Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Hello!

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi everyone, I just joined here. I think this site is awesome! And Virtual DJ program is wicked ;D

I've always been a fan of the DJ mixin/music community since the 90's-present, buying DJ mags etc. I first started learning on a Gemini "beginner" two CD DJ mix system, CD10's and PMX 40 mixer. I also added a Numark The Beatkeeper 2 1U rack mount to learn beatmixing. I also bought 1 Gemini Diret-Drive turtable. Old equipment, mostly in great like new condition tho. I have some stuff records.

I chose that to learn on that since most of the music I liked to listen to, I bought on cds. Financially, finding all the songs I liked on record back then was just not happening. I know it gets cheaper when you "play out as a pro" and join a record club to get latest music etc.

So, I as I kept having fun, learning, creating and mixing....I decided to find an affordable digital mixing alternative. Seeing as how the clubs equipment and industry started to getting into mp3 mixing. So I found and bought the original Hercules DJ Console MK1! I know that this version takes a "beating" by most, but I found it to b everything I wanted as a Bedroom DJ =) I have noticed that it does take a firm aggressive way to start and stop it using the buttons.

I like all types of music. And I give respect to all fellow DJ's that mix whatever style, DnB, Techno, BreakBeat, Dub, Jungle etc....I personally like to mix what I guess you call "commercial Dance/Club/House/Disco House".....and Im always open to learning how to mix different styles of music Hip-Hop, R&B etc. But I've recently gotten back to using my Herc MK1, cause for the last 3 years I screwed up my laptop! Which screwed up my Virtual DJ V1.x and DJ Console. The only way to get it working back then was a total hard drive reinstall, hahah which I didn't wanna do back then.

I have a decent laptop, it surpasses the minimun requirements for VDJ1.x, but It falls alittle short for VDJ Pro recommened requirements. It runs smoothly with no probs right now. I could list my specs if anyone wants to know.

My MK1 is practically 98% like new. It had been sitting for like 3years. I even recorded and burnt off a House Mix before my system crashed. I got the help of my friend, who's a guitarist/muscisian/recording engineer to help burn my mix cd and setup the track seeking points on the wave file, before we burnt it to a cd! I would say it was an average mix cd(6.8-7.5 outa 10) My own criticism heh. But most of my friends I gave it too, were amazed and liked it.

I've even met some cool friends who "DJ out" in this fun culture! 2 friends both have pro gear. One was using Turntables, mixer running Final Scratch 2 thru a Mac laptop at a wedding social/party. It was impressive, It was the latest FS awhile back tho. And my other friend has Technics Turntables and a Pioneer mixer. I watched him spin at some of the bars here. He's pretty good. Last time I talked to him, he's mixing on a local University radio station on a late night hour spot. He even liked my mix cd! He even thought I used vinyl, even though I told him it was mp3. He even always bugged me after that to come out at spin at house partys etc.... I would like to, but I crashed my system back then.

Thanks to all who read this long post! I guess I have a few questions here. Do you think that my MK1 and maybe a purchase of VDJ Pro and the Gemini mixer, turntable equipment I have now is worth keeping and learning/creating/having fun!?

What about the idea of wanting to use it for small partys, radio play etc like my friend wanted me to do?

Im no Scratch DJ, but with my turntable it is an option to play it over with my MK1, VDJ on my laptop right? Plus I could transfer my records to digital files using my Herc right? I mean Props to Filipino DJ Qbert! He's one of my heros ;P Has anyone thought of using DJ Qbert's Vestax QFO turntable with a Herc MK1 or MK2? That should be some crazy stuff to have fun with.

Should I really sell my MK1 and just get a MK2 and VDJ Pro? I really dont want to spend money for another MK2, when Im cool learning and having fun with my MK1, and all its limitations, design flaws etc. Plus there are some cool controllers being developed all the time for VDJ and similar programs right? If I intend on getting more "serious/pro".

Thanks everyone who responds! Mix for FUN not fame, cuz fame finds people having the most FUN! =D

Marlow

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 2:10 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
perhaps you should buy numark virtual vinyl

comes with a special soundcard

2 control records

Pro Copy of numark cue (virtual dj)

and you can still use the mk1 as a controler

http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/Numark_Virtual_Vinyl.html

it is 450 pounds but together but its probaly cheaper in the long run

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 10:53 am
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Nice post, probably the longest one i've seen! lol :)

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 2:56 pm

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 5:50 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
LOL, yes that is one massive post. Ok, the one above is the biggest original one i've seen. I've read the other long one somewhere else.

G.

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 8:09 pm
Thanks for the replies ppl! I kinda hate reading forums and ppl dont really explain or elaborate clearly enuf for what they want to say heh. My long post. :D Thanks for the suggestion sky. I was kinda looking at the Numark stuff on ebay etc. Isnt Cue essentially VDJ too?

I made some errors in my post tho. I meant to say I only have a few records. I have way more cds. Its amazing how dizzying the amount of music on vinyl there is. I usually bought off of Hard To Find Records in the UK. I loved getting their catalogs in the mail. I guess I should really plan out and save money, for what route I wanna take using my MK1. Im totally addicted too, to VDJ radio!!!!! Right now Im reading all the posts about "VDJ, Comp Perf, Setup, etc" I gotta learn more.

Peace all.

Posté Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 9:55 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)