Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Audio dies after prolonged play

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

This continues to baffle me.
After 4-5 hours of play, i lose the audio signal. Just quits. I am using VDJ with a Denon HC4500 controller. Both the computer and controller act like nothing is wrong. They both operate normally, but the audio is gone. Sometimes the audio can be heard after this faintly and all distorted as if it is trying to come through. I have replicated this problems all 5 times I have used this set up. Failure occurs at 4:20, 4:40, 4:10, 4:45, etc of continuous play.

Dell Inspiron 5150 (2004). Plenty fast and runs very clean.

Here is what I know and have tried:
No AV, no internet connection, no wireless, no USB hub, onboard audio driver disabled, no scheduled tasks, no USB power timeouts or power saving issues, latest firmware for Denon controller, latest drivers, no driver conflicts. USB bandwidth is fine. BIOS is updated. Task Manager and Sysinternals process explorer show no CPU demands over 13% at any time. No paging or virtual memory problems. I have the date for I/O read and writes and other stuff at the time of the failure if that might be of use. No overheating of computer or denon controller built-in soundcard.

When problem occurs, I restart controller and VDJ software and everything is fine again for another 4+ hours.

WTF?

No one at Denon knows the answer although some have the same problem. It's either controller or VDJ as I have used other software and soundcards for longer with no issues.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening? It doesnt make sense that things could work perfectly for 4 1/2 hours or so and then start bugging out. It's as simple as this: what happens after 4 1/2 hours? What information or memory usage could max out after 4 hours? Do drivers suddenly decide to disagree with each other after 4 1/2 hours of use? There is some threshold being hit at that approximate time. What?

Help. I'm out of ideas.

Thank you.

Posté Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 12:47 am
could it be that MAYBE the soundcard goes into timeout/standby mode?
kinda like a computer does when it has been idle for a certain period of time, but in the case of the soundcard...continuous use.

Posté Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 2:31 am
i dont know. ive never heard of such a setting on a soundcard. and i dont know why the time it quits, then, is not exactly 4 hours and whatever, you know? also, the clue is the audio dies but then struggles to come through. it sounds really crummy and only for a second or so but the asio soundcard/or driver is functioning, barely ... just not very well.

btw, denon has been of little help. they dont believe it is their product or soundcard or driver. they put the blame somewhere in the computer and configuration. chipsets, driver package, etc. which, basically, means it could be anything related to my laptop and the select guys out there who have similar issues.

Posté Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 12:14 pm
Have you tried the things I suggested in my PM a couple of days ago?

Posté Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 4:42 pm
thanks kradcliff

Try running with directsound to eiminate the fact it's an Asio driver problem and see what happens.

USB port is NOT going into power saving mode. No hub. Bandwidth began and ended with 60% use.

I, too, was very suspect of the whole USB issue. Pushing a digital audio signal through the USB ports in a Dell which for the Inspiron 5150 are fairly underpowered. But this does not seem to be the issue. Especially considering that when the audio goes, I take that same USB connection to the Denon controller and plug it right into a AUdio8DJ external soundcard without restarting computer and I have audio. (I had to change the driver from the ASIO driver provided by Denon to the audio driver provided by NI's Audio8DJ.

Here is one more clue that had me posting here and no longer in Denon for answers:

After failure of sound, I restarted HC4500 and waited until it recognised VDJ which was still running on computer. It did and still no audio. However, I could not control anything in the VDJ software. I could load a song on the deck not in use, but on the deck that was playing when the audio failed, when I try to stop or pause or anything, nothing happens. When i try to load a different song into the deck that was playing when the audio quit, the message comes up warning me that a song is playing so I really want to load this one? When I finally clicked to quit VDJ, the message appeared saying, again, that a song was still playing, do I really want to quit? SO, obviously, VDJ is stuck thinking something is still playing when it isnt. It remains like this until i close VDJ and reopen. I dont know if this is normal behavior once you break the line of communication with software and the controller by restarting the controller?

Can any VDJ developers comment on what the program might be doing to "store up" data until there is just too much I/O data or something?

Posté Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 10:37 pm
oh, so I meant to ask: How do I use the Denon controller without using the ASIO soundcard? It will work just using my onboard soundcard and driver?

Posté Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 10:38 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)