Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Sharing my frist "DJ" experience.

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

WTFishHome userMember since 2010
Hi everybody.

I am really new to this, having only had my trial for a grand total of 4 days because I somehow got myself signed up as a "DJ" for a friends' 30th birthday. So I sat down and messed around with the program to get the basics of it and got really excited because of all the cool things you can do.

So, I don't have a Hercules or external sound card, nor a pair of earphones (because I just started), but I gave it a shot anyway.
Now, I mostly listen to techno/trance/dance and knew I would be playing for a small crowd who all were born around the 80's and who probably would not be likely to listen to my kind of music which made it kind of hard to decide what to play. On top of that, my library is a mixed box of chocolates that is very eccentric with the typical 80's library, some 90's, some hip hop/RnB/rap that I only have because...well because other people like the songs.

I kind of wanted to play the songs I wanted and beat match them all and I was able to do so at home with all the cues set up, sounding really good. But of course, when I started playing at the party itself, I realized that the music I had chosen was not what they wanted to hear and the first 30 minutes was a battle for me because I so dearly wanted to play the list I had prepared! I then realized, as someone here said in a guide to beginners, that your own list probably will only function as a guide to in which direction you want to steer the crowd. I realized that and it was a good lesson learned. I finally caught on and people started dancing and with some requests from guests and some miracle that made me find songs I didn't even know I had, the dance floor was moving and people were getting excited as they realized what the next song was. It was an amazing feeling for me and I got a lot of praise after I was done!

So I just wanted to share this first DJ'ing experience with you all. I know I don't have much practice and don't know how to use many techniques yet, other than beat matching and some loop and I don't have great speakers, just a Sony amplifier with some cheap tower speakers, which had a really hard time because people wanted to have it club loud which just wasn't gonna happen!

I am hoping to be able to afford some gear and to learn more about DJ'ing and looking forward to reading what you all have to say in this forum. So look for some n00b questions from me along the road.

Posté Sun 09 May 10 @ 10:01 am
Dyce590Home userMember since 2010
Congrats on the performance and experience. I too have a similar story. When I have time I will post it. Goodluck with your future DJ plans

Posté Mon 27 Dec 10 @ 1:38 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)