Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet RMX electrick shock?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

cubasicHome userMember since 2009
Hey guy, wondering if anyone here could shed some light on this, ive just bought an RMX console, working great set up perfectly, the only problem is that maybe half the time i plug it in and touch the aluminium frame (any part) i can feel a really strong buzzing feeling on my fingers (it dosent hurt but its like a very small constant electric shock, kind of like the buzzing feeling when you put the ends of a 9v battery on your tongue). Anyone know why this is happening and ways to stop it?

Posté Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 8:49 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi mate

If you are shure that the feeling is electrical. This problem is usualy caused by having a difference in voltage between the chassis of two peices of equipment (Called Potential Difference). This is often, but not always caused by a faulty electrical earth and can be very dangerous.

Are you touching any other equipment at the same time?

Have a PAT test done onthe unit and make shure it is safe to use. If it fails return the unit ASAP for repair or replacement.

Make shure all your associated gear is in good working order and electricaly safe as the problem could be comming from another peice of equipment. If you are in any doubt have the gear PAT tested.

Above all, Be Carefull!!!!. If you are not shure Dont!!

Get a qualified electrician/engineer to check this out for you.

Happy New Year

Daz

Posté Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 9:45 am
cubasicHome userMember since 2009
Hey thanks man having it checked out asap, better safe than sorry

cheers =)

Posté Fri 08 Jan 10 @ 6:52 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
could also be down to static electricity which has been quite a common problem with the RMX.

Posté Fri 08 Jan 10 @ 6:55 pm
tayla wrote :
could also be down to static electricity which has been quite a common problem with the RMX.

I've been hearing about this more and more, especially in carpeted areas. Odd, though, when you consider that the RMX has ground posts on the back for TTs - Hmmmmmmmm...USB does have a ground in its wiring configuration, but what if the PC it's plugged into isn't grounded? The most common scenario where I would expect to see this would be with a laptop that has an ungrounded (two-prong) power adapter (like mine).

Posté Sat 09 Jan 10 @ 8:09 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Also this problem could be is the ground connections isn't a ground to earth but and electrical ground. Sometimes in a triphasic connection some call ground to a neutral line (that isn't neutral but used as reference in this 3 electrical phases installations) to one line that has electrical voltage in it. So just check with a professional, it could be nothing but just a bad ground or not.

Good luck!

Posté Sat 09 Jan 10 @ 11:39 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Posté Sun 10 Jan 10 @ 4:06 am
Static electric shocks don't buzz. Trust me on this, something is wrong. Static is DC and will give you a brief jolt or spark, anything that buzzes is AC and is related to the mains power supply.

Daz

Posté Sun 10 Jan 10 @ 3:36 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Dazmax wrote :
Static electric shocks don't buzz.

No, but it can effect sound cards. I had one night, using my iCDX and DXM01usb set up, that was a nightmare. Every time I would touch the set up it would shock (I was in a posh country club. Very deep pile carpeting). The sound cards in the DXM01usb would go crazy! JimmyB's suggestion of a static strap was the only way I could resolve the issue. Its a very low cost option to rule out other areas....

Posté Sun 10 Jan 10 @ 6:06 pm
True
Nothing like a good deep pile nylon carpet to build up a few thousand Volts on you. This can be fun when discharged into the punter who asks you for that O so annoying record again.But yeh not so cool to hit your computer with.

Daz

Posté Sun 10 Jan 10 @ 9:25 pm
Yeah, sensitive electronics and carpeting have never been the best of friends. That waist strap keeps sounding better and better, huh? ;)

Posté Sun 10 Jan 10 @ 9:41 pm
Hello Cubasic,

If the situation is an electrostatic issue on your Rmx, maybe the casing of your Rmx is not properly grounded, so you can ground it in the followng way:
- on the rear panel, remove the screw attaching the aluminium cover (close to the USB port)
- wind up a thin coper cable (360 degrees) on the screw, and reput in its original position the screw on the aluminium cover
- wind up the other side of the copper cable to the ground screw on the input 1-2.

But I doubt an electrostatic issue would cause a constant feeling of buzzing in your fingers, so as Dazmax I think a difference of potential is more likely to cause this feeling.

Posté Tue 12 Jan 10 @ 10:33 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)