Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet ARRRRRGH! I DROPPED MY MACBOOK.

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

So I did the unthinkable and knocked my Macbook off of my desk. Thankfully it partially landed on my foot and didn't hit too hard on the floor. There was no external damage and everything seems to be working fine except when I play audio through the Macbook's built-in speakers and I pan over to the left the left speaker sounds muffled (as if there was a high filter bandpass). I never use my built-in speakers but I was wondering if another Macbook user could test their laptop and see if the result is the same when they pan the sound from right to left. Like I said, I don't ever use my Macbook's internal speakers so it isn't a huge deal, it's more so just to know if I damaged the speaker in the fall. One other thing, although my Macbook is running fine now is there any chance that problems could arise down the road due to the fall, or did I get lucky and everything should be OK. God, I keep replaying the moment of the fall over and over in my head in slow motion :(

Posté Sun 30 Mar 08 @ 11:33 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Damn, sorry to hear u drop ur mac:(

I will check for u when i home later as my mac is not with me;)

Posté Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 1:10 am
Kewl, thanx Spinna.

Posté Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 1:59 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey dizzy, just test my macbook internal soundcard. Apparently its more or less the same as u described n u dun have to worry abt it. This could be due to the stereo properties (right n left channel) on the card itself. So no harm done.

Does it sound as normal when u put it on the middle? The right more of the bass while the left more of the high. Btw the mac internal soundcard is not good for professional use.

Regards n have a nice day;)

Posté Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 2:38 pm
That's friggin' awesome news SpinnaJ, thanks so much! In my case (I have the black 13" Macbook) it's the other way around with the right emitting more of the highs and the left has more bass. And yes it sounds normal when I put it in the middle albeit I notice that the sound is more prevalent on the right side because that's where the majority of the highs are coming from. By the sounds of things though it's always been like that, I just never noticed before because I never messed around with the pan settings. I use VV with it's soundcard for DJ'ing anyways so the only time I make use of the Mac's internal soundcard and the built-in speakers is when I'm goofing around at home setting cue points or whatever. I was more concerned about the built-in speakers working as they should for when it comes time to sell my Macbook sometime down the road. Thanks again for your help!

Posté Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 3:00 pm
i have the macbook pro and it does the same, maybe someone at apple dropped all our macbooks lol

Posté Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 3:15 pm
Lol, ya maybe someone's job at the Apple plant is to stand at the end of the assembly line and drop all the laptops. Thanks for testing yours too Computermusiclove. I'm thinking it's not an issue with the internal soundcard but more like one speaker is acting like a micro-sub handling the low to mid-low frequencies and the other is acting like the tweeter. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. There isn't a real need for true stereo sound with the built-in speakers so I guess Mac just has it set up so the sound is distributed in whatever way they feel works best.

Posté Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 4:23 pm
Dizzy,

I also have a MBP and the internal speakers seem to have to the same pattern you speak of. As per your concern about problems down the road, I know that Apple has done what they can to prevent that...

Your MB should have an accelerometer built into it that senses sudden changes in velocity. If you drop it, your hard drive is supposed to "freeze" so that you don't lose any data. If the impact wasn't strong enough to break the display, you can probably assume the rest of the MB is fine.

J

Posté Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 12:25 pm
Interesting, I didn't know about the accelerometer thing. Good to know. Thanks for your post. I've been using my MB a lot since the drop and I haven't noticed anything wrong thus far so all seems well.

Posté Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 12:28 pm
I think I've discovered the reason for all the MB's & MBP's having unbalanced sound from the built-in speakers. Apparently the built-in microphone is located right next to the left speaker behind the same grill so the left speaker is purposefully set to omit high frequency output in order to prevent feedback from the built-in mic. Makes sense to me.

Posté Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 12:04 pm
My last Macbook Pro I dropped it the 1st weekend at the club. Big a$$ ding in the corner. I was pissed! $3,000 computer.

My brother uses one of these cases for protection, he swears by it:
http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/17-macbook-pro/21.

I'm actually going to get the clear one today for my new 17" and create a sweet graphic to slide underneath it without adhering to the computer.

Posté Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 3:44 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have a Speck Case its very sturdy and takes alot of punishment.

i also got a touchpad protector from www.skinstyler.com it protects the touchpad from any scratches or knocks

i want to get a iskin protector for the keyboard and palm rest to ensure if any thing gets spilt on it its safe from death from above.

Posté Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 4:16 pm
sorry to hear man. if it makes u feel any better i djed a softball game two days ago in the rain for a college and i had rain running down my screen i was freaking out!

Posté Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 9:06 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)