Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Vista - 64 bit or 32 bit ? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

which is best for VDJ to run under ?

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 2:55 am
32 bit is the way to go, there`s absolutly no reason for using a 64bit OS since nearly no application is optimized for 64bit yet.
In most cases the 64bit OS is even slower when the applications are not designed for it.

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 3:16 am
Also, if your not going to be buying Windows Vista Ultimate, you will have to pay extra again to get the 64 bit version as only the Ultimate package comes with it.

Take heed of the advice above, I have been down both paths of 32 and 64 bit OS, and have stuck firmly with the 32 bit edition, as the 64 bit seemed to cause more problems that it's worth.

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 3:27 am
i was planning on putting 6 or 8 gb of memory in to remove any issue of memory being the cause of crashes - I thought it needed 64bit os to address that much memory ?

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 6:22 am
You dont need 6-8 gig of memory to run VDJ, there are users runnin on 512 and 1 gig perfectly it is all about system optomization and whats runnin in the background as well as the video card. I wouldnt personally waste my money just yet:)

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 6:50 am
MrtimPRO InfinityMember since 2007

VISTA

Very Inconsistent Software - Try Again
Virus Instability Spyware Trojans Adware (or Viruses Intrusions Spyware Trojans Adware)
Very Irritating System Try Another
Vista Is Stupid To Attempt
Volatility Isn't Something To Admire
Virtually Impossible Source To Avoid
Vastly Inferior Software To Apple's
Vaguely Innovative - Sucks The Ass
Venereal Infectious Sexually Transmitted Ailment
Vista Is Shittier Than Anything
Vastly Improved Solitaire Tiling Algorithms

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 7:15 am
Mrtim wrote :

VISTA

Very Inconsistent Software - Try Again
Virus Instability Spyware Trojans Adware (or Viruses Intrusions Spyware Trojans Adware)
Very Irritating System Try Another
Vista Is Stupid To Attempt
Volatility Isn't Something To Admire
Virtually Impossible Source To Avoid
Vastly Inferior Software To Apple's
Vaguely Innovative - Sucks The Ass
Venereal Infectious Sexually Transmitted Ailment
Vista Is Shittier Than Anything
Vastly Improved Solitaire Tiling Algorithms

This sir does not help the person askin the questions and to me could be taken the wrong way, Others may remember this when you ask for help.

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 7:36 am
My apologies to anyone that has been offended. Here is the point I was trying to get across.

As a retired Computer Network Admin and current PC support contact for dozens of friends and family, I have seen nothing but an excuse to buy a bigger machine come from the release of Microsoft Vista.

My response should have been to recommend going back to Windows XP and avoid using up valuable CPU and memory headroom with the whirling dervishes and blinking whizzbangs of Vista.

Extra tip: If your machine WILL NOT BE HOOKED TO THE INTERNET, run XP pro without SP2. The performance is 20-40% faster. I've run 5 hour shows on my backup P500mhz laptop using v3.X and just the on-board soundcard running a split headphone output.

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 4:27 pm
I saw a posting that said Vista did a better job of Video than XP - I dont mind buying bigger hardware if it buys me better video performance / reliability - comment ?

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 9:07 pm
Vista seems to be doing lots of things in the background to make the experience easier for the novice user. I don't sit well with my PC deciding it's time to index a drive on it's own. The engine may be an improvement over a very stable XP Operating system but no matter how much memory or processor power I throw at it, it always seems to want more. (Like a girl I once dated)

A good example is the advanced search. You just start typing and vista starts up a complete search of everything on your PC including camera cards, external hard drives, thumb drives, Network Drives(including that open drive on the bar manager's PC in the office on the wireless network) etc. without telling it where to look.

Also every time you want to connect to something it asks you "Allow or Deny?" secure, but a real pain.

My last argument towards XP over Vista would be in the reload department. Stuff happens to crash any OS. My latest crash involved a 8 year old's click to a spy-ware page. A well equipped laptop can reload XP in less than 2 hours, closer to an hour in a pinch and I know it's going to be rock solid. Vista loads take way longer and have never been without hiccups for me. What OS would you rather reload at 7pm Friday night two hours before a gig?

I'm sure you could take out all Vista's extra stuff to keep it lean. In the end you would be left with an OS that runs just like XP with a higher price tag.

IMHO - Put the extra $$ into a better/bigger lights or sound. It will give you a better return on your investment.

Just an opinion, nothing more

Cheers

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 11:04 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Vista has a vastly improved set of multimedia Apis ,

for audio and video

audio plays more smoothly and at a higher quality

video loads faster and plays back more smoothly

which means better performance and a reduced likely hood of crashing,

just turn off areo and the side bar while mixing , this will save alot of resources which can be used in vdj

currently i would go with 32 bit as not all hardware has 64 bit drivers yet ie maya 44

Posté Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 11:52 pm
I personally have to say I didnt like my Vista experience and have gone back to XP. Now this may be due to a MOBO that is no longer supported and has had no BIOS update in 2 yrs.

Posté Tue 28 Aug 07 @ 12:19 am
Skyfxl posted ..... "just turn off areo and the side bar while mixing " what does this mean.... davefromlondon

Posté Tue 28 Aug 07 @ 3:08 pm
areo is their new transulent theme , you can turn it off by clicking your desktop and choosing a different theme , such as widnows classic which i use while mixing ,

the side bar is a bar on the side of the screen with useful info such as how much cpu the sidebar is wasting

so i recomend you dissable this while you mix too :)

Posté Tue 28 Aug 07 @ 3:21 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You can setup Vista the same way as XP, the main things to disable:
System Restore
Aero Theme
Sidebar
Turn off all video enhancements
Firewall and security
Automatic Updates
Hd Indexing
After all this disabled you will notice better speed for sure ;)

Posté Tue 28 Aug 07 @ 4:26 pm
skyfxl posted "Vista has a vastly improved set of multimedia Apis , for audio and video
audio plays more smoothly and at a higher quality
video loads faster and plays back more smoothly
which means better performance and a reduced likely hood of crashing,
just turn off areo and the side bar while mixing , this will save alot of resources which can be used in vdj
currently i would go with 32 bit as not all hardware has 64 bit drivers yet ie maya 44"

so, the classic question......new OS is naturally less stable in general than XP BUT, you are saying less likely to crash VDJ due to better handling of video.

I am am building a system today do I go for XP Pro ( proven reliability ) or VISTA ( less proven but newer function to fix crashing issues )
if Vista home, business or ultimate ? ( you said ultimate befire, i hear others say home ?)

Posté Tue 28 Aug 07 @ 10:53 pm

Posté Wed 29 Aug 07 @ 1:05 pm
Thanks - I guess you feel the improved video audio in vista trumps the 'newness' factor vs XP Pro. I bought a machine yesterday vista 32 ult, quad core, 2gb, nvidea 640mb fast hdd on a Viper gaming machine - close to bare bones OS, no crap added as gamers have same issues as us.

ran flawlessley all night then today in auto mix, when loading a new song on right deck as the left deck had just started palying, at the end of the load it quickly 'flipped' the mix bar to the right, then silence, then pause, then the mixer slowly went back to the left and the song on the right deck disappeared off the deck, the song on left then played - any ideas - I'll create ano post

Posté Wed 29 Aug 07 @ 10:45 pm
running vista ult and VDJ 5.0 on my new gaming machine and no crashes / frezzes - finally - i have a working machine, video automix mode

Spec for my gamer
EagleTech Black/Red Viper Gaming Tower with Red LED Lighting
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
Processor Intel® Core(tm) 2 Quad Processor Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
Level 2 Cache 8MB Level 2 Cache
Data Bus Speed 1066MHz Frontside Bus
RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported 2048MB PC-6400 DDR2 RAM (Expandable to 8GB)
Memory Configuration (2) 1024MB DIMM Memory Modules
Memory Slots Available (2) Available 240-pin DIMM Slots
Hard Drive (2) 500GB 7,200RPM Serial ATA-300 Hard Drives (RAID 0 Array)
Multimedia Drive 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Second Multimedia Drive 8x DVD+R DL; 8x DVD-R DL; 16x8x16 DVD+RW; 16x6x16 DVD-RW; 12x12 DVD-RAM; 48x32x48 CD-RW
Display Type Display Not Included
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS PCIe x16 Video Card
Video Card Memory 640MB GDDR3 Video Memory

VDJ 5.0
No external controller
No USB anything
Only VDJ running –
Quite a few vista things turned off

Posté Thu 27 Sep 07 @ 4:39 pm
hey davefromlondon
can you please tell me all the things that you are not running in vista. i just bought vista upgrade because my m-audio fast track will not perform with windows xp media center edition and m-audio does not have drivers for media center edition but they do for vista

Posté Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 6:52 am
91%