Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Converting 12" vinyl to mp3

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all

Has anybody used these USB turntables to convert your old vinyl tracks into mp3 files. I've been looking at the Ion turntable.

The reason I ask is that I have over 400 12" records I would like to convert also is the software you get with them is it any good?

Any advice would be good.

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 5:21 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
which model ? they do 3 types from what i have seen

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 5:25 pm
It's this model

www.getinthemix.co.uk/Ion-ITT-USB--ITT-USB-Turntable.htm

The link might not work it's my first time doing one.

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 5:53 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 6:54 pm
Yeah that looks cool,

What sort of price range is it. Don't really want to spend alot as I'm only going to use it to convert my vinyl

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 6:58 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The link that u gave us also feature that nurmark ones. scroll down a bit ...below n there the price tag:))

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 7:10 pm

D'OH

I've seen it now.

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 7:18 pm
The software given is the free Audacity software which you can download from their sourceforge site. If you know any programming the source code is available if you wish to tinker with it.

I'm curious if these USB turntables provide a hardware preamp or do it in Audacity instead? If it's the latter, there's no benefit in these turntables to a normal deck with the right connection other than price.

Posté Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 2:10 am
I'm just going to use it to convert.

Do you think I can do it using 1 of my 1210's/ hercules/mixer/ and the software?

Is it a Daft question ??

Posté Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 2:32 am
What you suggested would work. Some internal soundcards line in apply a preamp, but to be safe, do it through your mixer to apply gain settings etc. You'll want to connect the recording output from your mixer to the line-in of your computer, this output is a line output rather than phono so is what you want. You'll need to play about with the recording levels in Windows Sound Panel and use the Audacity software to record. A rca to 3.5mm line cable is required for this method.

I wouldn't recommend doing it through the Hercules because I've not found a way to only record via the specific channels you want, i.e. 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 rather than 1 - 4. VirtualDJ has a rip vinyl feature which you can use with your internal soundcard if you don't want to use Audacity. Infact, it will work with any card including the Herc. but like I stated, I'm not sure if it's real stereo.

The usb turntable may give you a better result, I don't know.

Posté Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 2:41 am
Many thank's Andrew,

and I get what you are saying. I'm going to download the Audacity software tomorrow and have a play with it for a couple of day's with the set up you have mention.

Hopefully I won't distroy anything.

Posté Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 3:23 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Buy a GOOOD Nedle to...

Posté Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 9:24 am
Quote :
Buy a GOOOD Nedle to...

Yeah, the last thing you want is to realize 5 years from now that the recordings sound like crap. You only want to do this once.

Posté Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 1:49 am
Sorry to revive this thread after so long, but I'm going to go back on my avoid recording through the Hercules comment. The Hercules provides phono and line input, therefore if you select phono you have a preamp, which is good. To record only either channel 1 and 2, or only channel 3 and 4 simply put the card into ASIO. You can then use VirtualDJ's Vinyl Rip program with good success. Personally I'm ripping through Sound Forge because I like the process and cleanup abilities better. You can also record two tracks simultaneously with this method and then split the channels afterwards by doing four track recording.

Posté Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 2:42 am
i jsut might have to give this a go my dad has 2,000 12"records and there all put up cause there his babys. well my thought is there only as great if you listen to then well this will give him both sides of the advantage. adle to keep them in perfect condition and be able to listen tto them. now i have to find a good record player, and i dont know sh*** about them, but i guess i will find out.

laters and keep the floor hoppen

Posté Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 3:28 am
Yep,

tried a few ideas and decided to go with a sort of set up you mentioned above Andrew, my mate who likes to produce his own music and samplers came with that idea too.

I using the VDJ Vinyl Rip program. I've done about 150 12" so far and it has turn out very good. Some of my older tunes (12 years + ) may be down in sound quilaty but that much, also i have enjoyed doing something different.

Only about another 250 to go.

Cheers for the advice Andrew

Jimmy B

Posté Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 3:39 am
jimmy b glad you got it sorted.

rockinrossco, if you don't have a pair of dj turntables but are interested in them and tcv - it may be a good idea to check out the Numark TTX USB. This turntable is Numark's topend deck and very nicely priced for the features it offers. One of its advantages to your vinyl ripping problem is it supports line output (i.e. it has its own pre-amp) and supports digital recording via usb. This means that you don't need to buy a pre-amp or soundcard to do the ripping with this turntable.

Posté Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 3:43 am
kaoz99PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Guys, just remember when u are recording from vinyl to your pc remember u must remaster the levels otherwise the sounds will be too low.
Also for old record restorations ie. removing crackles, pops & clicks i use http://www.wavepurity.com/ its a little time consuming but well worth it.
I have tried several products and this is the best so far.

I have recorded almost 5000 12" records onto my PC via 1200's and remastered with Adobe Auditon 2.0 and Wavepurity.

Hope this helps too

Cheers
Kaoz

Posté Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 6:04 am
Thanks for the advice Kaoz99

I will have a look at wavepurity and Adobe 2.0 when I get up this afternoon, ( on the nightshift at the mo ).

I haven't played any of my converted vinyl track's yet, where I play on Fri/Sat nights, so I don't know what they sound like on the Bar sound system. On my Home system they sound pretty good.

Jimmy B

Posté Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 6:25 am
I have one of those turntables. I've just spent most of the last week copying some vinyls I bought into my laptop - can't quite get to grips with the Audacity software, so I used Creative Soundblaster - if the vinyls you are using are a bit scritchy-scratchy, you can clean them up - same with your tape collection, as long as the recording source is good - CDs, FM/DAB radio and so on - using Creative's Audio Clean-Up - you can eliminate tape hiss and clicks from vinyl.

Posté Mon 20 Aug 07 @ 11:22 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)