Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet DJ Software & Media Controllers 101

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

enykoHome userMember since 2008
Hey guys,

Trying to make the transition to using software controllers to DJ. I'm on a Mac and am honestly looking into either using Scratch Live, Virtual DJ or Traktor. And deciding between Denon's DN3700 and Pio's CDJ400. But I get confused reading all these posts and was looking for some guidance.

Can you guys explain in very laymen's terms what time codes are and how they work? Midi? Native support? For example, when comparing the CDJ 400 to the DN 3700, I read that the CDJ has "native support" while the DN must use time codes or be midi mapped. I'm not sure what any of that means. Or what is the difference between using a player with time codes vs. midi? Do I need the time code discs in both of these players? What's the difference when players have internal sound cards or not? What will be the difference between these two players (not features) for using VDJ?

Sorry for the rambling questions but I just wrote them as they came to me.

If there is a post elsewhere, sorry but I couldn't find it. Please direct me to the post. Otherwise, please give us newbies a place to start.

Thanks!

Posté Sat 04 Apr 09 @ 11:00 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Midi device - Is a device that can be mapped, using midi signals/notes. The software reads the signals to enable it to do a certain function with in the software for example, if you have a midi mixer and you map the crossfader. When you move the crossfader, the crossfader in the software moves too.

Timecodes - Is a special code that is pressed into vinyl or burnt onto a CD, which can control the software and the mp3 playing in VirtualDJ. With vinyls, the needle picks up the signal, sends this signal up to the software (via a soundcard), which processes this signal. So when you stop the timecode, the software stops the mp3, when you scratch with the timecode, then the mp3 scratches, and so on. Timecodes are mainly aimed at DJ's or still like to play and mix with vinyl and CD's

Native support - All this means is a certain controller (midi device) has full operation of the software. Basically all you have to do is plug and play. There is no midi mapping needed to do by yourself. All the device commands are programmed in the software.

I've got to be off now, I Hope that helps you a little bit, lol

Posté Sat 04 Apr 09 @ 2:14 pm
I wanna get some s3700's too but they're not natively supported by any software right now cuz they're so new. I imagine that there will be native support soon for VDJ but as for serato and traktor i can't say. If you need some decks that have midi support right now I would say get the cdj's or a RMX but if you can wait I'd get the denons they look sweet, I'm gonna go to guitar center this week and check em out I'll let ya know how they are. You might also want to take into consideration that eventually pioneer will probably add midi to the cdj 800s and 1000s, so if you like those decks ya might wanna get something cheaper for now. Could be while on the other cdj's or it could be sooner, I just thought you should know. Hope that helps, good luck with your dicision.

Posté Sat 04 Apr 09 @ 9:35 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)