painful to the ear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aphex-720-Dominator-II-Precision-Multiband-Peak-Limiter_W0QQitemZ200101498622QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23793QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this budget including subs? Where & what do u mostly play? Inside outside etc.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 7:51 pm
SpeedDemond29 wrote :
I use Yamaha Club Series speakers ... The 15" are $329.99 Per Speaker (in US) .. They are great..
They are 500 WATTS RMS @ 8 Ohms (1,000 Peak)

They have 12" that are $299.99 EACH. They are 300 WATTS RMS @ 8 Ohms (600 Peak)

BECAREFUL THOUGH! Like other manufactorers, they have there cheap series... The Club Series have a V at the end of the model number. and the Cheap ones are the BR Series they have BR at the beginning of the model number.

I have the 15s, 12s, and 10s. Club (V) Series.

For Amps, I recommend the QSC PLX Series or Crown Power Base series

ALSO Want to point out that they now also make Yamaha Concert Series (which are about $20-$50 more) but they are weather resistant.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 7:57 pm
Thanks for the responses.

I mostly play inside ... Bars / Halls ...things like that ... Though I do play some outdoor parties but nothing big ... Once a month I do a dance club that has its own amp/speakers ect ect.. so I’m in good shape there.

this budget does not include subs .. in fact I don’t want a sub ... I drive a 4 door sedan and all my gear must fit in it.

right now I put my two cases (ODYSSEY FZGS8 LAPTOP 19") & (ODYSSEY FZAR4 AMP RACK) and my lights/light tree in the trunk .. the back seat takes two speakers ... front seat has my back pack and friend if I’m taking one with me.

The speakers I have right now are Community MVP36 15" 2-way speaker … they are doing an ok job ...but my amp clips them out all the time ... so it’s their turn to get upgraded … but it must all fit in my car …. So nothing to big or heavy.

I was really thinking 4 ohm speakers would get the most out of my amp (750 watts) … over the 8 ohm (500 watts).

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 8:09 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have a Crown XS900 series amp 600 w per channel at 8 Ohm.
THe speakers I use are Yamaha S115IV. I have had these speakers for about 5 years now and they work very well. Only problem is the weight.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 8:17 pm
4ohms would get you more power for sure....later i will look for an upgrade for you. But I bet you can get more outta your current system if you get that limiter I pointed out. You will never see a red light again on your amp!

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 8:33 pm
Oh trust me .. I have not ruled out a peak limiter … I will be doing some more research on it before I purchase one … but I am considering it.

I normally upgrade one thing every month or two (depending on the cost of it) … as I make my cash back .. I turn around and reinvest it into my gear … this month is speakers.

I did a fast search on the peak limiters .. and seen that some come with EQs built in … and I was already considering an EQ …. What do you think of something like the DBX 2215 EQUALIZER/LIMITER Dual-Channel 15-Band … that exact one is too big for me .. I only have 2U’s space for it .. but it’s the general idea.

I think I will give the Yamaha’s a listen this week … most music stores carry them … If I get lucky they will have the club series.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 8:49 pm
bogart wrote :
I have a Crown XS900 series amp 600 w per channel at 8 Ohm.
THe speakers I use are Yamaha S115IV. I have had these speakers for about 5 years now and they work very well. Only problem is the weight.

A good work out... lol ... that's why I also mentioned the S112IVs (the 12s). I heard them (another mobile DJ had them) they sounded great.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 8:50 pm
Thats basically just a peak limiter..which u will hear it work like a wave. I know the dominator says peak limiter....but its much more than that. If set correctly you will have unbelivable controlled sound & you will not hear it work. All the others that are priced uder $300 wil not do that job. Best bet is to buy a used one off ebay. It averages about $350 used. Well worth it considering its $1200 brand new. Trust when I say you will live & die by this thing. Everyone will want to know how the hell you are getting that sound outta such a small system.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 9:35 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
beach wrote :
Oh trust me .. I have not ruled out a peak limiter … I will be doing some more research on it before I purchase one … but I am considering it.

I normally upgrade one thing every month or two (depending on the cost of it) … as I make my cash back .. I turn around and reinvest it into my gear … this month is speakers.

I did a fast search on the peak limiters .. and seen that some come with EQs built in … and I was already considering an EQ …. What do you think of something like the DBX 2215 EQUALIZER/LIMITER Dual-Channel 15-Band … that exact one is too big for me .. I only have 2U’s space for it .. but it’s the general idea.

I think I will give the Yamaha’s a listen this week … most music stores carry them … If I get lucky they will have the club series.

An EQ is hugh, and not overely cost pohibitive. I use the Behringer 1502, its a dual channel 15 band EQ, but the nice thing about all the Behring EQs is that they have a seperate output solely for a sub-woofer, thus eliminating the need for a crossover. The 1502 is under 100usd, the bigger models have the sub-out control on the front of the EQ, 1502s are in the back. But by all means grab and EQ, it will make a hugh difference in your over-all sound quality.

Posté Wed 25 Apr 07 @ 10:03 pm
Wel the limiter sold for $500 on ebay .. I was keeping an eye on it.

You say I should be able to pick one up for 300-350 ? .. is that the only one you recomend ?

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 5:40 pm
SpeedDemond29
Right your are when you say good workout. Especially when you haveto lug those puppies up to the 2nd floor.
Been thinking about looking for somethingwith less weight but staying with 15's.

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 6:32 pm
The Yamaha's don’t seem that heavy to me .. am I missing something ?

The Yamaha C115V is about 67lbs …. and the Peavey Impulse 1015 is about 62lbs … are they real awkward .. or have handles in bad spots ?

My community speakers are 50lbs .. and very easy to carry two at a time.

Anything under 90-100 lbs is acceptable for me .. as long as they are not awkward to carry like a sub woofer ect ect.

I’m real shocked that I haven’t gotten more opinions on speakers after all the views this thread has gotten…. Are there not many mobile DJs on these boards ?

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 7:09 pm
yeah its the only one I recommend. just kee p wathing them. I have bought two of them @ around that price. I would cut into your $1000 budget & keep using the speakers you are currently using.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APHEX-DOMINATOR-II-MODEL-720-MULTIBAND-PEAK-LIMITER_W0QQitemZ170102271346QQihZ007QQcategoryZ23793QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aphex-Dominator-II-720_W0QQitemZ260110256533QQihZ016QQcategoryZ23793QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just keep an eye out....it will be worth it. For bidding I suggest using phantom bidder. www.phantombidder.com

One other option for your speakers is just replace the drivers.....I had a hard time finding speakers that had a 4ohm load. If you just replace the drivers it will be easy. But it depends what kind of shape your cabinets are.

www.partsexpress.com has lots of drivers to choose from....the tech help is good there....they acually have a clue what they're talking about. They will choose the right drivers for your setup.

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 7:18 pm
Quote :
The Yamaha's don’t seem that heavy to me .. am I missing something ?

The Yamaha C115V is about 67lbs …. and the Peavey Impulse 1015 is about 62lbs … are they real awkward .. or have handles in bad spots ?

Well they are not to heavy to me, I guess after lugging them all the time, you get use to them. Honestly, they are not that :-)

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 7:27 pm
The Yamaha speakers are not that heavy persay. It's just the lugging up a flight of stairs they are cumbersome. ALso putting the on poles and trying to raise them to the height you need can be a pain in the butt. I have put the speakers on poles with poles lying on floor and then raising both speakers & poles to the standing position. Just looking for ways to lighten the load wherever possible.

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 7:47 pm
It's EV all the way for me, have you looked at a pair of EV SX300's?

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 8:12 pm
Dude, for the money, Go for the new behringer 800 watt 15" cabinet.

They sound better than my JBL MRX and mpro series speakers, they take a whole lot of power, they're loud as hell, and they're very musical.

yamaha club series which I also own is nice beginner stuff, but it's very low power, lower max spl than other comparable speakers, and worst of all they're carpeted.. the carpet sucks in smoke smell, and I can tell you from experience.. once you use them in a bar, you can never use them in a wedding, corporate, or holiday party again.. they'll stink too bad.

Like I said, I'm currently using these behringers and i'm super impressed. They're a molded cabinet, so it's tight and bouncy sound all the way. the cabinets put out great low end, and they're very sexy looking.

I swear to you that for the $215.00 price tag, you will not find another speaker that sounds this good and takes this much power. The MRX speakers cost $599.00 each, and these kick their asses.

the warranty is phenomenal, and the performance and price are dynamite...

Before anyone says anything about these speakers, go demo them with a nice 900 to 1000 watts driven to each one, and tell me what you think...

they're awesome!

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 8:24 pm
36%