Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet reinstall windows

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

If reinstall windows will it erase everything on the partition?

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 4:57 pm
Only if you want to do it correctly. You can overwrite Windows which will fix any problems you may be having but generally at the cost of worse performance. If you have an external drive or large capacity mp3 player like an ipod you can move all your important files onto that. Or if you have enough physical disk space left on your current drive, you can create a new partition to move files onto and then format the current one. You could even have two operating system installs on the two different partitions on the same drive. When you get the new one working how you want, you can remove the old one and resize the drive.

The best way though, is to move your important files onto another external disk. Format the current partition, install windows and then move your files back.

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 5:05 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
you could aslo try the Repair funtion when installing to repair your existing install

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 7:23 pm
skyfxl wrote :
you could aslo try the Repair funtion when installing to repair your existing install

I don't see and repair, Would that be upgrade?

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 10:01 pm
There is a repair option, but like I said in my post - you will experience worse performance even though everything will work correctly. The repair installation may only be an option when booting from the cdrom, I cannot remember.

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 10:14 pm
Andrew87 wrote :
There is a repair option, but like I said in my post - you will experience worse performance even though everything will work correctly. The repair installation may only be an option when booting from the cdrom, I cannot remember.

I'm having a really bad crashing issue and can't find the problem with the OP or Hardware so I wanted to stabilize the pc so I could move files

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 10:27 pm
paulettecerra wrote :
Andrew87 wrote :

I'm having a really bad crashing issue and can't find the problem with the OP or Hardware so I wanted to stabilize the pc so I could move files

I finally got that dam blue screen of death again. the code it gave me was ATI2dvag

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 10:49 pm

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 11:07 pm

A good solution to try, as the crash you have is a legend by now for being hard to get rid of, is to try use a different driver for your graphic card, and most say it works better than the native ATI drivers

http://www.dna-drivers.com/

The ati driver is here:
http://www.dna-drivers.org/list.php?c=downloadati

(one reason for this "unofficial" driver project going for years now, is your crash error)

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 11:13 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :

A good solution to try, as the crash you have is a legend by now for being hard to get rid of, is to try use a different driver for your graphic card, and most say it works better than the native ATI drivers

The ati driver is here:

(one reason for this "unofficial" driver project going for years now, is your crash error)

thanks. When I get finnished moving files I'm instaling VISTA

Posté Thu 19 Jul 07 @ 11:47 pm
Good luck with Vista. A friend showed me a report earlier about how Vista's GPU memory allocation can be upto 40% more than in XP. Suprisingly, nvidia 8 series owners are reporting better video functionality in Vista.

Posté Fri 20 Jul 07 @ 1:20 am
@ Norway ..... are you meaning the restart windows setup ?? keeps blue screening then restart setup ??

sky is talkin about Automated System Repair ....... it's an option during windows set up i think it's invoked via f3 .....

Posté Fri 20 Jul 07 @ 10:51 pm
paulettecerra wrote :
dj-in-norway wrote :

The ati driver is here:

thanks. When I get finnished moving files I'm instaling VISTA

Do yourself a favor......DON'T. (Install Vista that is) You will thank me later. :)

Automated system repair can screw you up pretty good too depending on how much your system is patched. Stay away from that too. A reinstall is much easier, just backup your documents folder and make a note of what programs you have installed. (Reinstalling windows will just write over the c:\windows directory and your "Documents & Settings" folder. Everything else will stay put. (Oh yeah your registry will be wiped too.)

Posté Sat 21 Jul 07 @ 4:02 am
i would say since you have a hassle no matter what , do all the hassles at once and put it behind you and go to vista

avoiding vista as a permanent thing isn't a realistic option

Cyder and Sky and at least a few others are using vista successfully

Posté Sat 21 Jul 07 @ 2:19 pm

Vista works great on my PC.

It does use a lot more ram, when Aero (those "wow" effects and looks) are activated, but most new PC's have LOADS of ram ( I have 2 gigabytes), so Vista using more ram than XP is not an issue on my pc

Posté Sat 21 Jul 07 @ 5:24 pm
I went back to XP not for ram issues but general stability issues. I disabled all the services I didn't need and background applications such as the sidebar and Vista ran at reasonable speeds, bootup was slower than XP - in XP I can use the computer the moment I see the desktop even if it's still loading; this is supposed to be better in Vista but wasn't.

But aside from that, there are problems with simple file operations such as moving files. There is definitely a huge delay compared to XP and any other operating system I've ever used. This is quite a widespread problem. Eventually certain features began to break. When I first installed Vista it was wonderful, I was so impressed how well mutlitasking worked, but sadly after a while it all began to break - much like XP pre service packs.

Posté Sat 21 Jul 07 @ 5:35 pm
"Microsoft is scoping Windows 7 development to a three-year time frame, and then the specific release date will ultimately be determined by meeting the quality bar"

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9593_22-6197943.html

I wonder if it's worth paying the money for Vista, a currently (imo) inferior product to XP when Microsoft are planning to replace it so soon. Vista had been delayed for such a long time and the amount of bugs still in it are shocking. Only when Microsoft overhaul the entire OS through a service pack will I ever give it another go. Thankfully I have this as an option through my msdnaa account, think carefully about whether Vista is right for you.

(Vista allows you to install a 30 day trial of any of its versions without a product key. I'm no lawyer, but believe this is legal to do so). If you do want to go the Vista route, maybe try this first before committing to the purchase.

Posté Sun 22 Jul 07 @ 4:22 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)