Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet First gig!

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hey guys, I've recently managed to get my first gig at a secondary school for 4th 5th and 6th years which is 15-17 year olds. I'm djing with a partner btw. Was just wondering if you guys have any tips on music and other such things? thanks.

Posté Thu 03 Feb 11 @ 6:28 am
Anyone?

Posté Thu 03 Feb 11 @ 1:53 pm
kass617PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I'd say stick to top 40 of the last 3 years (The pop and hip hop sings) and you should be ok...

Posté Thu 03 Feb 11 @ 3:23 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Yep, agree with the above, as it's your first gig keep to the more popular stuff from dance/rnb, charts, Neyo, Rihanna, Pink, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc.

Throw in some party cover versions, Girls Aloud, Ting Tings, Geri Halliwell etc, probably easiest way is listen to what they will be requesting, follow there lead but never play the same song more than once in every hour and never repeat a song if you can, especially if the party is going well.

Enjoy your gig.

Posté Sun 06 Feb 11 @ 3:31 am
Well, usually the school hires a mobile dj who plays rhianna etc. but lately there has been complaints from pupils saying, basically the music is rubbish and they will not return. So i think this is part of the reason I've managed to get the gig. Aswell as me playing there is going to be another professional dj playing who plays at local clubs and events and I was more thinking that I should be playing more electro kinda songs e.g boys noize, afrojack, erol alkan and so on. You may think this is risky but it's the kinda music we listen to at parties so surely its appropriate for this event too, right?

Posté Sun 06 Feb 11 @ 9:09 am
Seek permission off the school and leave a questionaire for type of music the kids want to hear on the night, any risque stuff you can clear with the school, at least the school will be impressed with the care you are taking for the entertainment of the kids.

Make sure you point out this is only for a guide and not actual requests for the night.

At least then the kids can't say you didn't play the music they wanted.

Posté Sun 06 Feb 11 @ 6:06 pm
These days Hip hop is just as popular dance music as EDM for kids maybe even more popular. Throw some top 40 in and a few mashups, but listen to your requests and read your audience. They will tell you what they consider cool. You are there to entertain them, so give them what they want to hear and you will be rebooked.

Posté Wed 01 Jul 15 @ 5:05 pm
That was four years ago. I assume he's done the gig!

Posté Wed 01 Jul 15 @ 5:43 pm
He played a blinder, last I heard he's still playing...

Posté Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 6:43 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)