Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet External soundcard for laptop - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Hello all,

I have just purchased virtual dj and am in the market for an external soundcard. I had read about one called the Gigaport AG (see link: http://floridamusicco.com/gigaportag.htm).

To the Virtual DJ development team, is this compatible with Virtual DJ? Also, is this good to hook up to a mixer? Pls advise.

Jean

Posté Fri 11 Jul 03 @ 7:21 pm
I also heard that Maya makes a USB based soundcard as well. Please let me know.

Posté Fri 11 Jul 03 @ 11:49 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi,
I too use a laptop. I use a split output from the onboard sound card. It sounds great!

Posté Sat 12 Jul 03 @ 12:20 am
may i suggest the M-Audio external USB sound cards. They are amazing products for the price. Definately professional quality.

Posté Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 5:20 am
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
Rick, is it also great when you plug it in a 2000+ W amp?

Posté Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 9:33 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I use onboard on both pc's and I am using some pretty serious equipment with no problems.

Posté Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 10:09 am
oh man, my amp is only 1600 watts.

get's the job done tho.

Posté Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 3:15 pm
PerozPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm with Creative Sound Blaster Extigy (external USB) and it's perfect. Go to www.creative.com for other external usb cards: there is one that is cheaper than the Extigy... It's MP3 + Check it out

Peroz

Posté Mon 14 Jul 03 @ 9:56 am
Rick,

Have you used on live session on a disco with great amps???
It sound good too?

I use a laptop too.

Posté Mon 14 Jul 03 @ 4:18 pm
Well, my least amplified sound system includes a 1200 watt amp, and a set of 2 JBL 15" 2 ways, and an extra MTX 15 " 2 way speaker.
I use it 4-6 times every single week, in 4 different bars & pubs.
each night, it sounds great!

Posté Mon 14 Jul 03 @ 4:56 pm
I too use the Extigy and the sound is unbelievable. My speakers are all JBL and I use a QSC amp. I am crancking about 2200 Watts but I usually do weddings so the power is not usually needed but with using the ATOMIXMP3 and now this....the sound is absolutley perfect! I DJ every week several times a week from anything from Club Play to weddings to Frat Parties. Whatever you do, do not skimp on your sound card. You will pay later.

DJ Troyka

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 3:24 am
I've been DJing with the laptop for well over 2 years now. The only sound card I use now is the one that came built into the computer. Stock Sony Vaio. Many people seem to think you have to spend money on an external sound card. I find that it sounds incredible with the stock on-board sound card split to 2 channels on the mixer.
I had an external sound device for a while, I was using it at the one club where stereo sound could be used. I noticed no difference in the quality of the output, so eventually I stopped using it.

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 3:36 am
Rick, If you want to DJ in Mono that is true but I prefer stereo. Some people thinks that it does not make a difference but the sound is so much better in digital stereo.

DJ Troyka

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 5:24 am
Well, in many club, bar or pub type situations stereo is not only not needed, but also not practical due to speaker placement. I have found that the mono output sounds every bit as full and crisp as the stereo output. Spend your money on an expensive external sound card if you want to, but really it's not a requirement.

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 3:44 pm
Yes Rick.

Mono is enough in mant places. You're right.

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 4:12 pm
But Rick,

Your Stock Sony Vaio look better than my poor Conexant AC card. hehehe

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 4:13 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
Its not about when you cranck it up, its about hiss at low level.
Btw, why do some clubs keep their sound at the werry edge of blowing their speekers and with so much distorsion that Barry White (mey he rest in peace) sounds like Donnald Duck?

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 4:39 pm
My laptop has Soundblaster Live 5.1, but no secondary soundcard. Are you saying that this is enough, and that I don't need to buy a secondary soundcard?

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 11:03 pm
It seems that some would say that you need a 2nd sound card. Personally, yours is already better than mine. I don't use a 2nd sound device any more. I DJ with my laptop 5 times every week. I think it sounds awesome!!
Best thing is for you to try it, and decide for yourself.

Posté Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 11:26 pm
mikeynlPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Im using a MAYA EX extternal USB connected sound card with no problems at all. Works well once its configured correctly.

Mikey NL

Posté Sat 09 Aug 03 @ 4:14 pm
59%