Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet VDJ and DJ Lighting

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi, im fairly new the VDJ, i am wanting to know what DJ/special effects lights can be hooked up to my laptop/computer so it can be controlled by VDJ, i saw the option to do so on VDJ, i just dont know what lights work this way, and how to connect them.

Someone please help me on this, Thankyou.

Posté Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 10:19 am
spool32PRO InfinityMember since 2007
You want to find a MIDI DMX light control box to interconnect the lights to your computer

Posté Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 8:07 pm
could you maybe give me some links to places i can get them??

Posté Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 10:22 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posté Fri 31 Jul 09 @ 10:51 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
The API also allows you to write your own DMX control; for example I've written a custom plugin for the DMX interface I use for small setups :)

Posté Fri 31 Jul 09 @ 12:53 pm
I would'nt reccomend you to use DMX lights through VirtualDJ. Get a DMX Controller or a USB or Ethernet DMX Interface and a software like Freestyler, LightFactory etc.
I use LightFactorry and an ENttec usb dmx interface, and i'm very satisfied with it.
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70403&show=description&name=lightfactoryprostarterpack

umm, well do you have any links to cheap DMX lights?? haha im new to DJing and i dont have very high standards, just need some links please

:) thankyou

Posté Fri 31 Jul 09 @ 2:32 pm
hacker991 wrote :
I would'nt reccomend you to use DMX lights through VirtualDJ. Get a DMX Controller or a USB or Ethernet DMX Interface and a software like Freestyler, LightFactory etc.
I use LightFactorry and an ENttec usb dmx interface, and i'm very satisfied with it.
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70403&show=description&name=lightfactoryprostarterpack

umm, well do you have any links to cheap DMX lights?? haha im new to DJing and i dont have very high standards, just need some links please

That depends on what you call cheap, the best route if money is an issue would be to go with sound-active lights. Here is a video I did about a great and inexpensive light made by American DJ...

DJ RuDe

Posté Fri 31 Jul 09 @ 6:11 pm
hacker991 wrote :

That depends on what you call cheap, the best route if money is an issue would be to go with sound-active lights. Here is a video I did about a great and inexpensive light made by American DJ...

youtube XZ49kwCR0og

DJ RuDe

thankyou for the post, i always favor American DJ products, love there foggers and light, but when i say cheap, i mean any cheap light that will work with virtual DJ, just need some links where i can order or look at them.

Thankyou

Posté Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 1:04 am
I don't think I'm allowed to link but I'll give you some info you can Google yourself. Look up the PAR 36 Pin Beam LED. Some are white LEDs that come with an optional colorwheel. This is only about $14 USD and about $30 with the colorwheel at PSSL.com or even Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Other than that you're not really going to find much and definitely not in DMX for under $100.

Check Craigslist or the Recycler.com (depending where you live in the U.S.) and even eBay for good used ones. Check your local classifieds and Pennysaver.

I'd stay away from buying halogen DJ lights, especially used ones because more than likely the bulbs are shot or broken in transport (the filaments are fragile). They have always been expensive to replace.

I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway, the DJ game is not a cheap one and if you want to make money, you need to spend some first. I got out of DJing in the mid to late 90's after divorcing my first wife. It took several years to get back where I was before financially and even then I took time to grow my business and to build my marriage and family with my new wife, (we're 11 1/2 years married now). Then after a few years of stability and my company's growth I took the DJ plunge again.

I believe in doing things right the first time. I didn't want to start out at the bottom and begin with cheap and inferior equipment because I knew that I wanted to put on the absolute best shows possible which is great for your clientele and future gigs . I know some guys don't believe in that and that's fine with me. The difference between my show and his will be a notable one. I attribute my success in my primary business to using the same strategy. This strategy won't work for everyone if you don't know what you're doing or if you're half-assed about it. You must put in 150% effort every time.

All the best equipment in the world won't make you a good DJ but it will make a good DJ a better one.

My point here is...If you have two DJs of equal ability and showmanship and the only difference between them is the quality of their gear, who do you think will have a more successful and quality show? You guessed it.

I know you don't have a bunch of $$ right now and I feel for you, I've been there. Maybe your best bet is to put 100% of your effort toward your main job, stash away some cash and then come back head-on with some really good gear. I know it's hard, I did it and it was worth the wait.

Good luck!

DJ RuDe

Posté Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 3:54 am
yea i have hallogen lights, but none are DMX, i guess all i can do is save up money like you said, i cant thank you enough for all the info you helped me with, i guess ill just have to start savin up all my money, and then split it when i have enough, im young, i have time haha

Thank you for everything

Posté Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 12:33 pm
hacker991 wrote :
Hi, im fairly new the VDJ, i am wanting to know what DJ/special effects lights can be hooked up to my laptop/computer so it can be controlled by VDJ, i saw the option to do so on VDJ, i just dont know what lights work this way, and how to connect them.

Someone please help me on this, Thankyou.

VDJ will control any DMX capable light, as long as you also purchase the special "USB dongle" that works with VDJ..
for a beginner DJ, I would NOT recommend this..

here is what I would recommend for you.. (based on my 15 years experience, as a working Pro DJ)

A usable "wow" lightshow needs three basic elements. 1.) colorfill (colorchangers, Par, spotlights), 2.) a centerpiece (a mirrowball, bliss lazer, martin wizard, etc etc, 3.)and moving effects. (scanners, moving heads, derby, mushroom, flower effect, etc etc)

START WITH THE COLORFILL!!! 4 cheap gelled pars on a stand, will give you bigger bang-for-the-buck then any amount of Derby's or Mushrooms.. You want something a little higher end? Go with an LED colorchanger/Par .. !AND! If you go with a DMX colorchanger set, you DONT need a controller (yet), as the built in sound-to-lights is usually pretty awesome on their own.

NEXT IS THE CENTERPIECE: you have 4 pars or colorchangers now, next is to decide on centerpiece.. the old Mirrowball effect is still popular, a modern update is the prismed LAZER's (bliss light, or chauvet scorpion storm, etc etc)..
the basic idea behind a centerpiece, is it should fill the whole room, and can be used by itself, or with other lights. it can be used for slow dances and for fast dances..

THIRD IS THE EFFECTS: most DJ's buy these first, and find out later in life it was a mistake.
A Derby, Flower, or Mushroom is a simple effect light. in the 'biz' we call these 'puke N Twirls' cause they basically just "twirl" and if you watch them for too long they make you want too puke .. LOL..
Scanners & Moving Heads, are usually the best 'effect' light (major WOW effect), but the investment to do it right is very high, and I wouldnt recommend it untill your ready to drop $4000 or more on your lightshow..

hippydog

Posté Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 12:39 pm
well, for now, i am just looking for a cheap light i can play around with with VDJ Pro, any ideas for me?

Posté Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 2:28 pm
hacker991 wrote :
well, for now, i am just looking for a cheap light i can play around with with VDJ Pro, any ideas for me?

I'm assuming you want to purchase a light so you can simply 'play around' and learn things.. right?

If thats the case.. lets do some learning :-) (I'm know my way around DJ lighting, if your willing to learn, I'm willing to teach..)

first step.. you need to find the correct 'dongle' that will work with VDJ..

hint: its made by Sunlite.

Posté Wed 05 Aug 09 @ 6:23 pm
he said "dongle" : )

Posté Thu 06 Aug 09 @ 9:55 am
I have the new MYDMX from American DJ, Will that work??

Posté Wed 12 Aug 09 @ 2:31 pm
I'm still new to the dmx lighting world. I would love to learn how to sync my lights to my shows using Virtual DJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posté Wed 12 Aug 09 @ 2:37 pm
I just bought a Laser lighting unit on a promotion sale from the manufacture brand new for 1/3 the normal cost. It can run on DMX or by sound. I wasn't realy shopping for lights, but couldn't pass up the deal. I'll let you know the quality and performance when it gets here and how you can get one. I like to test something out before I give them a free plug :-)

Posté Wed 12 Aug 09 @ 10:52 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)