Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet How do you know you've gotten better?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

So this may sound like a silly question, but how do you know you've gotten "better". What would be an indication that your mixing has become better.

Posté Fri 14 Jan 11 @ 11:29 pm
when you start getting as general consensus that your mixes sound good from both the general audience and other fellow djs.

when you start getting gigs.

WHEN YOU START GETTING PAID GOOD.

Posté Sat 15 Jan 11 @ 2:32 pm
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
More Gigs And Give Out More Demo Of You New Mixes And If They Ask For More Then You Know What Up.

Posté Mon 17 Jan 11 @ 6:43 pm
Seana23PRO InfinityMember since 2010
When the neighbours stop banging on the wall and ya partner starts talking to you again...Lol!!!

Seriously though, You could post your mixes up on Soundcloud and get feedback from around the world!!! AND If you record EVERY mix (which VDJ lets you do) , you can listen back and you'll notice how much better your getting... or not!!!

If its not, then buy a fishing rod or some watercolour paint and try that instead!!!

Seana

XXX

Posté Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 5:11 pm
record mixes and playback while fishing. helps drown out the country crap i gotta play at work.

honestly the best sign in a club setting is the money and the dancefloor being full. if it sounds good, they will dance

Posté Mon 24 Jan 11 @ 1:36 am
strasoHome userMember since 2011
when you start to not use the "sync" feature...

Posté Tue 01 Feb 11 @ 7:45 pm
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
personally i think its at that moment when you ralise you just completed a transition you have never done before.

you know those "damn that was good" moments.

also you know your getting better when you realise your learning new skills and start researching things you didnt know existed. also you know your getting better when you begin to understand the thery surrounding the techniques youre using.

you know your getting better when you can mix on the fly with tracks youve never used before and pull off a good set.

over all you know your getting better from the moment you start practicing regularly and put your heart and thoughts into what you want to achieve.

as a prime example, ive been a hobbyist for around 10 years on and off so maybe 6 years in total. it wasnt untill new year i decided to take it a lot more serious. over the last month ive read hundreds of sites and practiced everything ive ever learned everyday for a good 4-5 hours.

ive also started carrying a notepad and writing down from my memory everything ive learned and researched over the time ive been hobbying. this lets me build up my knowlege base and has helped me realise i had a lot more skill and knowlege that i gave myself credit for.

i know im getting better because i can feel it. deep down in my heart of hearts i know im improving everyday. whether it is deck/mixing skills or in researching new techniques and trying my hardest to achive what i want.

look up "dj tutor" on youtube and watch his vids. itll help grab you by the short and curlys when you realise just how many questions it raises in your own mind.

theres 2 types of dj's

do'ers and dont'ers

if you want to get better you will do everything in your power to follow your dreams. if youre happy just playing away to yourself then chances are youll give up or your new fad will just fade out over time.

believe me i know.

in the words of elliskins practice and enjoy.

peace...

Posté Wed 02 Feb 11 @ 4:55 pm
Seana23PRO InfinityMember since 2010
wise words there babes...

swotty swotty swot swot!!! only joking!!!

Seana

XXX

Posté Fri 04 Feb 11 @ 4:11 pm
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
you know? you can always tell when a lady likes you......first the hurl abuse ^^^^^ and then before long they start beating you up. but please babe, no pans! those things hurt. lol

Posté Sun 06 Feb 11 @ 3:57 pm
AmaroqHome userMember since 2011
I'm still new at this. But while randomly mixing, I've experienced those "Whoa, this sounds amazing!" moments, and I've shuddered at those "Oh my god, this sounds horrible!" moments.

I'd say you've gotten better when you can consistently create "Whoa, this sounds amazing!" moments and consistently avoid "Oh my god, this sounds horrible!" moments. When you can bring about "amazing!" moments and avoid "uuugh!" moments consciously, purposefully, rather than by accident or luck.

Posté Mon 14 Feb 11 @ 8:30 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)