Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer vs Aphex 204 Aural Exciter - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
I just bought a Matrix B-52 2000 speaker system and would like to add one of these.
Which one do you guys think it will go nice with this speaker set up.
I've always used BBE and came across this Aphex which has more control to adjust each channel but don't know much about it.
Any comments will be appreciated....

Thanks

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 7:31 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Get the Aphex 204 - real enriching experience to the overall sound of your system. You won't be disappointed at all. And, even though the Aphex 204 has only been on the market for about 4-5 years, the engineering has been around since the 70s in recording studios and it is just a phenomenal component to add to any rig.

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 8:22 am
Thank you, Cstoll

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 8:42 am
I can't speak on the other sound processor you mentioned but I use the BBE and I love it. It is so simple and greatly enhances the sound quality. I love the BBE.

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 11:34 am
has anyone tried the Sonic Maximizer plug in?

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 12:37 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Agree with Cstoll...I own both units..the Aphex is a much better piece of equipment.....

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 12:51 pm
7 years ago a did an A/B comparison to a BBE (not remember the model) and an Aphex 101 Sonic Maximizer... I bought the aphex because it has more control of the effect and it was more cleaner than BBE. I still have it but after I learned how to EQ in a 3-way triamped system I barely use it.

If you want to get "better" sound with just of a press of a button, get it. But you can get better sound yet and you will find more usefull a good eq, (dbx makes very good eqs for their price range).

cheers!

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 1:14 pm
Thanks guys, I am purchasing the Aphex now and is even cheaper than BBE.

Posté Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 1:27 pm
Well got my Aphex today and all I have to say is, this thing is Fu*@ing Amazing!!!!!
The Bass in my B52 is sick and my highs are crystal clear, thanks everybody for your recommendation.

djpr1

Posté Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 9:14 pm
I'm going to hack this thread since it appears to be over and someone mentions this product here. Has anyone tried the BBE D82 plugin? I just tried to download it and after I authorized, I don't have an icon (I'm on OSX)?

Posté Tue 07 Oct 08 @ 12:26 am
I'd recommend the Peavy Kosmos over either of those.... the aphex and the BBE are both prone to distortion. The Kosmos is a synthesizer, and makes a much cleaner subharmonic and upper harmonic register.

I know the peavy smoked them both in a shootout in one of the live sound magazines I was reading..

I'm not a peavy fan, but this thing kicks ass!

I gave my aphex away to my friend, because after the kosmos, I couldn't stand the sound from the aphex anymore...

Posté Tue 07 Oct 08 @ 3:26 am
the debate whether BBE or APHEX may come to Resolution by choosing ART 351 Single Channel 31-Band Equalizer ?

Posté Thu 12 Dec 13 @ 2:50 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
APHEX 204 all the way.

The Aphex enhances what already exists. If it is driven into distortion then you are doing it wrong lol The 204 can create a cleaner,fuller sound without using more power. I have used all three units and settled on the Aphex for my live sound rig. I use one chan for Kick Drum and Bass Guitar and the other on the Vocal Bus. The improvment in Vocal clarity is stunning and the Kick Drum persistence is just what I need.

Units like the Peavy and BBE do not do the same thing. Good kit but totaly different job. They create, synthesize frequencies that are not actualy present ( A form of distortion in itself). Great for generating earth shaking Sub Bass but if your amp and speaker setup is not up to scratch then things get fried. Nothing wrong with that but it is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

The Aphex is not an EQ iether. Again it is doing a different Job. EQ is used to boost or cut frequencies to obtain or give your system a certain "Voice". I use 31 band EQ to level and voice the system then fire up the Aphex to add that extra little bit of clarity. Like anything else if its used to extremes it can screw the sound just as badly as the Smiley Face setting on a Grqphic EQ.

What you choose depends totaly on what you are trying to achieve :-)

Daz

Posté Thu 12 Dec 13 @ 11:45 pm
@ StarStern. The topic is from 2008. PR1 made up his mind years ago. Now in 2013, many years later, he doesn't have the sound processor anymore.

Posté Fri 13 Dec 13 @ 12:23 am
I just wanted to pop in and say Aural Exciter. ;)

Posté Fri 13 Dec 13 @ 10:13 am
so what you are saying is that each does something else ,the EQ is used to give a certain sound signature ,the aphex ,to clean it and fill it up so to say ; the dac/amp would be used to give room of cleaning and filling ??
then the BBE if want add distortion ,which kind of taking your cup of coffee and better assimilate the mix the water and coffee and sugar be better blended together sort of ?

Posté Sun 15 Dec 13 @ 3:16 pm

Posté Mon 16 Dec 13 @ 12:05 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi Starstern

I realy think what you go for is very dependant on what you are trying to do. It goes without saying that the more equipment placed into the audio chain the more noise/distortion will result.

A mobile DJ might be looking to produce a heavier, more pronounced bass from a smaller system for example. This is fine and units like the Cosmos do a great job at producing just that. There is a catch though. You must have the additional amplifier power available to drive and power handling available in the speakers to take the additional signal level. Otherwise burned out bass drivers, fried amps or at the very least lots of distortion result. Used sparingly synthesizer units work wonders but over doing it lands you in a whole world of pain.

As a Live Sound Engineer I use the Aphex 204s Aural Exciter very gently to add additional clarity to Vocals. It works very well in this roll but again if overdone it sounds nasty fast. The Optical Big Bottom does a nice job at extending Bass persistance ( Note I dont say boosting the Bass) it gives a fatter bass end and warms up the sound but does not do this by just a boost the level. It stretches the envelope of each bass beat or hit so that the decay of each note is held for slightly longer. Both effects can if used correctly make a positive contribution to the sound without using any extra power.

Graphic EQ should be used to help match the system to the environment you are working in. Too often they just get used to boost top and bottom end (This can be done with Bass and Treble controls). The less is more rule applies here too. Use the Graphic to find and adjust out troublesome frequencies or gently raise system response to improve clarity. Changes of more than 6dB indicate real problems and if you find you need 12dB of boost at 63Hz then the system is not able to fill the space with the amount of bass desired. The answer is to go get a Sub or add more Sub's and enough Amp power to do the job, not drive an already straining system harder.

Daz

Posté Mon 16 Dec 13 @ 6:50 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
^^^^ And that, my friends, is why Daz is my hero! OK, hero might be too strong of a word. His knowledge is from years of work. His explanations are simple and to the point, without weighing the conversation down with a boat load of technical information. When it comes to live sound, if he's talking about it, I'm reading it. I've learned as much, if not more, from his posts than I have in 25+ years of dealing with sound professionally.

Posté Mon 16 Dec 13 @ 7:32 pm
anyone aware about the new exciter called digizoid z03 ? and how compares to aphex ?
wonder reason aphex so well known and popular over all the bunch ; see = http://www.quietplease.com/adsense/subharmonic/
is all due to its better performance ?

Posté Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 3:30 pm
91%